Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PCA 914 Special Interest Group
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jdamiano
I wanted to introduce myself as the Porsche Club of America's 914 Special Interest Group Advocate. At last years Octeenerfest Banquet concerns were raised the SIG had been disbanded and a new Advocate was needed for it to be reestablished. I threw my name in the hat and it was drawn. Im sure there are more qualified folks but Im it.

PCA has helped with 2 successful events on the East Coast since I took on the role. We helped Len out with the Northeast 914 Anniversary Gathering with a $500.00 sponsorship and liability insurance and more recently we provided Steven with liability insurance for the Teenerpaluza event in the Smokey Mountains. Thanks to both Len and Steven for putting on great events and I hope they happen again next year.

I have an understanding of the process now that I have done a couple events so if anyone is interested in having PCA support any 914 exclusive events please contact me. I check my messages here often. I will need a couple months heads up to coordinate with the local PCA region and get the paperwork sorted.

Lastly if you are a Facebook user please join the group I created https://www.facebook.com/groups/584336899059249/ and post any events you might be having as well as event pictures.

Regards,
James Damiano
gfg3
Great idea! I just joined via Facebook. We have several events and car shows here in southern Virginia. A little slow right now, but I'll keep you posted as things open up.

George
IronHillRestorations
Congratulations James! I know you'll be good for the SIG, thanks!!!
SirAndy
Just make sure PCNA doesn't send their layers after you because you used the number 914 anywhere to promote your events.

Ask me how i know ...
dry.gif

76-914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 10 2020, 02:09 PM) *

Just make sure PCNA doesn't send their layers after you because you used the number 914 anywhere to promote your events.

Ask me how i know ...
dry.gif

I did that dance with Warner Communications 30 years ago. Before that I'd never heard of Patent's Atty's. av-943.gif Andy, just be glad the Coca Cola lawyers didn't come after you. They're the worst. beerchug.gif
Mike Bellis
914 SIG sucks. I tried to get involved years ago but it fell on deaf ears. Since then I've dropped my PCA membership because all I got out of it was a magazine and it's not as good now that Pete has left.

Vu Nguyen sure wants my money though. Keeps sending me emails to return. How is he in charge of the PCA anyway? Seems like an oligarchy with him as the sole benefactor.

I don't think you will pry many 914's away from this site. 914 SIG has nothing to offer. Nothing at all. There's more knowledge here and less BS than the PCA.

PanelBilly
When I organized the 914Turnout last year the local region helped me out quite a bit . I didn't try to use their insurance because I didn't want to run the driving portion by the rules they set. I did get a fair amount of free ads in the local magazine and a follow up story for those who missed the fun. Wish I could have had some financial backing
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Nov 10 2020, 11:27 PM) *

914 SIG sucks. I tried to get involved years ago but it fell on deaf ears. Since then I've dropped my PCA membership because all I got out of it was a magazine and it's not as good now that Pete has left.

Vu Nguyen sure wants my money though. Keeps sending me emails to return. How is he in charge of the PCA anyway? Seems like an oligarchy with him as the sole benefactor.

I don't think you will pry many 914's away from this site. 914 SIG has nothing to offer. Nothing at all. There's more knowledge here and less BS than the PCA.

Mike,
The 914SIG actually provides money from PCA to hold 914 events. We almost or maybe did get money for Mammoth. It wasn’t much, like $300? But nothing to sneeze at...
Big Len
James and the PCA did a great job on our hastily arranged Northeast Anniversary Gathering in July. I look forward to working with him next year.
Manny Alban
Congrats James. I'm sure you'll do a great job. Because PCA has an exclusive agreement with Porsche AG and PCNA to use the Porsche crest, script, images, etc, you CAN use 914 without fear of an email from Porsche's legal department. I'm sure John DeAngelo who is the National SIG guy has the paperwork to show what the rules for using their CI.

SIG's, much like the rest of PCA, is run by volunteers and is only as good as the volunteers who run it. The National office ( Vu heads that and manages the paid employees-not the volunteers) is there to solely provide support for the volunteers. PCA is 'run' by volunteers. The Executive Council (President, VP, Sec, etc) are all volunteers along with the close to 200 national staff (once again, all volunteers).

