Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Save or scrap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
930cabman
Brought home a fixer/upper yesterday from MA. price was $0.00, so I guess you get what you pay for. Nice aluminum wheels, generally decent interior, small crack in dash pad, but will need extensive metal work. 1.8 motor in boxes. Targa roof is probably holding the hulk together, I have not tried to loosen the top. I managed to get the doors off and found previous 16 gauge repairs to the original floor. Question: will braces between the door hinge mountings and door lock post be sufficient to stabilize the weakened structure?

I found the factory measuring points, and will be checking them.
Will be a long and winding road for sure, wish me luck. At least wife is onboard.

I have not figured out to post photos, flip phone. I can get them from my camera into my email, but ????

Also, how do I make a donation to 914 World?

thanks to all
Superhawk996
QUOTE(930cabman @ Nov 22 2020, 01:49 PM) *

Question: will braces between the door hinge mountings and door lock post be sufficient to stabilize the weakened structure?

Now you went and did it. lol-2.gif Welcome to the insanity.

IMHO door braces alone are not enough. Pictures of my set up are in my build thread linked in signature block. Find Jeff Hail and Brent Brock threads - priceless info in each.

My structural work has been done on a build cart (Jeff Hail Style) that supports the front cross member and the rear of the car at the transmission mounts.

I have also been using door braces and a third diagonal brace that runs diagonal from driver front corner to passenger rear corner of the passenger compartment.

I still find the structure to be moving around just a bit more than I'd like, but, lacking a Celette bench for real frame work, it is serviceable. I know others have made do with less. Personally I'd want more if I were to do this again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.