Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got one!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zprovo
Click to view attachment

It's my first 914. It's a '71.
From my limited research...(internet stalking a previous owner)
It may have a 2056 engine with a 73 cam, D-Jet FI and a Kerry Hunter Header with a supertrapp muffler.
It doesn't run, I don't know when it last ran...
As I understand it a 2056 engine with a 73 cam doesn't play very well with the stock D-jet...
That said, I KNOW NOTHING about these cars. I'm just happy to have it in the garage and to discover that it is wearing real mini-lites.

Looking forward to picking everyone's brain!
zprovo
Also, I'm in Nashville if anyone is in the neighborhood.
aharder
welcome.png
Your at the right place if you know nothing about these cars !!
Tdskip
Welcome!

When did it last run?

After fresh oil and fuel and charged battery time to crank it over once you have confirmed it spins freely.

I’d not worry about the specifics of the internals until it is running and driving and you then have issues. You may not.
Mueller
Welcome, nice looking car for sure. I have no experience with that motor/cam/FI combo, hopefully someone can give you pointers on it so you can be driving it soon.
Cairo94507
welcome.png Welcome to our madness. That looks like a nice car to start with. So many questions - does the engine spin freely? Do the brakes work? What does the gasoline in the tank smell like? beerchug.gif

PanelBilly
Looks nice from the photo What's your goal for the car?
zprovo
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Nov 15 2020, 04:46 PM) *

I just want a fun little car that's not too precious...that I can drive the snot out of.
I had a bmw 2002tii that was a perfect combination of slow and nimble...that's what I'm looking for in this car.
zprovo
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Nov 15 2020, 04:22 PM) *

Welcome!

When did it last run?

After fresh oil and fuel and charged battery time to crank it over once you have confirmed it spins freely.

I’d not worry about the specifics of the internals until it is running and driving and you then have issues. You may not.

That sounds like a good plan! Gotta remind myself to keep it simple.
No idea when it last ran. Probably a while.
914sgofast2
I believe that a Webcam 73 is the best cam you can use with the stck Djet FI system.
BeatNavy
welcome.png
QUOTE(914sgofast2 @ Nov 15 2020, 07:51 PM) *

I believe that a Webcam 73 is the best cam you can use with the stck Djet FI system.

Yeah, I thought a 73 would work with D-Jet.

Let us know when you're ready to try to get it started. We have a few people here who know a thing or two about D-Jet smile.gif If it's been sitting a while, you'll have to do some fuel system work....
brcacti
welcome.png
bzettner
Congrats and welcome! I have a very good friend in Nashville that texted me a pic this weekend, small world! aktion035.gif Click to view attachment
mbseto
Mine's a silver '71 also, congrats and welcome!
jtprettyman
Welcome, there are a couple of us Middle TN folks around here. Murfreesboro here, and @malcolm2 in Mt. Juliet.
zprovo
QUOTE(bzettner @ Nov 15 2020, 06:43 PM) *

Congrats and welcome! I have a very good friend in Nashville that texted me a pic this weekend, small world! aktion035.gif Click to view attachment

That is awesome! Hopefully I wasn't doing anything embarassing. It was a long drive.
Mikey914
Welcome.
Enjoy the car. Sounds pretty solidly sorted out. You can always go off the deep end on these cars. So just make sure to start it up and if you can drive it at least once a month. Just like aircraft these cars do better when used.
malcolm2
Cool. I saw your pic. Mine used to be silver. One PO somewhere down the road went red. Oh well. I do like silver tho. We need to get together sometime. I will PM you my cell.

Clark
MM1
welcome.png Great color - enjoy your journey!
iankarr
welcome.png
And welcome to the addiction. The learning never stops with these cars, and it seems you have the perfect outlook and attitude for this corner of the internet.

I made a few videos for people new to these cars which you may find helpful...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iJmizIoobo...channel=IanKarr

Looking forward to your updates!

914andy
I am in Nashville as well... on the west side...I think I recognize that rock wall
as we say around here Holler if you need sumpin !
Andy York
euro911
Nice acquisition. Looks like a nice car, especially with the minilites.

welcome.png
Gint
QUOTE(zprovo @ Nov 15 2020, 04:02 PM) *
I just want a fun little car that's not too precious...that I can drive the snot out of.
I had a bmw 2002tii that was a perfect combination of slow and nimble...that's what I'm looking for in this car.
welcome.png
Congrats! You will not be disappointed. You have exactly the right parts there to make that happen.
zprovo
IT'S ALIVE!!!

I heard the engine run for the first time Tuesday night. I wasn't really expecting to get that far, so the garage door was closed...lots and lots of fumes.
Then yesterday afternoon I took it for a half mile drive! The car sounds GREAT. It drives like a go-kart and the transmission is challenging, but I love it!
I really need to check through the suspension and brakes before I drive it again, the excitement may have clouded my better judgement.
It's a rad little car.
ndfrigi
Congratulations @zprovo
MM1
Congrats-hope to see (and hear) it run on video soon!
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(zprovo @ Nov 15 2020, 02:16 PM) *

Click to view attachment

It's my first 914. It's a '71.
From my limited research...(internet stalking a previous owner)
It may have a 2056 engine with a 73 cam, D-Jet FI and a Kerry Hunter Header with a supertrapp muffler.
It doesn't run, I don't know when it last ran...
As I understand it a 2056 engine with a 73 cam doesn't play very well with the stock D-jet...
That said, I KNOW NOTHING about these cars. I'm just happy to have it in the garage and to discover that it is wearing real mini-lites.

