Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My 1971 porsche 914-4
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914nb
Good afternoon all,

I quite recently bought my first 914 from Mark (mepstein) and shipped it over to the uk. Tomorrow I finally take delivery of the car after what feels like forever, problems with hauliers and the shipping company all employing g sub contractors meant everything was far more difficult than it should have been also costing me extra money covering the costs of their mistakes.

Yesterday I received this picture of the car taken straight after the container doors were opened.

Click to view attachment

Hopefully the car is as described and as mechanically sound as it was when parked- iv no doubt mark told me about all the issues he was aware off but we all know that cars have a habit of hiding surprises for us to uncover at some point.

My first concern is to get the car running so I can assess what I have before moving on to address the hell hole rust issues plus any other areas that come to light.

Any advice on getting the car started is most welcome.

Nathan.
76-914
Welcome to the sickness. I'm sure Mark was accurate in his description of the car. He is a stand up guy. Do you have dual residency? I saw UK & TX in your signature. beerchug.gif
914nb
QUOTE(76-914 @ Nov 15 2020, 09:41 AM) *

Welcome to the sickness. I'm sure Mark was accurate in his description of the car. He is a stand up guy. Do you have dual residency? I saw UK & TX in your signature. beerchug.gif

Hi

Its more of a friends and family thing, id originally set up my account to find a car as close to texas as possible so my family could get involved with the collection and some of the restoration work and parts finding but because of marks location and me feeling the car was the right one for me I brought it straight home as it just wasn't financially viable to transport it so far.

Unfortunately I have a few health problems that will make it hard for me to be as hands on as id like so that would have solved a major issue as my uncle owns a engineering and fabrication business in TX but for now I will just have to see how it plays out- yes exactly I have no doubts mark told me about what he knows of but with anything once its stripped down there could be twice as much but thats the joy of car renovation I guess.

Nathan.
Frankvw
Hi Nathan, congrats on the 914 !
I was in your shoes a little while ago, and also for me a lot of stress when shipping it over from USA to Europe, but in the end it worked out.
Hope it will be a nice project and you will be on the road soon !
Please make sure to post pics if there are ay questions, that helps a lot.
Greetings from the Netherlands ! Frank
wysri9
Nathan

Welcome to the world if the 914 - good luck with the project! I am in Scotland at the tail end (that never ending tail....) of my project. I have a bit of experience and still a lot of parts. Feel free to PM if you think I can help smile.gif

Simon
dt4
Likewise, I brought one over last year, also supplied by a member on here.
In my case it was a faultless and easy experience and it landed in the UK about 8 weeks after the purchase, a year later it was MOTed and shortly afterwards it was registered and on the road.

Im in West Yorks, where are you?
I have a few parts left over as Dylan was very generous when he packed the car with parts.

I am waiting on a big shipment of items from 914rubber so may have other useful bits spare in due course
914nb
Hi guys,

Thanks very much- I live in Northamptonshire, simon, we have family up in Lanarkshire but unfortunately haven't been able to get up this year due to all the restrictions.

I was a professional restorer until my illnesses took hold and I just couldn't manage any longer. I have imported and been involved in importation many, many times but this time they just did what they liked- the car has even ended up in the completely wrong place here but at least come lunchtime Tomorrow it should be over.

I will have to start making a list once I get the chance to look over the car, Mark previously replaced many parts when re recommissioned the car so im hoping I will be lucky mechanically-

Nathan
914nb
Well its here,

Some negatives unfortunately but hopefully I can sort it all.

The car has been hit in the rear at some point in its life, the rear panel is still pushed in and has just been filled on the outside and seam sealed on the inside. The boot/trunk lid has alot of filler where its been pushed in and up and has been hammered down to fit. There's some small holes along the back edge of the boot/trunk floor and also 3 small areas in the front under the spare wheel! That's only from a quick look around so im hoping I don't find more when I get time to have a better look.

914nb
Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Welcome and congratulations.

I would suggest you sketch out your plans for the car and be an active member here - the advice and support provided by the community here is just fantastic.

There is something to be said for getting her running and just enjoying the car for a while prior to stripping it down. Living with it often will better inform your build plans....

914nb
Unfortunately due yo our rules here I would need to restore the car before I could use it, failing to do so would get it crushed if I were to get stopped and searched.

Next will be to remove the mice nests from the car and see if I can get it to run.

Nathan
mepstein
I’m glad Nathan purchased my car. It needed work and was just deteriorating more in storage. I will be happy to see it back on the road. beerchug.gif
Tdskip
QUOTE(914nb @ Nov 16 2020, 11:25 AM) *

Unfortunately due yo our rules here I would need to restore the car before I could use it, failing to do so would get it crushed if I were to get stopped and searched.

Next will be to remove the mice nests from the car and see if I can get it to run.

Nathan

Then maybe do the minimum for your MOT.
Frankvw
"Then maybe do the minimum for your MOT."...
welll.....that sounds like my original plan ! smile.gif
And one things leads to another, car will be on jackstands for a while and you will learn a lot ! I went through almost all for my 'MOT', at first I hated it...wanted to drive.
But it was a nice project and people on 914world could give the help I needed.
You will also walk this route I believe if I see the first pics of your car !
914nb
It was always bought to be a keeper car, I cant thank Mark enough for all his help, I now own a porsche and thats been a dream of mine for so long.

I will do what it needs, it seams like the wrong thing to do to just patch it up and drive it when during that time other parts could be getting worse.

Once iv made my judgment on its mechanical state I will need to scrape the tar sound deadening from the inside of the floors and I guess start the strip down
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.