Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Rare wood dash?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mark Henry
I saw an ad on a ‘for sale’ page for a 914 rare wood dash insert (factory or dealer option)? Is there such an animal?

Does anyone have a good high quality picture of this dash insert? Or any info? Wood type?

My other gig (you know, the one that pays the bills) is cabinet making. I do some quality reproduction work, besides the industrial and high-end residential woodworking.

I would love to do something nicer than my boring, cheap looking crap insert material, that’s starting to curl in the corners. But I would like to stick to something that at least looks like it might have been a dealer option.

I’ve seen a .com biz flogging an insert kit, but I would be totally pissed if I got a piece of masonite, with MACtac stuck on it.
J P Stein
I don't have a good answer here.
I had a 73 911 with a wood dash. Tho it was decent material, it didn't look like it belonged there.

The gutted dash in my 914 was lookin' pretty sorry so I made a dash from wood. It don't look right either......but it does cover all them holes smile.gif
krk
Mark,

In my '73 (now gone) the PO had put a wooden dash kit on. I'm guessing that it was a kit btw. It came in 3 pieces -- one for the glove box lid, and one for each side of the steering column. I'll rummage in my old photos and see if I can find a pic that shows it. (I'm sure I've got one somewhere as I was totally nuts about the car when I got it. Actually, I was totally nuts about it when I sold it, but there's only so much room at the house and something had to go...) Anyhooo, I'll take a look later today.

kim.
Mark Henry
Be clear, I would only do it if it looks proper. The quality level would be par with the work you see in a Rolls or Bentley. A nice burl, matched grain and a professional finish.

When I say I do high-end work, I mean expensive. If you want cheap, go to Home Debit. If you want firewood go to Wal-mart.
Gint
.02 of MHO coming up...

I've seen a few wood dashes in 914's, didn't like any of 'em. If you did a really nice install (although I think a burl would be waaaay overkill in a 914), it might look good.
Porsche Rescue
British cars look good with wood but not Porsches. Check ebay #1875851355 to see Craig Laughlin's carbon fiber dash. Not the best pic. Maybe he will post a better one. Very easy to cut and fit. I copied him on my car but don't have a pic. I eliminated the radio, glove box and heater controls (headers) on my car. He kept his closer to stock. Really goes well with stock black interior and looks better than the basket weave vinyl.
jtf914
Since we are talking about rare wood options, has anyone ever seen one of these steering wheels before. It is part number: 914 347 809 00 and it has a date of 11 72 stamped on it.
jtf914
Another shot:
Mark Henry
Anytime I think about doing a custom mod, I think that I will look at this, before I do it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=1875963283 blink.gif
Targa
That really makes me want to puke.
Brad Roberts
The wood wheel is cool... but the ebay car does make me puke. LOL
Curvie Roadlover
You could try and try but you could NEVER come up with an uglier interior than that car!! Notice in the ad there isn't ONE piece of info about the motor. I like the wood steering wheel, especially since it's factory produced.
EdwardBlume
It must have been an option. I met a guy in the Sac Area with a black 914-6 with the factory flares. I'm pretty sure it had a wood dash. For the sporting gentleman I presume (wood).
Maine914
I saw one on a 1.7 in Southern Connecticut. The owner said it was aftermarket. It was kind of a paste-on veneer that looked pretty cheap.
Good luck.
tryan
jp. the tach gets turned so red line is straight up, but why is the speedo turned in the pic in your post.

i assume your car goes so fast that it spins the speedometer right out of the dash? just curious? unsure.gif
Curvie Roadlover
In my car the speedo is turned for visibility. My car is for street use but has a MOMO steering wheel which blocks most of the speedo from about 0 to 60 mph.Turning the speedo allows me to see a more useful range of speeds on the dial.
J P Stein
The speedo is turned so's I can see the 60-90 range.
The 320mm steering wheel blocks it out, otherwise.
When the car starts to feel good and the Webers start to sing, I glance at the speedo...oops.....90ish. A guy can get in trouble there.

As for the tach, I have never looked at it while AXing.
I short shift (by ear) from first . I've found that is best. When the tires hook, it's time to shift. I use the rev limiter in 2nd. I seldom use 3rd but limiter anounces the need for a shift....shit, blew that run. I then either put in the 7300 chip or figure out where to shift into 3rd for the next run.
I hope, with more practice, I'll find find time to look at it some day. Now, things happen too fast for me to keep up.
ulf leads a hard life.
tryan
is redline in 3rd about 90? i thought staight up might be the speed limit of 70.

edit: i have the same steering wheel and love the fat grip.the it's only non stock item on the car.
J P Stein
QUOTE(tryan @ Feb 1 2003, 08:34 PM)
is redline in 3rd about 90? i thought staight up might be the speed limit of 70.

I dunno, sounds about right.
Since I been screwing around with tire sizes, my speedo is
"Reference Only" 80 indicated is 70ish....bout 3300 rpm.

I like the wheel, also. It's a good fit for me.

I'm gonna paint one of them white stripes on it so I can tell which way I'm turnin'....prolly worth a second or 2, I figure. I might not get lost so often, also. blink.gif
seanery
Wanna sell the wood wheel?
Porsche Rescue
While the wood wheel looks good, I think it is a custom wheel made from a factory wheel. I do not believe Porsche ever made a wood rimmed wheel for the 914 ( or 911 for that matter). I recall seeing ads by a company which would convert a stock wheel to a wood rim. It was expensive.
Dave_Darling
Remember, "Dealer Option" is another way of saying "Anything that Joe-Bob Carseller can slap on there and charge you an arm and a leg for"...

--DD
Brad Roberts
My wifes car and Muellers 6 had the "exact" same wood grain kit in them. I yanked the wifes kit and will yank the 6's kit. The main problem is: the headlight and other switches are difficult to work. They where designed to work on a flat piece not wood with recess holes.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.