Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: does anybody have any info
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
just for my info, does anybody completly rebuild the 901 and keeps some sort of inventory?

the jeep tranny was around 3K...
ArtechnikA
if you want an actual 901, check Vertex.
if you need a 914, i donno.
THE guy for transmission rebuilds on the East Coast is Gary Fairbanks.

$3k won't buy parts for a 914 rebuild.
bd1308
901....the 5 speed tranny that just keeps on going.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jul 15 2005, 09:01 PM)
901....the 5 speed tranny that just keeps on going.

so you'd be wanting this for a 911 or 912?

'cause those are the cars that use Type 901 transmissions.

the transmissions for our cars that we CALL the 901 is, in fact, a Type 914.

5 speeds reverse is sub-useful...

Vertex sometimes stocks 901's. they don't do 914's.
bd1308
so the tranny for the Porsche 914 is actually called the 914.....

wtf...

i guess i want one of those then. unless i mount the 901 upside down.
bd1308
so does anybody repair a type 914 then?
mihai914
I think Rich answered your question promptly, are you in pre-school or something because that would explain the fact that you can't read!!! screwy.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jul 15 2005, 09:11 PM)
so the tranny for the Porsche 914 is actually called the 914.....

yup. it's derived from the 901. shares almost (if not all) internal parts. in the case of the 914.6, the intermediate plate is slightly different. and of course the ring gear is on the other side, and the hockey stick is different, even for the tailshift units. obviously the end cover is completely different.

you wanna talk confusing - my '71 911 uses a Type 911 transmission.
only used 2 years, most people don't know (or forgot) about it. i tell people i have a 911 transmission and they almost always ask if it's a 901 or a 915. "no, it's a 911..." basically, it's a 901 (same pattern, same internal parts) set up for the late-model flywheel (separate starter ring gear) and pushi-me-pulli-you clutch.
bondo
I'm selling used parts (ad in the classifieds) that will bring costs down (compare my prices to pelican to see what I mean). It CAN be done yourself, but you'll have to take off your rockers! chairfall.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (mihai914 @ Jul 15 2005, 09:17 PM)
I think Rich answered your question promptly...

calm down, Mihai, all i was able to tell Britt was i didn't know of a stocking source for rebuilt 914 tramsnissions.

that doesn't change the fact that he's still looking for one.

several people do them, but i don't think many people stock rebuilt ones. i'd try Jim at EASY out west or dC Automotive on the East coast for a (relatively) fresh used one. RedBeard here freshens them using some secret process that costs less than the parts. i don't think he keeps stock.

i have a low-miles /6 trans/diff that i am keeping, so i didn't bring it up :-)

i gather from BD's sig that he'd need a sideshift anyway.
d914
and thats the case to use if you want the larger clutch in a 914. Move the vents and now you have a reverse pull clutch , 225mm disc and now you have a 901/911/914
bd1308
cool...thanks rich.

bondo, parents are gone for a whole week, so i'm doing my pushrod tube seals at that time.

i'll take pics.
Red-Beard
Uh, the 914's tranny _is_ a 901, with differences.

The 914/6 is, except for gearing and the rear cover that part of the connection. The Intermediate plate is the same as the ones for the 911's in 1969.

The Early 914/4 trannies used the same intermediate plate as the 6's, minus the throttle linkage rod.

The later tail's used an intermediate plate without the drilling for the throttle rod.

914/4 sideshift's use a different tail cover, and different internal shift rods, while gearing is the same.

Back to the original question, does anyone stock rebuilt trannies for the 914? Vertex used to. I don't know if they still do.

I don't stock trannies and Dr. Evil presently has my tools, but I've been told they were shipped back to me this week. He is planning to continuing to rebuild 1 tranny a month.

How do I do it so cheap? Well, I use good used parts from doner trannies, instead of new. The only weak point is 1st gear slider, which I take the best one and re-point with a dremel. As good as new? Nope.

How much to completely rebuild a tranny with all new parts, if the case is still good? About $4000 in parts and labor.
mihai914
In the tech spec book, they refer to two types of trannys, 70-71-72 type 914/11 73-74 type 914/12 gearing is the same through all types of course.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jul 15 2005, 08:26 PM)
cool...thanks rich.

bondo, parents are gone for a whole week, so i'm doing my pushrod tube seals at that time.

i'll take pics.

most people throw parties... hire strippers and have a REAL good time with the motor oil! mueba.gif
bd1308
laugh.gif

used motor oil?

hmmm.....
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jul 16 2005, 08:16 AM)
laugh.gif

used motor oil?

hmmm.....

never seen 20-50 motor oil wrestling? you haven't lived!
Red-Beard
If you want to slow them down, use 90W-140.

