Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bent or dented doors worth keeping?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
I have a couple dented doors, not rusty, but with dents or folds. This is a later door, have an early one too.

I hate getting rid of stuff but my hunch is these probably have little value. Yes/no/maybe?

Good as a paint sample maybe? biggrin.gif Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
mepstein
Strip the rest of the parts and then recycle.
Cairo94507
That does not look like a horrible dent. In addition, those doors have not been cut up for door speakers and have the late window mechanisms (desirable) and appear to be in otherwise great shape. I would list them for sale; someone will need that. beerchug.gif
Tdskip
Thanks - will get them posted at low brain damage listing, just hope they go to use.
ValcoOscar
Throw a gumball on it and repurpose as WALL ART piratenanner.gif

Tdskip
Ha! Right next to the vintage bias ply Goodyear racing slick I took off it.

Door is actually being donated to @bdstone914 as a small thank you for all of his help and support. If you need good door glass or hinges or anything else you see, or want to use it as wall art, please ping him.

Thanks gentlemen.
mepstein
My reason for saying chuck it is because it looks like it’s bent at the hinge area. If so, it would be a bitch to straighten and align properly. If it was a 356 door, it would be a different matter.
sixnotfour
door strap broke, I just did one headbang.gif hissyfit.gif slap.gif
MM1
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Nov 19 2020, 11:57 AM) *

Throw a gumball on it and repurpose as WALL ART piratenanner.gif

Good call, Oscar!

aktion035.gif
914forme
And if it got into the side impact bar what a pain to straiten.
Bartlett 914
What is disappointing is that there are no suppliers of door skins. They should be easy to make would make for an easy repair.
bbrock
I think whether to scrap or save depends on where you live. Out here in the boonies, I would definitely try to save that door but in your neighborhood, probably not. Locally sourced parts simply do not exist and shipping costs sure help you re-evaluate what is scrap.

That said, I got really lucky swapping my badly rusted out doors when @Kelty360 , who I had never met before contacted to say he would be passing my way and offered free delivery service from the Seattle area if there was anything I needed. I was lucky again to quickly source a nice pair of doors from @914work and a few days later, Marc delivered them to my door and provided great company and conversation to boot.

I got lucky again sourcing a nice rear deck lid from a member just a few miles out of the way on my way to visit my brother in Iowa so was able to haul that one home myself.

So yeah, I see a door like that and think, "I could make that work" biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.