Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weapons Grade Bearings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
I was not able to get the video so I took a screenshot of results of bearing testing. Found results to be interesting.
altitude411
Wow. Harbor freight vs Mercedes Benz... blink.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFBhqSscTbI
mepstein
When I ran the bike shop, we sold skateboards. Chinese bearings were $8, German $15 and Swiss $25. This was 30 years ago. There was an obvious difference.
fixer34
I don't disagree there are differences in bearing manufacturers. But there's something fishy here. There is no way a caged ball bearing will spin freely for that long no matter what the quality. The only time I have seen bearings spin like that is when they are worn, perfectly clean, and had compressed air on them.

Think about it; did you try this on your new front or rear wheel bearings? Did they spin at all?
mepstein
when you took the rubber seal out of a Swiss bearing, they spun that long. They also came with a special lube.
altitude411
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Nov 18 2020, 06:30 AM) *

I don't disagree there are differences in bearing manufacturers. But there's something fishy here. There is no way a caged ball bearing will spin freely for that long no matter what the quality. The only time I have seen bearings spin like that is when they are worn, perfectly clean, and had compressed air on them.

Think about it; did you try this on your new front or rear wheel bearings? Did they spin at all?

Wheel bearing aren't high precession bearings. They are greased and have sealing rings in place. High precession bearings are for very high speed industrial machines built to high tolerances. They aren't prone to shock or exposed to the elements. Here are some of ABEC allowed tolerances of bearing ratings. beerchug.gif

ABEC 5: 0.0035 mm (0.000138")
ABEC 7: 0.0025 mm (0.000098")
ABEC 9: 0.0012 mm (0.000047")
rhodyguy
What is the application of those bearings?
sixnotfour
my kid had ceramic ball skateboard bearings,,
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.