You don't have to decide between 914 World and the PCA 914 SIG anymore than to have to decide between PCA and the POC. You can belong to all of them. It shouldn't be viewed as us vs. them but rather a full glass of 914 enthusiasts sharing camaraderie that makes this little car so special.

I think it's great to see the PCA SIG revived with a new young leader. I joined PCA in 1989 with my 72 1.7 and my 73 2.0 is still my favorite.
87turbolook911
QUOTE(jdamiano @ Nov 10 2020, 02:32 PM) *

I wanted to introduce myself as the Porsche Club of America's 914 Special Interest Group Advocate. At last years Octeenerfest Banquet concerns were raised the SIG had been disbanded and a new Advocate was needed for it to be reestablished. I threw my name in the hat and it was drawn. Im sure there are more qualified folks but Im it.

PCA has helped with 2 successful events on the East Coast since I took on the role. We helped Len out with the Northeast 914 Anniversary Gathering with a $500.00 sponsorship and liability insurance and more recently we provided Steven with liability insurance for the Teenerpaluza event in the Smokey Mountains. Thanks to both Len and Steven for putting on great events and I hope they happen again next year.

I have an understanding of the process now that I have done a couple events so if anyone is interested in having PCA support any 914 exclusive events please contact me. I check my messages here often. I will need a couple months heads up to coordinate with the local PCA region and get the paperwork sorted.

Lastly if you are a Facebook user please join the group I created https://www.facebook.com/groups/584336899059249/ and post any events you might be having as well as event pictures.

Regards,
James Damiano

Thanks James for stepping up! Looking forward to seeing more 914 events once the world gets back to normal. As for me, hoping to get my '72 1.7 back together next year.

Vu
Cairo94507
The more exposure our cars get the better for all of us. beerchug.gif
racer914
QUOTE(Manny Alban @ Nov 11 2020, 11:47 AM) *

Congrats James. I'm sure you'll do a great job. Because PCA has an exclusive agreement with Porsche AG and PCNA to use the Porsche crest, script, images, etc, you CAN use 914 without fear of an email from Porsche's legal department. I'm sure John DeAngelo who is the National SIG guy has the paperwork to show what the rules for using their CI.

SIG's, much like the rest of PCA, is run by volunteers and is only as good as the volunteers who run it. The National office ( Vu heads that and manages the paid employees-not the volunteers) is there to solely provide support for the volunteers. PCA is 'run' by volunteers. The Executive Council (President, VP, Sec, etc) are all volunteers along with the close to 200 national staff (once again, all volunteers).

You don't have to decide between 914 World and the PCA 914 SIG anymore than to have to decide between PCA and the POC. You can belong to all of them. It shouldn't be viewed as us vs. them but rather a full glass of 914 enthusiasts sharing camaraderie that makes this little car so special.

I think it's great to see the PCA SIG revived with a new young leader. I joined PCA in 1989 with my 72 1.7 and my 73 2.0 is still my favorite.

Well said Manny and I totally agree with you. I lurk on this site almost everyday but I'm very involved as a volunteer with PCA and have been since 1978. I've had many 914's. sold them all but couldn't help myself and bought another one. I love these cars and really enjoy the camaraderie of the folks that have them. Thanks James for stepping into the spot...look forward to meeting you since we are close by. beerchug.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 11 2020, 08:53 AM) *

Mike,
The 914SIG actually provides money from PCA to hold 914 events. We almost or maybe did get money for Mammoth. It wasn’t much, like $300? But nothing to sneeze at...

BFD... Next time I'll throw in $301 for the cause.

I first joined the PCA in 2006, when I bought a C2 wide body cabriolet. (Porsche Owner since 1990) I had been a member to various other car clubs and thought I would give it a try. I had a bunch of fun adventures with the PCA and everyone treated me like family.

Then I sold the C2 and bought another 914.

While in the PCA I did meet some great people. But, a higher percentage of them rubbed me the wrong way with pretentious attitudes. Probably doesn't help that In my particular region is filled with white collar high income earners and this was my first outing with them in my V8 914. I got a lot of snubbed noses from members. Little did they know that with my POS 914, ripped up Vans shoes and flannel shirt that I also fall into this same income demographic... (no student loan debt either) Suddenly I was the black sheep in the group. Everywhere the Porsche caravan would stop, spectators were more interested in the 914 than a regular 911.

