Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Body kits?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Calwaterbear
I'm not talking about the fender flare kits, I'm just wondering if anyone ever made something cool as a kit car - like a stratos, or a GT 40, or some of the Ferraris?

Obviously a bunch of those for beetle frames, but I wonder if anyone ever did it for the 914 platform?
Rand
Dude. Just no. These cars have passed that barrier.
Every body mod devalues them now. Hugely.

If you want to be a poser, this is not your platform.
Rand
Did you say frames?
Mikey914
Yes in the day there was Premiere. Beach Boys racing did some cabriolet.

They were cool at the time. But honestly if you want to do a kit I'd look at something on a Boxter platform.
Rand
Even boxSter people agree.
sixnotfour
914 on a Boxster..
raynekat
Click to view attachment

This is the one I remember most....

Click to view attachment

The Eagle GT.
Wasn't all that bad.
raynekat
Or the infamous LeMons Mazda 787B Replica....

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mikey914
Here's one my brother has. Post #4 He has enough cars I'd bet he'd cut you a deal. Unfortunately, it's been sitting awhile

https://rennlist.com/forums/914-914-6-forum...sche-914-a.html
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(raynekat @ Nov 28 2020, 11:23 AM) *

Click to view attachment

This is the one I remember most....

The Eagle GT.
Wasn't all that bad.

My dad built an Eagle back in the day.
sixnotfour
beerchug.gif
Zaffer
I could definitely get behind the eagle and the 550/356 coupe style. Both are nice looking cars.
Calwaterbear
QUOTE(Rand @ Nov 28 2020, 10:11 AM) *

Thank you so much for your unsolicited opinion. If only you had any information pertinent to the question!

i appreciate the feedback from those who chose to inform and educate me.

That eagle is fantastic!
Steve
There were some nice kits in the 80’s, funny how things go out of style. The GT look is more popular now. All the kit companies went out of business. You will find them occasionally in the classifieds. Google images for Rayco 914, Beach boys racing Monterey 914 and Chalon 914. These were the most popular
Root_Werks
Wouldn't put any sort of body kit on a 914 anymore unless it was some sort of period correct/factory flares or other factory options.
Mark Henry
I know where a Rayco kit is, one time it was mine and seeing as I bought it for IIRC $100 and sold it for $200 I think I was the only owner ever to make money on the kit.
Never mounted, it's for sale cheap local to me.

I also know where the Lazer 917 molds are, and they're for sale as well.
Rand
QUOTE(Calwaterbear @ Nov 28 2020, 05:38 PM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Nov 28 2020, 10:11 AM) *

Thank you so much for your unsolicited opinion. If only you had any information pertinent to the question!

i appreciate the feedback from those who chose to inform and educate me.

That eagle is fantastic!

LOL! It was solicited when you posted here. wink.gif
And you should really take it to heart. Please don't molest a 914 with a body kit. It's not the 80s any more!! Like I said, it will only devalue it.
I chose to inform and educate you. If you don't listen to me, please listen to the others who are more subtle about it than me. Putting a body kit on a 914 is STUPID.

https://www.google.com/search?q=STUPID&...me&ie=UTF-8
mepstein
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 28 2020, 08:01 PM) *

I know where a Rayco kit is, one time it was mine and seeing as I bought it for IIRC $100 and sold it for $200 I think I was the only owner ever to make money on the kit.

I dream of taking a Lazer 917 to a Porsche event. stirthepot.gif
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 28 2020, 05:51 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 28 2020, 08:01 PM) *

I dream of taking a Lazer 917 to a Porsche event. stirthepot.gif

I had a guy one time tell me he wanted to sell his Porsche 917. I asked him for pictures, he swore it was a real 917. It was a Lazer, I said it was cool but it wasn't a Porsche. He asked how I could tell it from a the real thing....
Rand
Don't forget paint jobs. That can really send it! Woo! And you could lower it more. Ooh the 4x4 is uber cool.

I think a bug has more options...

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk00...745&bih=852

IPB Image
sixnotfour
Beck front and rear clips.. I have a NOS set....
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(Rand @ Nov 28 2020, 05:56 PM) *

Don't forget paint jobs. That can really send it! Woo! And you could lower it more. Ooh the 4x4 is uber cool.

I think a bug has more options...

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk00...745&bih=852

IPB Image

There actually are some cool bug kits.
Rand
Bugs give you lots of room, and that's where playing with body kits doesn't hurt. But 914s are different territory. Would you put a body kit on a ferrari? No. Not saying a 914 is a ferrari, but I hope you get the point. The value is going up up up, don't be stupid. Do a bug. That's what the ladybug said.
Chris H.
Quite a bit of effort went in to that "Porrera". Wow.
sixnotfour
beer.gif
sixnotfour
beer.gif
AZBanks
This is the Chalon kit. A lot of them were done poorly. This is one of the better Chalons I have seen.

mepstein
I would do this one.
ValcoOscar
Here's a fun one...low budget

Click to view attachment
Superhawk996
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 30 2020, 01:49 PM) *

I would do this one.

Which one? idea.gif

I'm with @Rand -- plenty of heavily molested teeners out there. Please don't start with a nice car and then kit it. Find a jalopy and start there.
AZBanks
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Nov 30 2020, 12:13 PM) *

I would do this one.

Which one? idea.gif

I'm with @Rand -- plenty of heavily molested teeners out there. Please don't start with a nice car and then kit it. Find a jalopy and start there.

