Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LED strip in the engine bay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
photography does not do it justice. But pic 1 shows LOTS O LIGHT in the bay.

Click to view attachment

Pic two is the LED strip. I ran it from the battery to the engine latch. Perfect place. Everything past the latch is blocked by the air filter of the L-jet anyway.

Click to view attachment

This view is from the rear trunk.

Click to view attachment

I wanted to have a switch to turn it on, but for now I just tapped into the OEM bay light. Only thing is, with the headlights on, this light is on. No biggie really tho.
Mike Bellis
Should be great if you break down at night. cheer.gif
PlaysWithCars
If its on when your lights are on, does that mean you end up with a glow from the engine compartment at night? Does it mess with your rear view in the mirror?
Cairo94507
Funny this came up. My trunk light stays on with the headlights on- so yes there is some light in the engine bay. I just do not recall either of the other 2 Sixes having that happen. Is that the way it is supposed to be? beerchug.gif
Coondog
Yes light stays on when your headlights are on
malcolm2
QUOTE(Coondog @ Nov 18 2020, 09:27 AM) *

Yes light stays on when your headlights are on

Yes that little light is on with the light switch pulled. it is designed to give light to the engine and the rear trunk.

As I said I might try to add some kind of switch... It would be great to have a door opening type plunger switch.

But for now it will glow going down the road.... Might be kinda cool.... Back to the future type look.
piratenanner.gif
malcolm2
QUOTE(PlaysWithCars @ Nov 18 2020, 12:18 AM) *

If its on when your lights are on, does that mean you end up with a glow from the engine compartment at night? Does it mess with your rear view in the mirror?

Have not driven at night yet. Maybe I will give it a run tonight. I have a big street light across from my driveway, so I don't really get a true picture with all the extra light.
Cairo94507
OK- thanks guys. Light is on with headlights and that is how it will remain. beerchug.gif
TargaToy
I love the idea of illumination in the engine bay. That was a great idea. I get geeky about stuff like that and I'm sure I would do some sort of a plunger switch or at the very least something manual so I could turn it off when not in use. ...like you said.
malcolm2
No reflection in the car. Very little GLOW outside the car. Unless you get just the right angle to see inside.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
malcolm2
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Nov 18 2020, 10:07 AM) *

OK- thanks guys. Light is on with headlights and that is how it will remain. beerchug.gif

Here is another one you might not know. Key out, lights off. Move the turn signal lever up or down and leave it..... check the side lights and tail lights.... THEY COME ON.

Turns out that is a design feature. Let's see who knows why.
Cairo94507
Yeah been aware of that for about 45 years. Euro parking light for the narrow streets so the side of the car does not get dragged by other cars at night. beerchug.gif
TargaToy
Pretty sure Porsche put that feature in there so you could impress chicks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.