But you'll never get the smell off.... grouphug.gif
bd1308
i was thinking the same thing.....getting oil-wrestling girls is hard these days....

off to dayton
marks914
Brad Roberts at 914 LTD is in East Peoria IL. He has plenty and does an excellent job.
Mark
don9146
QUOTE (marks914 @ Jul 16 2005, 09:55 AM)
Brad Roberts at 914 LTD is in East Peoria IL. He has plenty and does an excellent job.
Mark

Should that be Brad Mayeur?
kenpolives
These guys have a rebuilt tranny (or at least they did)

http://www.bavarianrocketscience.com/parts.htm
Red-Beard
hijacked.gif

Where in Albany do you live? I only knew one other 914 guy when I lived in Albany, in fact the guy that told me about them...
tod914
Should that be Brad Mayeur?
No, Brad Mayeur is in Georgia and goes by the alias Miles.
Brad Roberts
Ha ha Brad Mayeur is 20+ years older than me..

Anyway..

While at HPH we built several NEW 914/901 cases straight from Porsche. NEW tranny cases. We reused the R+P/the input shaft and gears. Everything else was new. It runs about $5500 to build one with a new Guard LSD.

B
Red-Beard
@$5500, you don't have much labor in there.
Red-Beard
Brad, do you still have a line on new cases?
Brad Roberts
I can check Monday. I *think* they where down to only having a few left when we last ordered almost a year ago.

I set an Outlook reminder to check on Monday for you. None of the wholesale places are showing them. I know we ordered from Porsche last time. I'll check with Hoehn on Monday.

B
bd1308
as long as i can get into gears without grind i consider that new.

i need to reset the lock-out plate for the shifter....right now it too far to the right, so 2-3 slot is also locked-out...
Joe Ricard
BRITT Can I be perfectly Honest? You should not be playing with these kinds of toys. Maybe you need a Honda or something. Seems you are a very bored guy that has a few tools and wants to take shit apart just because.

WTF LEAVE IT ALONE!!!! Are you good fixing Computers? Ya might want to stick with that.

Just because you can't get the shift linkage corect DON"T MEAN YOU NEED A NEW FUCKING TRANSMISION.

Sorry Ya'll I'm done now.
bd1308
joe linkage is fine. car shifts good. i'm just asking questions. Asking does not constitute an emergency or a borken part.

i'm actually driving my car now!

mihai914
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jul 17 2005, 09:59 AM)
i'm just asking questions. Asking does not constitute an emergency or a borken part.

agree.gif with Joe...

The problem is that you're asking the wrong questions. Usually when you try to fix a problem, you go from the simplest solution all the way up to the most complex, but you have it all wrong.

Seems to me that you don't know what you're doing most of the time and you just throw parts hoping to fix the problem, well I have news for you, you should go work for a Mercedes dealer in the shop because that's how they do it now and that's why they are at the bottom of satisfaction surveys.

Anyway, do you have any one of the car manuals for the 914? You should try and read one of them some time, there is plenty of answers in there.

I too was really young and got in to the 914 ownership with a piece of crap, but you know what I spent my time lurking on the PorscheFiles, PorscheList and Rennlist when even DampDave was the one doing the asking. Everyone has to start somewhere, but take your time and research.

If you have any life aspiration, you should know that the key of being a good employee or your own boss is to be able to research your stuff. If you're waiting for others to give it to you straight with a spoon, it will never happen and you'll be jugged as an incompetent which is what you portray here...

I honestly have nothing against you and would definitely go grab a beer if the occasion should show up, but sometimes Britt you're just wasting too much of your energy and some of the other's chasing ten things at a time.

Now get back to work and fix the pushrod tube seals...
Red-Beard
Jeez ya guys are hard on him ar15.gif
Brad Roberts
yeah.. little hard.

I "used" to answer questions so EVERYONE would learn. It doesnt always have to do with the person asking the question. We have an audience. The idea is educate everyone. Not just the person asking the question.

Do you see his mentality: "I consider it NEW, if I can shift it" BULLSHIT.

B
bd1308
bradhole, ever since day one i've had a first and second gear crunch.

instead of asking newbie tranny questions to everyone, i'll just PM Red-Beard.....

Aaron Cox
open it up. look at your synchros. look at your dogteeth. read REDBEARDS article!
i took apart 3 901/914's today. what did you do?

REDBEARDS BITCHIN TRANNY ARTICLE FOR BRITT TO READ

BTW - have you adjusted your clutch????
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jul 17 2005, 06:40 AM)
as long as i can get into gears without grind i consider that new.

and in that case, i have a "NEW" trans to sell you. Only 800 bucks rolleyes.gif but it needs the outputshaft seals replaced....but shifts great wacko.gif
bd1308
yep, clutch great.

everybody, calm down... smoke.gif a while and relax.................chill.
dwillouby
Britt

I can help you with the trans if you need it. They are really fairly simple to figure out.
David
bd1308
thanks, i'll PM you if I require assistance. Went to dayton without a hitch, so i am certain I could go over to your place....

smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.