Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Did I buy the right Alfa brake calipers?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Found these on the Alfa forum I frequent and ready-fire-aim'd them.

One caliper is stamped "Brembo". The other is not.

They dimensions identical between them and both 3 inch bolt spacing (they look difference sizes in the picture since one strut was closer to camera). Pistons look identical too.

They are from a late Alfa GTV so should be OK, but I was expecting that both would have "Brembo" on the casting. Anyone come across these that didn't have the Brembo stamping on both left & right?

Thanks and hope everyone is having a good weekend so far.

Click to view attachment

mepstein
They look correct to me. Not all of them seem to have the stamping.
Tdskip
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 15 2020, 10:30 AM) *

They look correct to me. Not all of them seem to have the stamping.

Phew! Apparently there there may be a difference on early vs late versions of these calipers too, will dig in and report back.

Thanks for the fast and helpful response.
GregAmy
Are these the same as the BMW calipers that many use on the 4-bolt cars?
Tdskip
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Nov 15 2020, 11:25 AM) *

Are these the same as the BMW calipers that many use on the 4-bolt cars?

Good morning. I believe so off a very specific 320i but that needs to be double checked.

Excellent thread here;

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=104276
ConeDodger
Not the same as the 320i. That caliper has to be modified to work. The Alfa GTV brakes are aluminum and bolt right up.

Mine both say Brembo and Eric shined them up and anodized them for me!
Tdskip
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 15 2020, 12:18 PM) *

Not the same as the 320i. That caliper has to be modified to work. The Alfa GTV brakes are aluminum and bolt right up.

Mine both say Brembo and Eric shined them up and anodized them for me!

Thanks for putting me straight on that.
GregAmy
Thanks for the info.

What was the specific make/model/year of Alfa for these? I have a set of the BMW calipers on my street car and was planning to swap those on the race car, but if these are better I'll go on a hunt for a pair (sticking with 4-bolt struts).

That other thread had distinguishing names for them ("S", "L", "M") but no specific original applications.
Tdskip
Late model Milano and GTV6 came with them, occasionally come up but increasing hard to find due to people like us.

I do not know what the year cut over for these is, will ask the Alfa shop on Monday.
GregAmy
Thanks.

And what's the correct rotor? I bet there's enough space in there for a vented rotor.
bdstone914
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Nov 15 2020, 02:31 PM) *

Thanks for the info.

What was the specific make/model/year of Alfa for these? I have a set of the BMW calipers on my street car and was planning to swap those on the race car, but if these are better I'll go on a hunt for a pair (sticking with 4-bolt struts).

That other thread had distinguishing names for them ("S", "L", "M") but no specific original applications.

85-86 Alfa GTV
bdstone914
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Nov 15 2020, 03:40 PM) *

Thanks.

And what's the correct rotor? I bet there's enough space in there for a vented rotor.

You can run them in a solid rotor if you remove the spacer. With the spacer they need a vented rotor.
Tdskip
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Nov 15 2020, 09:05 PM) *

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Nov 15 2020, 03:40 PM) *

Thanks.

You can run them in a solid rotor if you remove the spacer. With the spacer they need a vented rotor.

Hi Bruce!

What is this spacer thing you speak of?

:-)

GregAmy
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Nov 15 2020, 10:12 PM) *
What is this spacer thing you speak of?

Ditto. What spacer?

For the race car I'm likely to spec out a Coleman hat and vented rotor ring that fits in there nicely...unless someone knows of a thicker bolt-in vented rotor with the same stud spacing and hubcentric.

If I go that way then the BMW calipers are perfectly fine for the street car. I ran it that way at a Track Night in America and never had any brake issues (no clue what the compound is).
jcd914
The "brembo" marking can be on the outside or the inside.

There are 24mm between the caliper halves, so probably a 20mm rotor is about the thickness limit. The spacer between caliper halves is about 9mm.

Markings on the back:
Click to view attachment

Spacer:
Click to view attachment

Comparison:
Click to view attachment

Jim
AZBanks
The 320i calipers work on an early car but need a little machining to work on a late car.
Mark Henry

Thanks

[/quote]

I'm using the 914/6 rotor , bolts right in.

I just picked up a set of 911T struts and hubs for a future project. I already have a set of alfa cores in my collection.
GregAmy
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Nov 16 2020, 12:54 AM) *

The spacer between caliper halves is about 9mm....

Ah! Thanks.

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 16 2020, 07:32 AM) *

I'm using the 914/6 rotor , bolts right in.

That's fine and good if you're gettin' all fancy-schmancy with 5-bolt 911 suspension. wink.gif But I'd like to retain my 4-bolt.

Honestly, if I went 5-bolt there are a lot better braking options...

I'll do some research to see if I can find an appropriate 4x130 rotor with the right offset and hubcentric (I make myself lol sometimes). More likely than not I'll work up a Coleman 2-pc hat and rotor design (unless someone has done it?)

Greg
mepstein
The big advantage for these Alfa calipers is you can unbolt your M calipers and bolt these on. No mods required.
Half the weight of M calipers
Larger pad size that almost equals S calipers
Uses a 914-6 or 911T rotor that’s available at flaps for $60 ish.

Disadvantages-
Higher cost to purchase
Higher cost to restore
Usually needs new pistons - PMB stocks them.

Tdskip
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 16 2020, 08:53 AM) *

The big advantage for these Alfa calipers is you can unbolt your M calipers and bolt these on. No mods required.

Disadvantages-
Higher cost to purchase
Higher cost to restore

And those are vented rotors I believe, right?

(Good morning btw)
mepstein
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Nov 16 2020, 09:46 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 16 2020, 08:53 AM) *

Disadvantages-
Higher cost to purchase
Higher cost to restore

And those are vented rotors I believe, right?

(Good morning btw)

Good morning
Yes, vented.
These are for the guys using 911T/914-6 struts.
Eric explains it on his PMB site.
Tdskip
Thanks Mark!
double-a
i am running those exact alfa brembos on my 914-6 front struts
Tdskip
QUOTE(double-a @ Nov 16 2020, 05:54 PM) *

Like them? Good pedal feel?
double-a
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Nov 16 2020, 03:12 PM) *

QUOTE(double-a @ Nov 16 2020, 05:54 PM) *

Like them? Good pedal feel?

i do, i think they feel great. got them from PMB when i did my 5-lug conversion. i have them paired with stock rears and a 19mm mc. speaking of which i need to send my rears to PMB this winter, they're past due for a rebuild.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.