Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Koni red's NLA for 914s?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Can't seem to find new front Koni red inserts. I've heard mention that the 911 Koni reds fit and work fine but would like to get confirmation on that before diving in.

Anyone else come across this recently?

Thanks, hope it's been a decent week so far.
914_7T3
Koni still makes adjustable sport shocks for the 914, only they are yellow. Got mine from Pelican. Hope this helps.
Tdskip
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Nov 18 2020, 09:25 PM) *

Koni still makes adjustable sport shocks for the 914, only they are yellow. Got mine from Pelican. Hope this helps.

Hi there!

I thought yellow were Sport and stiffer than the red ones, no?
914_7T3
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Nov 18 2020, 06:51 PM) *

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Nov 18 2020, 09:25 PM) *

Hi there!

I thought yellow were Sport and stiffer than the red ones, no?

My bad, yes reds are softer but adjustable as well. My car is set up with a set of restored Koni reds in the rear and yellows up front And it drives amazing!

driving.gif
Tdskip
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Nov 18 2020, 11:46 PM) *

My bad, yes reds are softer but adjustable as well. My car is set up with a set of restored Koni reds in the rear and yellows up front And it drives amazing!

driving.gif

What setting do you have the fronts on? Thanks for the feedback.
914_7T3
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Nov 18 2020, 08:51 PM) *

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Nov 18 2020, 11:46 PM) *

driving.gif

What setting do you have the fronts on? Thanks for the feedback.

Firm shades.gif

live free & drive
You can take a pair of Koni yellow top adjustable struts and have PSI revalve them for the red shock profile and take the gas out. At that point they are red struts, but with top adjustability. There is not a ton of difference between the two rebound profiles the red goes softer and does not get quite as firm. Cost $800
Tbrown4x4
I had reds on the rear, and the seals went away. No parts available. Two shops could rebuild them for more $$ than a set of new yellow Konis. I bought the yellows and they are set on 2 clicks from full soft with 140 lb springs. They feel good to me, and seem to have no bad characteristics at my daily driver level.

I still need to do the fronts after a spindle drop.
zulu33
QUOTE(Tbrown4x4 @ Nov 19 2020, 12:39 PM) *

I had reds on the rear, and the seals went away. No parts available. Two shops could rebuild them for more $$ than a set of new yellow Konis. I bought the yellows and they are set on 2 clicks from full soft with 140 lb springs. They feel good to me, and seem to have no bad characteristics at my daily driver level.

I still need to do the fronts after a spindle drop.

Hi,
there are only the yellow ones left in the Koni line. Gas shocks (Y) are adjustable at the top and harder than reds. If you want red, buy used and send them to Koni. I use the yellow ones in front and they are not too hard.
CheersClick to view attachment
sixnotfour
call AA they remade stock ones
Tdskip
Thank you for all of the responses.

So it sounds like the easiest and most cost-effective thing to do is to just buy the yellow ones and set them on a fairly soft setting? I’m asking in context of a daily driver so I wanna make sure that the ride is enjoyable for full day outings.
live free & drive
At the end of the day I think that will be fine - if you compare the two rebound curves it would be like the red adjusters set 20-25% off of the soft setting (using yellows at full soft)

GregAmy
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 19 2020, 10:25 AM) *

call AA they remade stock ones

agree.gif

They just worked out a production run of the stock Boge parts, and the price is VERY attractive.

http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-914-911...1434190300.html

http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-Boge-Sa...1433305102.html

http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-911-912...33341S8500.html

http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-914-Fac...33341S8500.html

If'n I didn't already have Koni Yellows all the way around - I'm a Koni butt-boy and race on them - then I'd be buying that last package.
914Sixer
Koni Classic Reds for 911 are a drop in fit even though they are not listed. Several listed on Ebay and else where.
Tdskip
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Nov 19 2020, 10:51 AM) *

Koni Classic Reds for 911 are a drop in fit even though they are not listed. Several listed on Ebay and else where.

Valving etc good fit for a daily 914 Mark?

Thanks for the confirmation.
914Sixer
Yes, valving is good for 914 since you can adjust the shock.
Tdskip
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Nov 19 2020, 12:23 PM) *

Yes, valving is good for 914 since you can adjust the shock.