I joined 914 World as this is where the most like-minded, down to Earth 914 owners are located. I was in PCA and here, hoping to bridge a gap and gain respect for the 914.

I reached out directly to the 914 SIG to offer help in the initial stages of the group. CHAPPA DON'T WANT NO HELP, CHAPPA DON'T GET NO HELP. FUCH IT...

Then Pete Stout left and the Magazine went down hill. They removed the classifieds to save money but got so many complaints they had to put it back. This is the #1 reason we wanted the mag. Every other page in the magazine is a paid advertisement. There is no reason this should not be a huge profit center. Who is embezzling all the income? Nobody? Then you need a better marketing department to sell ad space.

PCA and 914 SIG wants to control everything their name is associated with. Fine, no problem.

Go back over there and promote 914 love... I doubt the unique daily user count justifies the web server cost. Look what happened to 914club.com icon8.gif

I'm old and grumpy. stirthepot.gif
Betty
QUOTE(87turbolook911 @ Nov 11 2020, 12:11 PM) *

Thanks James for stepping up! Looking forward to seeing more 914 events once the world gets back to normal. As for me, hoping to get my '72 1.7 back together next year.

Vu

Glad to see you aboard Vu! Got some pictures of your cars? We love pictures! cheer.gif
welcome.png thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(87turbolook911 @ Nov 11 2020, 10:11 AM) *

Vu

welcome.png

Still have those trim pieces I sent for your 914? wink.gif
87turbolook911
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Nov 11 2020, 05:57 PM) *

QUOTE(87turbolook911 @ Nov 11 2020, 10:11 AM) *

Vu

welcome.png

Still have those trim pieces I sent for your 914? wink.gif

Yes sir, can't wait to put them on!
87turbolook911
QUOTE(Betty @ Nov 11 2020, 05:54 PM) *

QUOTE(87turbolook911 @ Nov 11 2020, 12:11 PM) *

Vu

Glad to see you aboard Vu! Got some pictures of your cars? We love pictures! cheer.gif
welcome.png thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

How about a video of when I got it? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5w2hfKKP30

Will dig up some pics too!
VegasRacer
Hello James @jdamiano Thanks for volunteering. crest.gif

The next major western 914 event will most likely be the 17th annual Route 66 Classic in the spring of 2021. (I am often the planner for the Rt 66.)
Please help me understand exactly what it is you and the SIG are offering?
Can you provide awards, prizes, sponsorship, hosted banquet, gas money or ? ? ?
What restrictions come with the PCA insurance?
Is PCA membership required for attendees?
Will there be fees involved?
How can you help make our event better?

I don't / won't use Facebook.
The http://914world.com/ community feeds my addiction for all things 914 related.

Happy Motoring,
John
25 year PCA member
HPDE Instructor
jdamiano
QUOTE(racer914 @ Nov 11 2020, 04:52 PM) *

QUOTE(Manny Alban @ Nov 11 2020, 11:47 AM) *

Well said Manny and I totally agree with you. I lurk on this site almost everyday but I'm very involved as a volunteer with PCA and have been since 1978. I've had many 914's. sold them all but couldn't help myself and bought another one. I love these cars and really enjoy the camaraderie of the folks that have them. Thanks James for stepping into the spot...look forward to meeting you since we are close by. beerchug.gif

Are you Ryan that reached out to Nathan today about the event in St. Augustine next month? I’m planning to be there with mine.
MM1
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Nov 11 2020, 04:54 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 11 2020, 08:53 AM) *

Mike,

BFD... Next time I'll throw in $301 for the cause.

I first joined the PCA in 2006, when I bought a C2 wide body cabriolet. (Porsche Owner since 1990) I had been a member to various other car clubs and thought I would give it a try. I had a bunch of fun adventures with the PCA and everyone treated me like family.

Then I sold the C2 and bought another 914.

While in the PCA I did meet some great people. But, a higher percentage of them rubbed me the wrong way with pretentious attitudes. Probably doesn't help that In my particular region is filled with white collar high income earners and this was my first outing with them in my V8 914. I got a lot of snubbed noses from members. Little did they know that with my POS 914, ripped up Vans shoes and flannel shirt that I also fall into this same income demographic... (no student loan debt either) Suddenly I was the black sheep in the group. Everywhere the Porsche caravan would stop, spectators were more interested in the 914 than a regular 911.

