Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: S.S. Fuel Line Replacement by Clay ?????
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914forme
I have been reading and gathering the items to replace my plastic lines with SS, my plastics are real bad.

So I read Clay's nice documentation on how to do this. I get me some nice pieces of SS tubing today, come home. Look at my stuff and go DOAH!

Clay calls for 7/16" line for the main pressure loop and return loop. So I am wondering if the number got messed up.

I grab my calipers and start measuring

Fuel log, pump, and pressure regulators = .3271 okay this is about 8-mm makes good sense now.
3/8" line = .3750
7/16" line = .4375

So it looks to me I should have bought a few sticks of 5/16" line which is .3125 or 21/64s (yeah right) which is .2813

Or am I just smoking crack here screwy.gif and this will work?
Or maybe all 3/8" line and make the hose stretch just a little.

headbang.gif

welder.gif and braze new ends onto the lines and build me some new fuel logs

Just wondering Clay is a great guy just thinkin I may be nuts.

Stephen
Demick
Here's what I would use: If your fuel pump is in the front, use 5/16" for deliery and return. If your fuel pump is in the back, use 3/8" for delivery, and your choice of 3/8" or 5/16" for return. The smaller the line, the easier it will be to bend and route the lines. Going to 7/16" you will have much more difficulties bending and routing the lines and you will have problems fitting them through the stock grommets (especially important with the front grommet).

I used 5/16" delivery and return lines for mine (and moved my pump to the front at the same time.

Demick
Demick
And like you pointed out, 5/16" is the easiest to make work with the other components using 7mm fuel hose.

Demick
914forme
Demick

Thanks for the great advice.

Stephen
smooth_eddy
I can see the advantages of using SS fuel lines thru the tunnel. But why not use hose like they did originally? Getting SS lines thru the tunnel with the motor in looks like a bitch. I have original lines and need to change them soon. Hope I am not hijacking your thread. Eddy
Mueller
QUOTE (smooth_eddy @ Jul 15 2005, 04:21 PM)
I can see the advantages of using SS fuel lines thru the tunnel. But why not use hose like they did originally? Getting SS lines thru the tunnel with the motor in looks like a bitch. I have original lines and need to change them soon. Hope I am not hijacking your thread. Eddy

they didn't use hose, they used a hard plastic fuel line which might not be available anymore since I have not seen anyone mention it before.....

John
Where did you get the SS line?

Is this hard brake line? I didn't know that it came in stainless.

I have seen stainless in McMaster Carr, but not at my FLAPS.
Mueller
QUOTE (JOHNMAN @ Jul 15 2005, 04:30 PM)

Summit Racing has a good selection (steel, SS and alum.) in different sizes and decent prices.

Lou W
Mueller   Posted on Jul 15 2005, 04:32 PM
QUOTE (JOHNMAN @ Jul 15 2005, 04:30 PM)

Summit Racing has a good selection (steel, SS and alum.) in different sizes and decent prices.

What's the best choice,
(steel, SS and alum.)
?
John

What's the best choice,

Personally, I would stick with Steel or Stainless. I would not want the aluminum tubing for fuel lines in my car (just me).

As far as the choice between SS and mild Steel, if I could find the Stainless for a good price, I would go with that.

My question was where did he get his stainless tube. I know a BUNCH of places I could order it from. (But then I gotta pay the shipping and wait).
Katmanken
I sent him to a truck hose repair shop. Trucks have lots of fuel line, brake lines, air lines, etc.

The truck hose shops stock all kinds of long lengths of high pressure steel and SS tubing. They also build flexible hose assemblys to your specs.

Look in the Yaller Pages under hose, hydraulics, or trucks.

Ken
Gary#
QUOTE (kwales @ Jul 15 2005, 04:49 PM)
I sent him to a truck hose repair shop. Trucks have lots of fuel line, brake lines, air lines, etc.

The truck hose shops stock all kinds of long lengths of high pressure steel and SS tubing. They also build flexible hose assemblys to your specs.

Look in the Yaller Pages under hose, hydraulics, or trucks.

