Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I Waited to Post This
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
Never let it be said Cops ain't people too. I should back up a bit to drive home my point. A short while back I hit the Ortega Hiway to get rid of a case of Cabin Fever. It was a week day with little traffic but what traffic there was, was going slowly. I also noticed a lack of passing lanes so I settled in for leisurely scenic drive. When I arrived In San Juan Capistrano I ordered to go at Carl's Jr, removed the top and sat under an oak tree while eating lunch. The return trip was no faster. In fact it was slower with a white van in front of me. Since I couldn't see what was in front of him I kept a safe distance behind. About 5 miles into the return route I saw a group of MC's approaching from behind. I didn't want to kill their joy so I hugged the right side allowing them ample room to safely pass me. Another 5-6 miles down the road they all peeled off, except 2, into the Nat'l Forest entrance. I afforded them the same courtesy yet they didn't pass either. They could see what traffic lay ahead and with the noticeable lack of passing zones (I saw only one the entire way) they remained behind. I continued to hug the right side just incase they decided to make a run for it. When we approached Carriso Village I dropped down to the posted 45mph speed limit thinking they would surely pass me now but they didn't. The Van in front of me began to slow about 30 seconds later and now we were really lagging behind. The Van finally turned off the Hiway about a block west of the Devils Kitchen and I could finally see a gap in traffic but I was approaching the Forest Rangers office which usually has a visiting cop. So I kept it at 45mph. After passing the Rangers Station I saw it was clear for a short distanceand decided to see if these 2 MC's still wanted to hang out on my rear bumper as they had for the past 30 minutes. I was still in the 45mph zone but it was clear sailing ahead so I punched. I hit 80 before letting off as I'd caught up the caravan of cars again. I looked in my rear view and saw the 2 MC's had punched it hard trying to catch up with me. They must have been day dreaming when I hit it and were now catching up. happy11.gif The remaining cars in front of me had begun to push it a bit so we all traveled down the mountain in tow. Nothing dangerous but certainly spirited. At the base I turned right on Lake Elsinor Dr? and maintained the posted 45mph speed limit hugging the right side as before thinking surely the 2 MC's would pass me now but they continued on as before; hugging my rear bumper. It was difficult to determine how close they were as I'd recently had my windows tinted and had the rear "very" tinted to block out those SUV's and Truck's headlights at a stop. Another few miles down the road I entered the left turn lane which takes you by the airport with the Parachute Jump School. The 2 MC's continued straight ahead and it was then that I noticed those 2 MC's were Riverside County Sheriff's. They waved as they continued on and probably did not notice I had just shit myself. WTF.gif Any other day and I'd have gotten my ass written up by one, no two, angry cops. What good sports they were. Or were they? Maybe they didn't want to mess with the paperwork or perhaps off duty. I'll never know but I wonder what went through their minds when I punched it hard right in front of them. Who knows? Maybe they liked 914's or had thoughts of how well I had driven before my 8 second lapse of sanity when I punched it. I'll never know but one thing is for sure. The Riverside County Sheriff's dep't is getting a donation from me for their Christmas Charity Drive this year. They could have easily docked my checkbook mightily but did not. Never let it be said that Cops don't have a sense of humor or fair play. Oh, why did I wait to post this. Had I posted it on the day it happened some prick or bored desk sergeant could have guessed who they were and I wasn't going to let that happen after my Big Break. driving.gif
Mikey914
Consider yourself lucky, the sun moon and stars aligned and for whatever reason you were given a pass. beer3.gif beer3.gif
Freezin 914
Happy to read this, a great little story. We need some happy stories in the world right now. Thank you for posting. beerchug.gif
Ansbacher
This looks like an important post, but I just cannot read it in non-paragraph form. Can it be reformatted, please? Not being a wise guy, just visually impaired.

Ansbacher
Cairo94507
Yes, indeed police are human and they realize when a driver is normally a good driver who obeys the laws and is considerate of other drivers. I suspect these two "motors" were behind you long enough to realize you were a safe, courteous driver and chose to ignore your 10 seconds of fun. beerchug.gif
914werke
QUOTE(76-914 @ Nov 16 2020, 04:27 PM) *
I looked in my rear view and saw the 2 MC's had punched it hard trying to catch up with me. They must have been day dreaming when I hit it and were now catching up. happy11.gif

Perhaps, A roll on rolleyes.gif , but if they were astride the new BMW's & punched HARD theyd have no trouble with a 914 laugh.gif
Big Len
Good story, love a happy ending.
MM1
Good read - Lady Luck was definitely your passenger that day . . .
Coondog
Probably coming back from training in Orange County. Last thing they wanted to do was interrupt the great ride they were having.
914Toy
You have a gift in writing interesting stuff which is easy to read - you earned the happy outcome beerchug.gif
Nacho
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 16 2020, 07:34 PM) *