I joined 914 World as this is where the most like-minded, down to Earth 914 owners are located. I was in PCA and here, hoping to bridge a gap and gain respect for the 914.

I reached out directly to the 914 SIG to offer help in the initial stages of the group. CHAPPA DON'T WANT NO HELP, CHAPPA DON'T GET NO HELP. FUCH IT...

Then Pete Stout left and the Magazine went down hill. They removed the classifieds to save money but got so many complaints they had to put it back. This is the #1 reason we wanted the mag. Every other page in the magazine is a paid advertisement. There is no reason this should not be a huge profit center. Who is embezzling all the income? Nobody? Then you need a better marketing department to sell ad space.

PCA and 914 SIG wants to control everything their name is associated with. Fine, no problem.

Go back over there and promote 914 love... I doubt the unique daily user count justifies the web server cost. Look what happened to 914club.com icon8.gif

I'm old and grumpy. stirthepot.gif

I'm sure you hear this all the time @ Mike Bellis , but I truly appreciate your candor . . . usually sparks a chuckle or smile (at least for me). It a bit like when I add cayenne to my gumbo - I feel a little evilgrin.gif and then I do a lot of stirring. . . stirthepot.gif

Keep it going!

Should have said this Tuesday, but Happy 245th to Our Marine Corp - Semper Fi - oorah!
Mark Henry
14carrot runs SIG 914 in Canada, maybe ask him for advice.
You wont have copyright issues because they would tell you straight up if there's an issue.

I have to space for a show but the biggest issue is insurance, I'm not getting sued because some dumbass can't zip up his fly without getting his beans caught.
Just for a bbq, part of 50th SIG 914, John had $2mil coverage through the local PCA at no cost.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 13 2020, 02:17 PM) *

14carrot runs SIG 914 in Canada, maybe ask him for advice.
You wont have copyright issues because they would tell you straight up if there's an issue.

I have to space for a show but the biggest issue is insurance, I'm not getting sued because some dumbass can't zip up his fly without getting his beans caught.
Just for a bbq, part of 50th SIG 914, John had $2mil coverage through the local PCA at no cost.

And that is why the PCA SIG is a good thing. Sure, you get some money, but the insurance is the key. If someone gets hit by a car at the West Coast Classic, they can sue the event organizers, and the event organizers can lose everything they own. If someone gets hit by a car at Okteenerfest, PCA insurance handles it.

Mblizzard
Joined up!
71six
I requested to join the PCA 914 Registry on Facebook several days ago and have not gotten a response so far. sad.gif

Mark
DRPHIL914
great to hear this is back up and going, sorry i missed the Teenerpalooza it will be back next year hopefully. just requested to join the facebook group as well. i spend a lot more time on instagram these days though....
jdamiano
QUOTE(71six @ Nov 13 2020, 06:19 PM) *

I requested to join the PCA 914 Registry on Facebook several days ago and have not gotten a response so far. sad.gif

Mark

You should be good now. I see two Marks have joined.
71six
QUOTE(jdamiano @ Nov 13 2020, 04:48 PM) *

QUOTE(71six @ Nov 13 2020, 06:19 PM) *

Mark

You should be good now. I see two Marks have joined.

Nope not yet.
stevend914
QUOTE(71six @ Nov 13 2020, 05:19 PM) *

Mark

I also sent a request 3 days ago with no response

Steve
jdamiano
QUOTE(stevend914 @ Nov 14 2020, 04:09 PM) *

QUOTE(71six @ Nov 13 2020, 05:19 PM) *

Mark

I also sent a request 3 days ago with no response

Steve

Steve,
I think I have it set that anyone can join without a request and response. It has about 65 members right now and I haven’t Received or responded to any requests. Try again and PM if it doesn’t just let you join.
jdamiano
Well I learned something new today. I needed to log into the Facebook Group using my PC instead of my phone to accept the members. Thanks to my friend Chris for the heads up.
AZBanks
I don't do facebook. I do mewe and gab.
TX914
I was a member in early 2000s. PCA helped us put on some events.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.