Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I want to move my battery to the front trunk...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
montoya 73 2.0
I want to move my battery to the front trunk, The battery tray/box is rusted and i was told it's better to move it in the trunk due to the rain getting into the engine bay. What's the best way to do it? what kind and how long of a cable do i use? where do I run the cables?
lapuwali
You need to check carefully for rust damage below the battery tray and support, which is very common, before proceeding.

It's also better yet to buy a battery that won't leak acid, like an Optima or Odyssey. Repair the stock tray and support and keep one of these batteries in the stock location, and you won't have any more problems with rain.

Moving the battery to the front makes the battery to starter wire very long, so you need to use a much bigger wire (like 4 gauge welding wire) to keep the voltage drop to a minimum, or the starter won't spin fast enough to start the car. If you don't use a sealed battery, you should also mount the battery in a plastic marine box, which will limit the acid leaking onto the trunk floor.
montoya 73 2.0
the tray and support are rusty. the previous owner (my dad) zip tied the battery handles to a mount (?) I have just purchased a optima battery and wanted to install it this weekend. are the replacement parts for the tray and support still available?
Allan
QUOTE (montoya 73 2.0 @ Jul 15 2005, 11:44 AM)
are the replacement parts for the tray and support still available?

Yes. You can get them from Restoration Design or the usual suppliers, Pelican, GPR, etc... Sometimes you can even find them on ebay.
montoya 73 2.0
how many pieces are there to the whole battery assembly? i have no idea what's supposed to be there.
Allan
2. Tray and support. Maybe the hold down clamp but I think you can get that free from Optima.
jr91472
QUOTE (montoya 73 2.0 @ Jul 15 2005, 10:44 AM)
the tray and support are rusty. the previous owner (my dad) zip tied the battery handles to a mount (?) I have just purchased a optima battery and wanted to install it this weekend. are the replacement parts for the tray and support still available?

I did this many years ago. I still want to move it back to the engine bay once time and funds will allow (hopefully this winter along with an engine pull and proper hell hole attention).

But, to answer your question. I disconnected the pax side flapper box and fed the cable through the heat duct (behind the rocker panel). This renders you pax side heating inoperable (another disadvantage).

Once in the cockpit, I fed the cable into the dash (continuing the path of the heating ducts). Now you are at least within the front trunk compartment, but you still have to get through the "firewall" seperating the gas tank from the front storage area. Best way is to remove the gas tank. Beneath the gas tank there is a very small access hole that will get you into the storage compartment.

You should fully insulate the cable from the gas tank just on principle. I also agree that a marine box is a must or you will just rust the front trunk out as well.

I have never had any problems with getting the car to start in this location. And I still managed to ft the spare along side the battery without any impact to the amount of storage space.

I agree with Lapuwali, if you can keep it in the engine that is best. But if not, that is how I did it.

good luck
airsix
See my blog for pictures of how I relocated mine. Be sure to fix the rusted area correctly too.
-Ben M.
lapuwali
I remember that Otmar has stated that storing these batteries on their side reduces their useful life. I think he mentioned it on this very board, in fact. Granted, Otmar's uses are much more stressful on the batteries than most 914 owners (Otmar has an electric 914 drag car).
montoya 73 2.0
i would like to keep it in it's rightful position so i guess i'll have to replace the tray and support. Thanks guys!!!!!

question? what is the "HELL HOLE"?
Mueller
QUOTE (montoya 73 2.0 @ Jul 15 2005, 01:10 PM)
i would like to keep it in it's rightful position so i guess i'll have to replace the tray and support. Thanks guys!!!!!

question? what is the "HELL HOLE"?

as soon as you remove your battery tray and can stick a screwdriver or worse yet, your hand thru the sheetmetal underneath, you'll be screaming "oh HELL, look at that HOLE" !!!!

pretty common problem..........

On my last car, I removed the stock battery tray and mounted the battery in the very corner which is normally saved for the ECU location....didn't need longer cables and lowered the CG of the car....

dbledsoe
QUOTE (airsix @ Jul 15 2005, 11:09 AM)
See my blog for pictures of how I relocated mine. Be sure to fix the rusted area correctly too.
-Ben M.

Ben,

What is the reason for mounting the battery on the right side of the trunk? I ask because I am considering moving my battery to the front trunk too. I'm doing a Buick V6 conversion and the front trunk will house the radiator and the battery. But since the starter is more to the left (driver side) I thought running the battery cables down the left side might be more convenient, hence mounting the battery on the driver side of the trunk. Any thoughts?

btw, I lived in Kennewick for two years, 79-81, when I worked for WPPSS, before moving to Boise. I had the pleasure of the ash falling out of the sky the afternoon that Mount St. Helens blew (it blew in the morning and the ash took half the day to get to us, but when it did it was quite a sight). sad.gif

Don
montoya 73 2.0
i guess i'll see if i have a "HELL HOLE". wish me luck!!!

Mt. St. Helen's is stirring up again. it's supposed to blow any time now. I have Mt. Hood and Mt. Shasta on either side of me also. there on the top 5 list of volcano's in the US to blow.
airsix
Hi Don. Small world! I put the battery in the corner to keep room for an oil cooler in the future and a spare tire. I chose the right side to offset driver weight. Running the locomotive cable down the right side also made it easy to tie into the harness at the old battery location.

-Ben M.
dbledsoe
QUOTE (airsix @ Jul 15 2005, 01:21 PM)
Hi Don. Small world! I put the battery in the corner to keep room for an oil cooler in the future and a spare tire. I chose the right side to offset driver weight. Running the locomotive cable down the right side also made it easy to tie into the harness at the old battery location.

-Ben M.

Thanks Ben! Makes a lot of sense.

Don
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.