Consider yourself lucky, the sun moon and stars aligned and for whatever reason you were given a pass. beer3.gif beer3.gif

It's funny you say that because we are currently in "King Tide" lol-2.gif

Nacho
euro911
call me.gif I just called the Riverside Sheriff's office and asked about the matter. They said they want to know who your are, Kent poke.gif

laugh.gif
rhodyguy
As you were driving in a civilized manner and made the move in a safe fashion they prob decided to cut you some slack.
orthobiz
Sounds like an episode of The Californians on SNL

P
ConeDodger
I once got two breaks in one day. Before I retired, I worked at Stanford and lived where I live now near Tahoe. I had agreed to bring a part to a guy in Sacramento for a guy who lived in Reno. We put it in my truck and left it there for the week I was at work. On Friday, I drove from Stanford to Rocklin where the guy lived, dropped off the part and headed for home. By now though, it was 11pm. As I reentered the freeway, there was a car right on my bumper so I kicked it down and put some space between us. Then, the unmarked car that had been riding my ass lit me up. He asked for the usual paperwork and then told me he was following me because he saw me driving slowly through a neighborhood in Rocklin and then put something in the back of my truck. He asked if I was stealing parts? I explained that there was nothing in the back of my truck because what I had done was to drop off a part to a guy who's house I didn't know as a favor to a guy who I did know in Reno. "well, a good deed shouldn't be punished so I'm going to let you go with a warning." "don't get so frisky on the on ramps." "I see your SCCA sticker on the topper!" We laughed and I headed for home.
Once home, within a mile of the house, I punched it going up a hill (mountain) and when I went to pull in to the gate at our community a SUV lit me up, unmarked again. He again checked the paperwork and asked me where I was coming from. I told him Stanford and he said, "that explains the name tag and scrubs." He said it would be a shame for me to get in an accident after driving 4 hours to get home so I should be more careful. He then hit some button in the squad to open my gate. I thought show off!
914_teener
QUOTE(euro911 @ Nov 17 2020, 12:42 AM) *

call me.gif I just called the Riverside Sheriff's office and asked about the matter. They said they want to know who your are, Kent poke.gif

laugh.gif

They were wondering who would put a Japaneese motor in that old German car? stirthepot.gif

What I want to know is who was drivng an Arctic Silver Cayman R past me on the 71 on that long stretch of highway between Congress Arizona and Aguila AZ?

This last Sunday afternoon....leading a pack of motorcycles.

Hijack over.....carry on.
914-300Hemi
Glad to hear that you didn’t get a ticket and it must have been tense to have the cops follow you all that distance.
mbseto
Just out of curiosity, if you send them a donation will you send a note telling them why?
cali914
Kent the sound of the suby engine saved you. LOL I used to have a s2000 with an ls1 and never got pulled over. I w not to a car show one day and talked to a lot of owners that had s2ks and they all had been pulled over. They told me the reason I had not been pulled over was I was a old black guy driving this car hahahahahaha. True story.
76-914
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Nov 16 2020, 04:40 PM) *

This looks like an important post, but I just cannot read it in non-paragraph form. Can it be reformatted, please? Not being a wise guy, just visually impaired.

Ansbacher

I edited it and then pressed complete edit and it went back to it's original form. Sorry. WTF.gif
76-914
QUOTE(914-300Hemi @ Nov 17 2020, 06:18 PM) *

Glad to hear that you didn’t get a ticket and it must have been tense to have the cops follow you all that distance.

Ravi, I didn't know they were cops until I turned off. I could see their running lights. One of them had 2 side by side lamps and the other a single lamp. That's primarily the reason I thought they were regular MC riders. Plus, I sit very low and they sat high. As they were on my bumper the entire leg the only thing I could make out were their fairings. And that view that was through 'very" tinted rear glass. wacko.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(76-914 @ Nov 18 2020, 10:07 AM) *

Ansbacher

I edited it and then pressed complete edit and it went back to it's original form. Sorry. WTF.gif

@76-914

You added spaces (and a lot of them) instead of line breaks. But spaces (more than one in a row) are ignored by all browsers, they don't work for formatting.
shades.gif
76-914
QUOTE(mbseto @ Nov 17 2020, 08:29 PM) *

Just out of curiosity, if you send them a donation will you send a note telling them why?

Funny you should mention that. Yes, I'm sending along a copy of this post with the donation. Hope they understand & get a good laugh out of it. beerchug.gif
76-914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 18 2020, 10:16 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Nov 18 2020, 10:07 AM) *

Ansbacher

@76-914

You added spaces (and a lot of them) instead of line breaks. But spaces (more than one in a row) are ignored by all browsers, they don't work for formatting.
shades.gif

You're exactly right. Thx for that tip. beerchug.gif
Rider914
I drive my old Fireblade 900rr in a way that allows me to meet LEO's frequently. 95% are good people just trying to keep their communities safe. When I run into one of the 5% it's just part of the cost of having fun.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.