Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebel Racing Still in Business?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxster914
Was wondering if anyone has heard from them, been able to contact them or placed/received orders? I was going to get the coil overs from them and I had a great conversation with I think his name was Clint a few weeks ago but now there is no answer and they are not taking voicemail messages.
Steve
QUOTE(boxster914 @ Nov 11 2020, 11:12 AM) *

Was wondering if anyone has heard from them, been able to contact them or placed/received orders? I was going to get the coil overs from them and I had a great conversation with I think his name was Clint a few weeks ago but now there is no answer and they are not taking voicemail messages.

Can you place an order? They are known for bad customer service and going dark. I typically place an order and a couple of days later I will get a shipping notice. I have not purchased anything lately.
jd74914
Yep, they are known for atrocious customer service. Steve is lucky in terms of placing and order and getting product in a reasonable time. I have had the opposite experience and waited a while. Clint makes nice stuff, but the business side is not very good.

(Before someone starts arguing here...I know people say you should expect to wait for boutique parts and that small vendors don't have time to communicate, but in my world that is unacceptable.)
jim_hoyland
my experience with Clint and RR has been good. I suspect he runs the business himself. In any case, no one had a bad word in the past.
Good luck.
rhodyguy
Try Paragon.
mepstein
Clint is a great guy but hit or miss when it comes to answering the phone.
mb911
When I can't get Clint I just call his dad.. If you need anything from them I can order it for you.. I kind of have the secret handshake type of deal..
jmitro
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Nov 11 2020, 04:54 PM) *
(Before someone starts arguing here...I know people say you should expect to wait for boutique parts and that small vendors don't have time to communicate, but in my world that is unacceptable.)

agreed!

I had poor communication with Rebel Racing also. But at one point I did order a part from the website and received it in fairly good time.
twistedstang
My experience with them was fine. A year after buying some parts I even sent an email asking a question and received an answer back the same day.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 12 2020, 02:58 PM) *

When I can't get Clint I just call his dad.. If you need anything from them I can order it for you.. I kind of have the secret handshake type of deal..

smile.gif
Luke M
I saw a thread over on Pelican where several members are having issues too. Sounds like the owner is just way too busy to keep up with demand. I'm sure covid issues do not help the cause either. Here in WNY things are starting to closeup or shops not taking any work in. I'm glad I got all my machine shop work done and back.
sixnotfour
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Nov 13 2020, 05:46 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 12 2020, 02:58 PM) *

smile.gif

I got some 911 oil lines from him, ordered, paid, deliver...never spoke a word , just delivered.
stownsen914
Sounds like people's experiences have been inconsistent. I've ordered a couple times and got my stuff, including recently. Spent some time on the phone with Clint to discuss fitment for a custom application, and he was helpful.
Mendivil26
Hello,
So It's been over a month since I sent my struts and A-arms for restoration & spindle relocation over to Clint and I haven't heard back from him.
Not even a confirmation that he received them.

I've kept calling and sending emails with no answer at all.

I understand he might be swamped with work but at least some acknowledgement that he received my stuff would be nice. I already paid in advance for everything.

In your guys' opinion, how worried should I be?
What would the lead time on a job like this normally be?
NARP74
These are usually the sounds that a business makes right before they go under. I know nothing about these guys, just observations from other car projects I have worked on.
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(Mendivil26 @ Jul 27 2021, 02:20 PM) *

Hello,
So It's been over a month since I sent my struts and A-arms for restoration & spindle relocation over to Clint and I haven't heard back from him.

I understand he might be swamped with work but at least some acknowledgement that he received my stuff would be nice. I already paid in advance for everything.

Have a few RR parts on my 930, they’re 2nd to none imo . His hit and miss communication has been going on for at least the past 10 years, doubt it will ever change. Always got what I needed from him, and he’s generally a nice and helpful guy when you do get ahold of him.

My suggestion would be to take up Ben @mb911 on his offer, see if he could reach out and get an update on your parts.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Mendivil26 @ Jul 27 2021, 05:20 PM) *

My backlog on work like that ranges from a few weeks up to 6 months or so depending on other workload. However I think my product line is more diverse than Rebel's and suspension mods is only a small percentage of what I do.
Small changes in workload have a large effect on a one man business. Earlier this year nearly all my products were out of stock after a busier than normal winter. I'm only now getting back to a more timely turnaround on most product orders.

During busy times I'm not good at replying to inquiries but I usually don't let someone go past a third attempt at communication before I respond.

Remain calm. I doubt anything has gone wrong.
mepstein
QUOTE(Mendivil26 @ Jul 27 2021, 05:20 PM) *

Hello,

It’s typical for Clint. He’s an honest guy, at least in my dealings with him when I worked at the shop but will reply on his own time.
mb911
Not gonna make excuses for Clint as I waited recently for an order that took waaay longer then I liked but it did happen. I know that his business is very much like my business and not always a full time business. Not gonna share any of his personal obligations but he has a family and that trumps all other obligations and that is also my approach.

He will NOT screw anyone but the process takes a while to getting parts. I can also speak to delays in getting materials is huge. There is almost zero media coverage of how bad the metal shortage is and that also greatly effects time lines..
iankarr
I’m a huge believer in supporting our vendors. Especially the smaller ones who may not have the inventory or fulfillment capability of larger ones. I’m also a a huge believer that there’s no excuse for poor communication…especially today. Text, email, FB messenger, there are a gazillion ways to tell customers that you’re running behind, and appreciate their patience. It’s common courtesy. It can even be set up as an auto responder which takes zero effort.
mepstein
QUOTE(iankarr @ Jul 28 2021, 11:01 AM) *

I’m a huge believer in supporting our vendors. Especially the smaller ones who may not have the inventory or fulfillment capability of larger ones. I’m also a a huge believer that there’s no excuse for poor communication…especially today. Text, email, FB messenger, there are a gazillion ways to tell customers that you’re running behind, and appreciate their patience. It’s common courtesy. It can even be set up as an auto responder which takes zero effort.

Ian - You are absolutely correct but if you buy from rebel you just have to accept the way it is. Sometimes the evil geniuses of this world don’t play by the normal rules.

In some circles, exclusively and long waits just make it more desirable. biggrin.gif
Mendivil26
Just to keep everyone in the loop and clear up Clint's bad rap this post might have created.

5 weeks after I placed my order and him not answering my calls or emails in the meantime; he called me on a Saturday to let me know that he's currently finishing up my struts and putting everything together to ship them the following week.

Now this is great, I'm sure he did a great job and all, but I did mention him that some communication during that time would have been nice. It does sound like he's barely keeping up with orders and business has kept him busy, but it's still not a good enough reason to not answer emails or voice mails in my opinion.

I'm all about supporting small businesses and would definitely consider buying from him again, he's trying his best and definitely not trying to scam anyone; but like others have said before, just be prepared for a sub-par customer service/communication.
JamesM
I vaguely remember having a similar experience years ago when I bought my front bushing setup from RSR. The nature of being a one man shop.

One thing I discovered since then is that some other vendors carry RSR parts. So if you want quicker communication in this case it may be better to go with one of the resellers and let them be the middle man.

https://www.tarett.com/items/911-products/9...rfbk-detail.htm

https://www.tarett.com/items/914-products/9...k914-detail.htm

https://www.tarett.com/items/914-products/9...rcom-detail.htm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.