Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wiper parking
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ThinAir
When I shut off the wipers on my '73 in mid-swipe, they go all the way to the bottom of their travel, then go part-way back up and stop in a position that is too high. If I time it just right, I can get them to stop at the bottom where I want.

I've been reading lots of threads on the wiper system and I think that since they stop in a consistent place, it means that they are parking correctly and I just need to reposition the arm. Before I go through pulling the tank, etc I want to make sure I'm not missing something. After reading about the electrical part of the parking system, I'm hoping that I don't have to mess with it. I don't think I can just reposition the wiper arms on their shafts (it's been awhile since I checked that & I don't remember why).

Thanks for your advice.
IronHillRestorations
Changing the wiper arm location will make it park wherever you want. Real fix is unbolting the rack from the wiper motor and repositioning it slightly, but that's a major hassle.
ThinAir
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Nov 11 2020, 05:55 AM) *

Changing the wiper arm location will make it park wherever you want. Real fix is unbolting the rack from the wiper motor and repositioning it slightly, but that's a major hassle.

Thanks Perry. I have other reasons to pull the tank, etc. I'm going to try repositioning the arms and see how it goes. No sense taking on more than is needed.
rgalla9146
Be careful here.
If the first motion is down toward the cowl (drivers side)you may damage paint and
more by just moving the arms.
It sounds to me that you have to reposition the arm on the motor.
That arm determines park position.
If you are double jointed it may be possible to reach that 10mm nut to reposition
the first arm. Due to the tight space it may be easier to park the arms on the
passenger side. It was a fashion at one time.
Do all your experimentation with the arms off.
Rory
BillC
To protect the paint while adjusting the arm on the wiper motor, unbolt the wiper arms and use masking tape to make "flags" on the wiper shafts.

The flags will give you a reference for adjusting the drive arm, and won't hurt the paint if you go too far with the adjustment.

You want to adjust the drive arm so each flag comes down and stops without any upward motion. It's a bit of a pain because the correct position has the drive arm inline with the link, so it can be hard to tighten the retaining nut once everything is lined up.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(BillC @ Nov 11 2020, 05:39 PM) *

To protect the paint while adjusting the arm on the wiper motor, unbolt the wiper arms and use masking tape to make "flags" on the wiper shafts.

The flags will give you a reference for adjusting the drive arm, and won't hurt the paint if you go too far with the adjustment.

You want to adjust the drive arm so each flag comes down and stops without any upward motion. It's a bit of a pain because the correct position has the drive arm inline with the link, so it can be hard to tighten the retaining nut once everything is lined up.

Perfect.
The last sentence illustrates why you may to choose to park on the pass. side.
Another caution......never open your front hood with the wiper arms lifted off the
glass.
Rory
fixer34
Did the right/passenger side conversion to mine years ago. Looks a little strange because I never bothered to modify the wiper arms so the blades sit a little lower, but I wanted the unobstructed vision on the driver's side. Don't drive it in the rain unless I absolutely have to.
The green one in the middle...

Click to view attachment
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(BillC @ Nov 11 2020, 03:39 PM) *

This is a good idea biggrin.gif
ThinAir
I had some time (and nice weather) today to experiment. I discovered that my wiper arms were switched (the bent one should be on the passenger side, I think). I also narrowed down why repositioning the wiper arms didn't get me what I want.

Click to view attachment

This shows the wipers in parked position. When I turn on the wipers, they move down to the point where the blades almost touch the chrome, then they move up in their normal sweep. This park position is higher than I want - I'd really like the wipers to park so that driver's side wiper is splitting the difference between the current position and the lower chrome.

Is the "drop down, then sweep" normal functionality? If so, then I think I'm chasing something that I can's achieve. Is the amount of drop adjustable by repositioning something on the wiper rack? Can it be eliminated all together so that the wipers park at the bottom of their sweep?

Thanks for all the previous tips. Using tape flags was a very useful trick!
bandjoey
Moved the arms to the passenger side...will not go back + I'm short and it increases visibility
altitude411
QUOTE(ThinAir @ Nov 13 2020, 01:24 PM) *

This shows the wipers in parked position. When I turn on the wipers, they move down to the point where the blades almost touch the chrome, then they move up in their normal sweep. This park position is higher than I want - I'd really like the wipers to park so that driver's side wiper is splitting the difference between the current position and the lower chrome.

Is the "drop down, then sweep" normal functionality? NO

If so, then I think I'm chasing something that I can's achieve. Is the amount of drop adjustable by repositioning something on the wiper rack? YES

Can it be eliminated all together so that the wipers park at the bottom of their sweep? YES

Wiper in parked position should have driver side just off the chrome trim (red arrow)
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
QUOTE(ThinAir @ Nov 13 2020, 03:24 PM) *

I had some time (and nice weather) today to experiment. I discovered that my wiper arms were switched (the bent one should be on the passenger side, I think). I also narrowed down why repositioning the wiper arms didn't get me what I want.

Click to view attachment

Is the "drop down, then sweep" normal functionality? If so, then I think I'm chasing something that I can's achieve. Is the amount of drop adjustable by repositioning something on the wiper rack? Can it be eliminated all together so that the wipers park at the bottom of their sweep?

Thanks for all the previous tips. Using tape flags was a very useful trick!

The first movement down is not right.
It is corrected by repositioning the the small arm that is attached directly to the
wiper motor.
Some have succeded in doing this by removing any obstruction possible to gain a
view and access to that first arm.
Disconnect the battery.
Remove the wiper arms first and put 'flags ' on the shafts as suggested.
Loosen the 10mm nut on the motor shaft and pop the small arm loose. Leave the
nut on.
If the space prevents you from doing this, the job will involve removing the gas
tank and air control box.
Reconnnect the battery. Flick the wipers 'on' then off quickly.
Use a wiper arm to move the shafts to the drivers side bottom.
Remove the wiper arm. Reattach the motor arm. Reconnect the battery. Test.
Determine what you have. Adjust until correct.
May take a few tries.
Don't test with the wiper arm on !
ThinAir
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Nov 13 2020, 08:24 PM) *

It is corrected by repositioning the the small arm that is attached directly to the
wiper motor.
Some have succeded in doing this by removing any obstruction possible to gain a
view and access to that first arm.
Disconnect the battery.
Remove the wiper arms first and put 'flags ' on the shafts as suggested.
Loosen the 10mm nut on the motor shaft and pop the small arm loose. Leave the
nut on.
If the space prevents you from doing this, the job will involve removing the gas
tank and air control box.
Reconnnect the battery. Flick the wipers 'on' then off quickly.
Use a wiper arm to move the shafts to the drivers side bottom.
Remove the wiper arm. Reattach the motor arm. Reconnect the battery. Test.
Determine what you have. Adjust until correct.
May take a few tries.
Don't test with the wiper arm on !

Thank you to you and altitude411 for these last 2 responses. This gives me a much clearer picture of what I need to do.

Unfortunately, we're starting the cold weather season here in Flagstaff and I don't have a garage so I'll have to see when I get some nice days to tackle this job. I'm sure it's going to be awhile, but now I know what to do.
sixnotfour
you looked pretty happy with this wiper park position beerchug.gif
ThinAir
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 14 2020, 08:21 AM) *

you looked pretty happy with this wiper park position beerchug.gif

agree.gif driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.