Excellent - thank you, super helpful.

OOPS - should have clarified that I see this listed for 1965-1974 cars but different part numbers. Correct that long hood car years likely the best match from a weight POV?
Tdskip
Good morning - just to run this to ground looks like these, which are cross referenced to a 1971 911T should work?

Click to view attachment

Anyone running the new Boge shocks from AA?

Thanks!
live free & drive
if you want to be able to adjust the red shocks from the top you can find one of these tools ( no longer made) or make one yourself as they are fairly straightforward:

Click to view attachment

Tdskip
QUOTE(live free & drive @ Nov 22 2020, 12:50 PM) *

if you want to be able to adjust the red shocks from the top you can find one of these tools ( no longer made) or make one yourself as they are fairly straightforward:

Click to view attachment

Handy tool, I have not seen it before. Thank you for posting.

Any other experiences with the yellow or reproduced Boge struts?
betz
It looks like AA replaced the "Bogetos" with that new reproduction Boge shocks. I actually ended up getting the red boge shocks, I suppose they seem fine but my whole car needs work before I can really tell the quality of the shock. Does anyone else have experience with the red "Bogetos" (made in mexico Boges..). Was wondering if I should just budget bilsteins or konis at some point or if they are a good shock.
Tdskip
QUOTE(betz @ Nov 23 2020, 12:43 PM) *

It looks like AA replaced the "Bogetos" with that new reproduction Boge shocks. I actually ended up getting the red boge shocks, I suppose they seem fine but my whole car needs work before I can really tell the quality of the shock. Does anyone else have experience with the red "Bogetos" (made in mexico Boges..). Was wondering if I should just budget bilsteins or konis at some point or if they are a good shock.

In the same boat, it looks like Koni yellow are fine with the range of adjustment provided but... I’ll be running Koni refs in the rear and really want to make sure it all works fluidly togther.
Tdskip
In the name of science I went ahead and ordered these;

Koni Porsche 911 & 912 Classic (Red) Shock; Front; 1972-1974
Model #: 86 1638
$160.34 each

https://www.lmperformance.com/708867/86-163...hock-front.html

If they don't work for the 914 I have a set of 911 Boge struts that these should be OK for.
914_7T3
Turns out I need to replace my rebuilt rear Koni Reds, long story but did more research and came across this. Very interesting....

COMPARING KONI SPECIAL VS. KONI SPORT

The characteristics of shock absorbers hardly ever get the attention they deserve, despite the damper being responsible for comfort, roadholding, stability and safety.

Below is a force velocity graph of a KONI Special and a KONI Sport shock, both designed for the same vehicle. The graph displays the adjustment ranges for both shocks. The pink area shows the adjustment range where both shocks are equal in value. The red area indicates that portion unique to the KONI Special, while the yellow area is specific to the Sport shock only. When a car accelerates, brakes or rolls, typical damper speeds are in the (A) area. Damper speeds caused by road surface irregularities (bumps, railroad tracks, etc.) are in the (B) area.

Click to view attachment

KONI Special (red or black). The KONI Special dampers are designed to offer the best compromise between road handling and comfort. If only a Special damper is listed, its adjustment forces are designed for all driving requirements.

KONI Sport (yellow). The KONI Sport dampers are designed for aggressive driving or cars with suspension upgrades while continuing to offer comfort. If a KONI Sport is listed as an alternative to the KONI Special, choose Sport for aggressive handling characteristics.
Tdskip
Great information, thanks for posting.

Not sure I’d want stiffer than red for a default street car.
Steve
Curious has anyone switched from Bilstein HD to Koni sports? Is the lowest setting on the Koni sports a ride improvement over the Bilstein HD's?

Just curious....
Steve
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Nov 24 2020, 02:05 PM) *

In the name of science I went ahead and ordered these;

Koni Porsche 911 & 912 Classic (Red) Shock; Front; 1972-1974
Model #: 86 1638
$160.34 each

https://www.lmperformance.com/708867/86-163...hock-front.html

If they don't work for the 914 I have a set of 911 Boge struts that these should be OK for.

@tdskip
according to Paragon, the only externally adjustable front shock for BOGE struts is the 8641-1077. They work in 914-4 struts and 911 boge struts, which is what I have. They are on back order.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.