Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB CV joints '73 1.7
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
pastormacman
UPDATE BELOW

On the way home tonight I heard a pop in my transmission when downshifting into 2nd turning a corner. As I accelerated and disengaged the clutch pedal, there was no power to the wheels and I heard clunking sounds from under the car. I engaged the clutch and pulled over immediately. I was able to shit into 1st, but as I started to disengage the clutch pedal, I felt vibrations and heard a lot of clunking under the car again and I turned everything off. I was close to home so I was able to push it home. But now I'm pretty sure I'm gonna need a new transaxle.

Anyone close to me got something I can replace mine with? I live in Bakersfield, CA but will drive a few hours if need be. (LA, San Diego, Vegas, Bay Area)

Unless anyone here thinks it can be fixed and might have the parts to do it. I got a local VW mechanic but I'm sure they will charge me an arm and a leg to crack it open and fix it. I think it might be cheaper to just swap it out with another that works.

I have a '73 1.7 with Webers. All the suspension is stock as far as I know.

UPDATE:

After Carl K's comments, I checked the CV joints and found the passenger side loose and rattling. So I'm now looking for CV joints, not a full transaxle.
carl k
In the morning when it's light, have a look under the car and make sure your drive axles are still intact. If the CV joint broke or came loose, you'll get no forward motion because it's an open diff. It also makes a clunking racket. As me how I know biggrin.gif

-Carl
pastormacman
QUOTE(carl k @ Nov 11 2020, 06:12 PM) *

In the morning when it's light, have a look under the car and make sure your drive axles are still intact. If the CV joint broke or came loose, you'll get no forward motion because it's an open diff. It also makes a clunking racket. As me how I know biggrin.gif

-Carl

Thank you so much for this information. I was finally able to get it pushed into my garage tonight when my sons came home. I got it jacked up and sure enough, the passenger side CV joint is loose to the touch. I can rattle it around about half an inch or so in all directions. The left side is completely solid and no rattle at all.

So I changed the topic WTB CV joints.
Millennium 914
QUOTE(pastormacman @ Nov 11 2020, 10:58 PM) *

-Carl

Thank you so much for this information. I was finally able to get it pushed into my garage tonight when my sons came home. I got it jacked up and sure enough, the passenger side CV joint is loose to the touch. I can rattle it around about half an inch or so in all directions. The left side is completely solid and no rattle at all.

Are you still looking for CV Joints? I have a spare set but I need to check on the condition...
Millennium 914
QUOTE(Millennium 914 @ Nov 14 2020, 07:25 PM) *

QUOTE(pastormacman @ Nov 11 2020, 10:58 PM) *

-Carl

Are you still looking for CV Joints? I have a spare set but I need to check on the condition...

TBH the spares I have are on a set of axles destined for a 944 CV conversion. I’ve never had them on a car and cannot guarantee they are solid. Whilst I would part with them for nothing more than packaging, shipping and handling I highly recommend you pick up a known working set, or new ones available from PMB or factory ones from Pelican.
second wind
I have a working pair....only replaced them because Sunset Porsche was having a fantastic sale on new ones a couple of years ago...PM me and we can make a plan....thank you.
gg
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.