Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear targa top latch removal and replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dw914six
Anyone have information (or info on any previous post on the subject) on how to remove the rear latch for the targa top roof?

It seems logical to remove the targa trim and I could see the part easier, but the trim does not want to come off after loosening all of the screws.

It also looks like like a bolt is accessible from underneath if I could possibly get a small wrench on it.

Hoping for something simple I am missing. Any help is much appreciated.
raynekat
From what I remember.....it's near impossible to get the rear latches out without 1st removing the large targa trim.
If the trim won't come off, perhaps you've missed a screw or two....there are lots of them on the side and underneath. wink.gif

Same for the installation process. Latches 1st then the targa trim.
It's a conundrum for sure.
Best of luck.
dw914six
QUOTE(raynekat @ Nov 16 2020, 08:08 PM) *

From what I remember.....it's near impossible to get the rear latches out without 1st removing the large targa trim.
If the trim won't come off, perhaps you've missed a screw or two....there are lots of them on the side and underneath. wink.gif

Best of luck.

That is the path I saw as well. I will look for additional screws I may have missed.

Thanks for the reply and help.
bdstone914
QUOTE(dw914six @ Nov 17 2020, 07:14 AM) *

Best of luck.

That is the path I saw as well. I will look for additional screws I may have missed.

You need to also remove the bolsters on the B pillars too. Use a flash light to check all the holes for screws . Once all the screws are out you need to position the hooks for the targa latches vertically. Reinstallation is even more fun.
dw914six
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Nov 17 2020, 06:47 AM) *

QUOTE(dw914six @ Nov 17 2020, 07:14 AM) *

Best of luck.

You need to also remove the bolsters on the B pillars too. Use a flash light to check all the holes for screws . Once all the screws are out you need to position the hooks for the targa latches vertically. Reinstallation is even more fun.

Sounds like an opportunity for frustration. You would think this should be a 1 beer job. I probably will need more.
rgolia
I was afraid to ask how this is done. I picked up some restored latches from Bruce Stone and planned to do this over the winter. I think I am going to put that plan on hold, I removed the targa trim in the past and replaced mine because it was cracked. It was not fun and something I thought I would never have to do again. The taking off part is one thing, but the putting it back on.......You are going to need a case of beer to get it back together. beer3.gif
dw914six
QUOTE(rgolia @ Nov 17 2020, 01:30 PM) *

I was afraid to ask how this is done. I picked up some restored latches from Bruce Stone and planned to do this over the winter. I think I am going to put that plan on hold, I removed the targa trim in the past and replaced mine because it was cracked. It was not fun and something I thought I would never have to do again. The taking off part is one thing, but the putting it back on.......You are going to need a case of beer to get it back together. beer3.gif

Sounds like I should do both sides while I have the trim off.
orthobiz
I bought screwdrivers that hold the screw in place. I finally gave up and let Brad and Michael at 914LTD do it! Unfortunately I've done a number of "repairs" in the same fashion...

P
raynekat
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Nov 17 2020, 06:47 AM) *

This is absolutely true....forgot about these guys with my response.
Yeah, a lot has to happen to change out those rear targa latches.

Also....a standard awl is very helpful when reinstalling as it helps you line up each hole as you go before trying to insert and tighten each screw.
hwo
Perhaps this image might hep to find all the srews to be removed on both sides
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.