Looking forward to picking everyone's brain!

Great color, great wheels.

Those Minilites are highly sought after, and one of the best looking wheels for a four-lug car. I'd have them refinished when you do tires, and never look back. Silver 914 on silver wheels at the right ride height (read: low) can be a real stunner.

Sounds like your engine may be a candidate for a refresh/re-seal and a pair of Dellorto carbs with that cam and the header/Supertrap. Should be pretty quick.

Congrats, and…

welcome.png
wonkipop
QUOTE(zprovo @ Nov 15 2020, 05:02 PM) *

2002 = great car. one of those sum is > than the parts cars. preferred get away vehicle for the beider meinhoff terrorists. had the pleasure of some time behind wheel of one in early 90s. goes around corners it shouldn't? 914 won't disappoint for same reasons. enjoy.
Root_Werks
welcome.png

Looks like a nice 914!
Cairo94507
You are miles ahead of most since your car now runs and you have driven it. Now you may want to go through all of the basic maintenance to make sure it is safe to drive. beerchug.gif
Spoke
QUOTE(zprovo @ Feb 25 2021, 03:19 PM) *

IT'S ALIVE!!!

I heard the engine run for the first time Tuesday night. I wasn't really expecting to get that far, so the garage door was closed...lots and lots of fumes.
Then yesterday afternoon I took it for a half mile drive! The car sounds GREAT. It drives like a go-kart and the transmission is challenging, but I love it!
I really need to check through the suspension and brakes before I drive it again, the excitement may have clouded my better judgement.
It's a rad little car.

welcome.png

Good to hear you've gotten the engine to run. I assume you've changed the oil/filter. What did you do to get it running?
euro911
If it's been sitting idle for a long time (?), check the brake pads and rubber hoses to the calipers. Replace as needed, then bleed the old fluid and air from the lines.

The original fuel hoses running from the fuel tank to the engine bay through the center tunnel are hard plastic, then transition to rubber on each end. If the previous owner installed stainless steel fuel lines, you'll just need to pay attention to the rubber ones under the fuel tank, also, under the passenger-side engine shelf where the [original] fuel pump is located, and the ones up to the F.I system.

The shifter mechanism has plastic bushings that may need to be replaced; there's a cup and a ring below the shift lever in the cockpit, a ring at the firewall and a cup where the coupling for the front and rear shift rods connect inside the oval housing, and a ring in a bracket at the rear of the transaxle (might be inside a plastic box if it's a tail shifter trans). The plastic boxes go missing over the years on a lot of early cars.

If it has a side shifter mechanism; a ring at the firewall rod coupling, a ring in the shift console, and a cup in the end coupling where it attaches to the shift lever going into the transaxle.

Get a good service manual if you don't already have one ... they're worth their weight in gold.
pete000
Welcome to the fun ! We like pictures !
Front yard mechanic
More pictures silver is awesome piratenanner.gif
jhynesrockmtn
Congrats on the purchase. Looks like a great car. Still a tailshifter?

I bought a very original 1970 last summer and have completed a bunch of projects to make it a safe runner. It ran when I bought it but fuel was leaking at the injectors and the tank was fouled, brakes were crap and it wouldn't shift.

I replaced calipers and soft lines, new MC. PMB is the go to source for this stuff. My rear lines were completely plugged but looked ok from the outside. Just replace them. I also disassembled the rear pressure regulator and cleaned that up. PMB has them rebuilt on their site.

I then went through the fuel system. Had the tank redone, new fuel pump relocated to the front, new SS fuel lines to replace the plastic from Tangerine racing, new rubber fuel hose everywhere and new vacuum lines.

The trans shifter bushings were all plastic dust from stem to stern. Replacing all of those has transformed the shifting. It still isn't great but once you learn it, it works.

My heater cables were broken on one side. Replaced that. I now have heat.

New tires on 4 lug Fuchs I had polished locally. The tires on the car were brand new looking but 25 years old :-)

The 914 is rewarding to work on, the vendor support is great. Also used 914rubber.com and Auto Atlanta. This site has a wealth of technical information.

Enjoy the car and welcome to the madness!

Click to view attachment
QUOTE(zprovo @ Nov 15 2020, 02:16 PM) *

I'm jealous of your fuel injection. While my carbs are running fine, I've never managed to get a 914 with fuel injection.

Grass is always greener....
burton73
Congratulations, you are going to love your car. You will get it dialed in just so. The 914world is the place to be for 914 cars.

Welcome to the world

Bob B
welcome.png
Shredhead
QUOTE(zprovo @ Feb 25 2021, 03:19 PM) *

IT'S ALIVE!!!

It's a rad little car.

Congrats! Amongst other things on your list, change the transmission oil.
BENBRO02
welcome.png The best part of ownership is going to events around the country. When you get your car running, have fun with us at Okteenerfest, The Northeast Gathering, The Hershey Swap Meet, Werks Reunion. I’m looking forward to meeting you and seeing your car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.