Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Distributor Drive Gear
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TX914
While the engine is out I pulled the distributor to clean and lub it and noticed the drive gear is oriented with the slot parallel to the long axis of the engine while at TDC #1 (see photo). The book says it should be 12 deg off axis. I assume this is so there is room for the vacuum canister to clear when setting the timing. As far as I know it's been oriented like this for years, unless it's possible for the drive gear to get lifted up and repositioned when pulling out the distributor - is that possible? If no, and it's been like this for years is it really worth pulling it out to reposition it? I'm concerned about dropping the oiler washer underneath it into the case!

BeatNavy
It is possible to pull and reorient the drive gear. And you are correct, you need to be careful about not losing the washer. I believe this can most easily be accomplished with a tappet puller.

Here you go: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...st&p=105399
TX914
Thanks for the info Rob. The question is do I have to? I don't want to rick dropping that washer unless I have to!
BeatNavy
No, you don't have to as long as you have the range of motion to move the dizzy to the proper timing setting. If you're able to get the timing set properly, I wouldn't bother risking it for the small change you would be making. If it was 180 degrees out, I might reconsider, mainly because firing order/plug wire orientation can get confusing at that point.
TX914
Thanks Rob. I can only assume it was positioned this way during a rebuild several years ago. I have been able to set timing fine in the past, assuming of course the gear did not move when I pulled the distributor. I did a test reinstall and set static timing... I see there is not much room between the canister and the air flap rod (may 5 mm).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.