Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hazard switch works but not turn signals
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Trying to get the Fresno 914 beater ready for a weekend run, and I think I’m in decent shape mechanically so onto electrical foibles.

When I pulled a hazard switch I get blinking indicators on the dash and left side of the car but I do not get working turn signals in either direction.

The right turn signal will have the indicators flash once and then nothing.

That leads me to think that I have a combination of most likely burned out bulbs but also a problem with either my turn signal switch itself or the flasher relay.

This car sat for a very long time and I had a really clean a bunch of the electrical connections so it may just be that the turn signal stock needs to be used more to get the crud off from sitting, but was hoping for a bit of a confirmation that I’m on the right track here.

If the relay is bad looks like getting one from @spoke is the way to go?

And yes, I know, shocking that I’m going to actually go drive one of the darn things rather than just work on bringing another one back to life.

Thanks!
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Nov 18 2020, 07:07 PM) *

Trying to get the Fresno 914 beater ready for a weekend run, and I think I’m in decent shape mechanically so onto electrical foibles.

When I pulled a hazard switch I get blinking indicators on the dash and left side of the car but I do not get working turn signals in either direction.

That leads me to think that I have a combination of most likely burned out bulbs but also a problem with either my turn signal switch itself or the flasher relay.

This car sat for a very long time and I had a really clean a bunch of the electrical connections so it may just be that the turn signal stock needs to be used more to get the crud off from sitting, but was hoping for a bit of a confirmation that I’m on the right track here.

And yes, I know, shocking that I’m going to actually go drive one of the darn things rather than just work on bringing another one back to life.

Thanks!

First try taking the turn signal covers off and twisting/wiggling the bulbs. In my (admittedly) somewhat limited experience corrosion on the bulb holders is at least as likely as burned out bulbs. If they kind of intermittently work when twisted then take the bulbs out and clean the sockets and bulb bases.
Tdskip
QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Nov 18 2020, 10:21 PM) *

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Nov 18 2020, 07:07 PM) *

Thanks!

First try taking the turn signal covers off and twisting/wiggling the bulbs. In my (admittedly) somewhat limited experience corrosion on the bulb holders is at least as likely as burned out bulbs. If they kind of intermittently work when twisted then take the bulbs out and clean the sockets and bulb bases.

Good reminder, and I actually did have the foresight to order replacement bulbs so let me swap those out in the morning and see where that gets me.

Thanks for the response, hope you are doing well.
Spoke
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Nov 18 2020, 10:07 PM) *

Let me see if I understand what you see:

1. Pull the hazard switch and L and R tach indicators some outside lights flash. Likely the flasher relay is working.

2. With hazard switch pulled, both L and R tach indicators are flashing and flash rate is normal 1 Hz or one flash per second.

3. With hazard switch pulled, only the outside left front and rear turnsignals are flashing. Neither outside right front and rear turnsignals light up.

4. Left turnsignal with ignition on, no flashing or single blink from the indicator or outside lights.

5. Right turnsignal with ignition on, a single flash of the indicator (does outside lights flash too?) then nothing.

Test all bulbs first. This way you can eliminate them from the issues.

As mentioned before, clean all bulb sockets. Scrape the power buttons in the sockets with a small screwdriver. Press gently on the buttons.

Here's the schematic of the 914 flasher system. All outside light wires congregate at the hazard switch if you need to trace wires.
Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Good morning - think I have isolated the problems down to a couple things now. Cleaning the sockets where the bulbs insert made a big different, thanks @Spoke

- my turn signal switch isn't activating for left turns
- the turn signal switch does activate for right hand turns but only flashes once.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.