Ken

Super info!!! biggrin.gif
I for one would not have considered truck applications.
Rock On!!!
Step outa 'da box -
tod914
The OEM plastic line is available, but it was like $250 or so when I priced it a few years back. Plus, you would have to use a heat gun on it to get it to conform around those 2 brass fuel rails. Regarding the 5/16.... the 7mm id high pressure line is a very tight fit and a pia to get off. the 8mm id hp fuel line is much easier to work with. just might want to double clamp it to be safe.
MecGen
Hey

Modern day fuel lines are a perfect upgrade for any antique...installed right, with the right tools...thats the problem, a little pricey $$$
I did a 67 Caddy fuel lines with this stuff, all the right fittings and tools to cut/install tips/clamps. Used all the right fasteners to attach to the frame. clean job, I was against it in the begining, the owner insisted, I was really happy with the end results.
I dont know how it would work with a 914 tho ...
Stainless is a proven repair, I have thought about running lines on the outside of the longs, but suspect it might have "colision" issues.

good luck with it
Later
Joe

914forme
SS line is easy to pickup local you just have to step outside the automotive world and into the industrial hose and fitting world.

Look for a Parker Hose and Fitting place - they will have pretty much any connector you may need. I have found one exception to that M12x1.5 to -6an. They have hoses to do anything you want form low pressure to high, flame resistant, oil, air, water, various braids etc.... And you can get quick disconnects also. If you want to deal local these places are great. Mine has a great counter guy that likes doing my odd ball stuff, he gets a kick out of it. My guess I break up the rhythm of his day. A good change of pace for him, I just take in all the parts I am dealing with or know the pieces thread size.

Stephen
scotty b
http://www.inlinetube.com/

These guys sell lengths of S.S. tubing as well as all the ends. I just bought and installed a set of pre bent S.S. brake lines lines for a CJ-7, they were EXACTLY like the stock lines,even had the spiral coiling aroung the outside. Very good product and better prices than I have found most other places. I'm definitly using them for the teener, and al of my other projects.
Cap'n Krusty
I don't understand the percieved need to replace the lines through the tunnel. I've worked on 914s since 1973, and have never seen the OE lines fail. True, they can fail in the area outside the firewall due to damage from an external source (and that part can be replaced with 7.5 mm or 9 mm hose), but the plastic lines are a classic case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", IMO. The Cap'n
tod914
Actually, my lines inside the tunnel were good after pulling them. From the firewall back they where brittle. Figured better safe than sorry.
ClayPerrine
There are 2 sizes of fuel lines coming off the bottom of a 914 fuel tank. When I did the SS line install, I chose to use the larger of the lines all the way through the system. This was based on the fact that I am using MFI on my /6. I was told that it uses more fuel, so I wanted to make sure there was no restriction there. If you are using the stock D-Jet or L-Jet, you can use the smaller line.

If you use the trick of threading the outside of the lines with a die, you don't need to double clamp them. Even without a clamp I can't pull the rubber hose off.

I got the lines through a local 914 racer. I don't know the place he bought them, sorry.

Cap'n.... The reason I recommend replacing the lines is that I have personally lived thorugh a 914 fire. That fire was in my wife's 914, and it took me 6 years to get the car back on the road. It also almost cost me my marriage.

Steel lines are cheap insurance.
Katmanken
Yeppers,

My lines became stainless after watching a 914 catch fire and burn at a Ft. Lauderdale stoplight. That and snapping one of my fuel lines off at the firewall when I gave a slight tug. Fortunately the tank was drained.

Metal lines just give me peace of mind. I hate the sound of rear tires burning and exploding.

Yer car, do what you want.

Ken
zymurgist
Cheap insurance indeed. I'm not going through all this with Babydoll to watch her burn. ohmy.gif

Seriously, why should I choose stainless over mild steel? If stainless is harder to bend and more brittle when you're done, why not use mild steel? I pulled an OEM mild steel line off my Corvete engine that was 25 years old and it still looked good, except the flares on the upper end seemed a bit worn where it had been tightened and loosened for carb work over the years. No flares needed using Clay's illustrated procedure.
smooth_eddy
Stephen...

Just wondering.........are you going to do the replacement lines with the engine in?

Eddy
tat2dphreak
is this a good deal?!

Summit "kit"

I thought you could do this cheaper than that... confused24.gif

is anodized aluminum good for this?

summit aluminum fuel line
914forme
Nope the engine is out of the car right now, repaired the Exon Valdiez, I now have 5 years worth of chassis cleanup to do on her.

Why Stainless because I can. Yeah it work hardness, so does steel just to a lesser degree. I live in Ohio metal lines don't last that long, you can get the plated stuff but when you bend it you introduce cracks in the plating. And being a boater I will use all the bits of SS I can find. Beisdes the price did not scare me off, they will last longer than the car if preoperly mounted and polished up they will look good agains an Signal Orange background. biggrin.gif
tat2dphreak
so, anodizing is just for bling, so I ordered the regular aluminum fuel line... that should work fine, right?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.