Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Control Arm mount
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rwalsdorf
question, I am looking at a roller to restore, the rot isn't terrible, but the suspension mount under the hell hole has a fare amount, and in the picture it seems it may be cracked? Is this repairable by welding in a new mount, or will it require a frame section. I know you need to see it, just an "in general" question. I've restored cars before, this is my first shot at a 914
Cairo94507
welcome.png Welcome to the World. This is a pretty common fail point on our cars. The repair parts are available new from a couple venders, Restoration Design to name one. Also you can usually find used parts removed from cars that are being or were cut up and scrapped. I would replace that point rather than trying to repair it. beerchug.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Nov 17 2020, 01:44 PM) *

welcome.png Welcome to the World. This is a pretty common fail point on our cars. The repair parts are available new from a couple venders, Restoration Design to name one. Also you can usually find used parts removed from cars that are being or were cut up and scrapped. I would replace that point rather than trying to repair it. beerchug.gif

agree.gif Just note, the repair isn't easy for a novice or cheap for a pro. But it's a fact of life with a lot of our cars.

That area rusts from the inside out so the damage you see is usually the tip of the iceberg.

welcome.png
Superhawk996
agree.gif

welcome.png

Run!!! Not kidding. See my build thread link in my signature to get a glimpse of how nice a car can look up top but be completly rotten.

Unless you're looking for a project I'd find something nicer.
rwalsdorf
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Nov 17 2020, 04:47 PM) *

agree.gif

welcome.png

Run!!! Not kidding. See my build thread link in my signature to get a glimpse of how nice a car can look up top but be completly rotten.

Yes, I am looking for a project. The Price point is under $2K so there is room. I talking about a total disassemble and rebuild, fixing floor and whatever other rot there may be. I'm just not sure about this area of the frame.
mepstein
QUOTE(rwalsdorf @ Nov 19 2020, 03:05 PM) *

agree.gif

welcome.png

Yes, I am looking for a project. The Price point is under $2K so there is room. I talking about a total disassemble and rebuild, fixing floor and whatever other rot there may be. I'm just not sure about this area of the frame.

It's always cheaper to buy the best Porsche you can afford.
Usually, for that type of repair, you are talking about inner and outer long, inner and outer suspension console, lower firewall, inner fender and engine shelf.
But it will be a project if that is what you are looking for. beerchug.gif
rwalsdorf

agree.gif

welcome.png

Stepped through your thread. Very impressive build, and a bit intimidating. At least it gives me some ideas of where I need to look for rot.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.