Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Window gapping and vertical targa seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sfspeed
Hi everyone

Been unsuccessful with addressing the window gaps on my 74. Just resprayed and seals replaced from 914 rubber.
Difficult time closing doors with windows all the way up because the rear window needs to be jammed into vertical targa seal.
Have tried adjusting tilt and pillar nuts without success. Only bolt I haven't tried is the large one holding window to the regulator.
The rear portion of the targa top now also has gapping although latched in.
Front triangle window seal also seems to pinch with door closure. To shut door requires significant force with window up because it wont clear in the rear.

Is it the vertical targa seals? Do they usually need to be trimmed or other seals? Or just not able to make window adjustments.

Thank you for your suggestions and advice.
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=770
695] Click to view attachment
Mikey914
Ouch.
Looks like a few things going on here. The main seal doesn't have the corner screws in it. You can see how it's rolled out. The seal on the roof may be too long, but DO NOT cut it until you have the main seal correctly seated. It might just be the right size if it is moved back about 1/8"

DO not pull the roof seal through the track. Rubber has memory and with expansion and contraction it will appear to shrink when the tension is released.

I'll PM you some info to help
bbrock
There is a LOT of adjustment in those windows and you still have more fiddling to do. Almost every nut and bolt attaching the window mechanism to the door and the window to the mechanism provides some sort of adjustment.

Your main problem (obviously) is that gap. You will adjust the window by pivoting the window to raise the height at the rear and not the front. When you do that, it will pull the upper rear corner of the glass forward and cure your problem with binding on the upright seal. IIRC, that adjustment is made by loosening the bolts on the nylon blocks that slide in the tracks and pulling the window up the way you need it. It will take some trial and error and is not a quick process to get it exactly right.

The seal issues Mark mentioned also need to be addressed so I would take care of those first but they aren't going to solve your problem completely. Like Mark said, DON'T TRIM any seals until you are certain you have to.
Mikey914
I just noticed the 1s picture. Something is off here. Looks like the seals are in backwards. Looks like it might have been corrected in the later photos, but may contribute to the issue.
sfspeed
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 28 2020, 05:34 PM) *

I just noticed the 1s picture. Something is off here. Looks like the seals are in backwards. Looks like it might have been corrected in the later photos, but may contribute to the issue.

Was wondering if the seals were installed correctly or not. Was even wondering if they may have inadvertently used targa to window seal instead of vertical targa seal (targa to window seals were missing). Pics may be mixed between passenger and door side. Have been looking for photos of what the window should appear against (or within the seal) completely raised to compare. The 13mm nut on the regular is the only nut I haven't tried loosening, but will do now knowing it can allow the window to be pivoted, raising the rear as well as tilting in.

Thanks
Rand
FIRST of all, be sure your roof and doors aren't from different years.
ejm
In your first window adjustment post here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=350038&hl= you wrote
I'm a recent new owner to a 74 1.8 and just had the rust addressed

Post pictures that show the door handles and gaps
altitude411
"FIRST of all, be sure your roof and doors aren't from different years".-Rand

agree.gif w/ this. not necessarily doors but...

early top- early window regulators

late top -late window regulators
horizontally-opposed
Something is very, very wrong in those first pics—looks like the seals are in wrong way, or aren't even the right seal?

The vertical seal is the first clue…you shouldn't see much of it when the door is shut, as the window closes into the "groove." Horizontal seal looks thicker than it should, too.

But even when you have everything right, it takes a lot of fiddling to get everything right. I'm still fiddling...
Mikey914
QUOTE(sfspeed @ Nov 28 2020, 04:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 28 2020, 05:34 PM) *

Was wondering if the seals were installed correctly or not. Was even wondering if they may have inadvertently used targa to window seal instead of vertical targa seal (targa to window seals were missing). Pics may be mixed between passenger and door side. Have been looking for photos of what the window should appear against (or within the seal) completely raised to compare. The 13mm nut on the regular is the only nut I haven't tried loosening, but will do now knowing it can allow the window to be pivoted, raising the rear as well as tilting in.

Thanks

Was the resource I pointed you toward helpful?
yellowporky
-first make sure all of the seals are installed properly and verify it is the correct top
-make sure that the windshield a pillars are not bent back or twisted. Some previous owners have been heavy set and used the a pillar to aide in the removal from the vehicle.
-remove the door panel and make all of the adjustments possible with the top off
-now make sure that the front top latches have not been adjusted too short to compensate for an old seal.
Like Pete said lots of fiddling and as the seals seat into their position you will need to make future adjustments.

Keep the top off and windows down and you will not need to worry
sfspeed
QUOTE(yellowporky @ Nov 29 2020, 01:38 PM) *

-first make sure all of the seals are installed properly and verify it is the correct top
-make sure that the windshield a pillars are not bent back or twisted. Some previous owners have been heavy set and used the a pillar to aide in the removal from the vehicle.
-remove the door panel and make all of the adjustments possible with the top off
-now make sure that the front top latches have not been adjusted too short to compensate for an old seal.
Like Pete said lots of fiddling and as the seals seat into their position you will need to make future adjustments.

Keep the top off and windows down and you will not need to worry

Thanks everyone for the advice.
Car is currently at the body shop where it was just re-sprayed.
Was fortunate to have met a 914world local member who let me come over and check out his car. It was very helpful, and just as you all had mentioned, it appears some of the seals may need to be re-installed or adjusted, and then adjust the windows.
Before the car went into the shop, door, window, and targa gaps were ok, although top was off most of the time!

Mikey914
Yes helpful to know how they should go. Unfortunately not too many body shops know these cars anymore. It's not uncommon to have to make tweeks to adjustment when new seals are installed. Just do one at a time.
drem914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 28 2020, 11:40 AM) *
DO not pull the roof seal through the track. Rubber has memory and with expansion and contraction it will appear to shrink when the tension is released.

I'll PM you some info to help

@Mikey914 , how should the Vertical Targa to door window seal be installed? Do they get slid down the track or press fitted in. I need to remove and replace mine as they were installed with the angled end at the bottom.
Mikey914
Removal is easy, on the vertical you can pull through as its shortee.
But, DO NOT pull throuh the ones on the top. They must be installed one edge at a time.
drem914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 26 2022, 03:06 PM) *

But, DO NOT pull throuh the ones on the top. They must be installed one edge at a time.

Thanks, is there any trimming involved on your replacements?
rhodyguy
When dealing with seals, a bottle of glycerin is your best friend. It will NOT harm your paint. Water soluble. Excellent install lubricant.
Mikey914
QUOTE(drem914 @ Feb 26 2022, 07:45 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 26 2022, 03:06 PM) *

Thanks, is there any trimming involved on your replacements?

Yes we provide them long so you can get a perfect fit, as there are different roofs.

You want to make sure the rear portion where the vertical and the roof seal meet evenly, and do not hold the roof up. If it's back too fr it will hold it up.

After you are happy with the place they meet, work on the front. Take a sharp break away knife like you get at Home Depot and some soapy water. If you dip the knife blade in the soapy solution it will cut like butter. May have to re-dip as you go. Just be really careful, it will cut your skin even easier and you will not feel it. Shave off 1/2 of what you think you need to. put the roof on and try to engage the front latches. You will see what you have in your pictures going on. It will put so much pressure the seals will distort. Keep repeating the process until you can engage the latch and it makes a firm contact without buckling or distorting. You will have a perfect seal at this point.

Then do the adjusting with the window. Get the seals in place 1st, otherwise you are shooting at a moving target.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.