I agree as well. If the body is in good shape, leave it stock or go with steel GT fender flares.

I am installing a Chalon kit because my project started as a basket case and every fender was covered in massive amounts of bondo. It would cost more to fix the fenders than the car would be worth so I am removing them and replacing them with the Chalon kit.
Steve
QUOTE(AZBanks @ Nov 30 2020, 11:29 AM) *

I would do this one.

Which one? idea.gif

I agree as well. If the body is in good shape, leave it stock or go with steel GT fender flares.

I am installing a Chalon kit because my project started as a basket case and every fender was covered in massive amounts of bondo. It would cost more to fix the fenders than the car would be worth so I am removing them and replacing them with the Chalon kit.

That one looks nice!! A turn off for me was the fiberglass. They don’t seem to age well and I have seen a bunch that cracked over time. Is that normal?
mepstein
QUOTE(Steve @ Nov 30 2020, 02:43 PM) *

QUOTE(AZBanks @ Nov 30 2020, 11:29 AM) *

I would do this one.

Which one? idea.gif

That one looks nice!! A turn off for me was the fiberglass. They don’t seem to age well and I have seen a bunch that cracked over time. Is that normal?

Yes. Fiberglass doesn’t hold up to street driving. There are exceptions of course but most of the glass that’s offered is for the track. Light and easily replaced.
sb914
Not a kit but a incredible fabricator.. wub.gif Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
QUOTE(sb914 @ Nov 30 2020, 01:54 PM) *

Not a kit but a incredible fabricator.. wub.gif]

Totally amazing..
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...298790&st=0
914forme
AIR / Bond 914 / 934. Still my favorite version out there, maybe it is just the fact that I was a teenager when it came out.

Click to view attachment

Somewhere I have a post with a bunch of the body kit suppliers and the sales flyers.

BTW, I also wanted the 904 in the background.
mepstein
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 30 2020, 04:17 PM) *

QUOTE(sb914 @ Nov 30 2020, 01:54 PM) *

Not a kit but a incredible fabricator.. wub.gif]

Totally amazing..
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...298790&st=0

He built a car. The thread still blows me away.
AZBanks
QUOTE(914forme @ Dec 1 2020, 01:39 PM) *

AIR / Bond 914 / 934. Still my favorite version out there, maybe it is just the fact that I was a teenager when it came out.

Click to view attachment

Somewhere I have a post with a bunch of the body kit suppliers and the sales flyers.

BTW, I also wanted the 904 in the background.

I like the eagle/904 and the 934 kits as well.
Van914
Stephen,
I still have a Beach Boys Racing and and a Mid Engineering catalog with all kinds of body kits.
Superhawk996
I had a fascination with Kit Cars in the 80's and of course thought the Chalon was what I neeed for my 914. Taste has changed and I now prefer the GT widebody as I think it has aged better than some of the 80's designs.

Luckily I outgrew this one too (Mirage - not a teener) but wanted one bad back in the day. What was I thinking? CamAm replica of sorts with about a 4' front overhang that gurantess you can't get in most driveways without scraping. laugh.gif

Click to view attachment

Others that have aged a little better

Kelmark GT's I've seen with a wide range of motors including Type 4's

Click to view attachment

And of course I think the Beck 550 still looks good and have seen those with 911 motors chowtime.gif Now were talking.

Click to view attachment
Steve
I still have a beach boys catalog and rayco catalog. In the 80’s I really wanted the rayco body kit. It was based on the prototype boxster. Thank god AA came out with affordable steel GT flairs!!
bernbomb914
I have a Rayco kit that I will sell for cheap it is new and never been installed I am to old to try that now
eeyore
Sheridan wide body!
Mikey914
Yep just pulled the 1st rear 1/4's on it in Carbon Fiber.

Gotta say I like the look. I will be doing Taylors' old car with this kit.
eric9144
QUOTE(eeyore @ Dec 2 2020, 08:53 AM) *

Sheridan wide body!

agree.gif
Damn @Mikey914 that looks good, so excited you guys took over that whole Sheridan body mold business first.gif
Rand
I respect Sheridan because it was a need to fit more tire for purpose built race cars. And it looks damned cool.

It's the goofy looks that try to make the car into something else that I despise. (And even then, only in my later fuddy duddy years because of how it devalues something which is becoming more priceless over time - for only visual reasons. Which is like painting your favorite supermodel's face over the mona lisa. Oof, she's ugly! LOL)
MATTYLITE
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 2 2020, 09:44 AM) *

Yep just pulled the 1st rear 1/4's on it in Carbon Fiber.

Gotta say I like the look. I will be doing Taylors' old car with this kit.

Carbon rear quarters of Sheridan's kit look great.

Do you plan to have them all cut off before the tail light area, or do you plan to offer a set that incorporates the tail light section?

Also to add, great job on adding more material & folding it over and into the u channel of the rear trunk. My current fiberglass original Sheridan rear quarters do not have that, and they did not come perfectly trimmed down the line..
SirAndy
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Nov 29 2020, 01:18 PM) *
There actually are some cool bug kits.

agree.gif

My old '74 1303S Super Beetle with a T4 2.0L and 911 whale tail and 8"/9" wheels:

IPB Image
bigkensteele
I remember one from the back of VW & Porsche called Fox (I believe) that was not bad. It was actually just a spoiler, rockers, a rear skirt and an ugly wing that I would not have installed. All the rest looked pretty good as I recall.

Anybody remember that one?
Mikey914
I paid the $25 for the booklet that had the parts list.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.