Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cv axles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MM1
I just purchased 2 cv axles here - described as plug and play - and when they arrived yesterday, I could hold the cv shaft and turn the cv a degree or 2 back and forth - on every cv.

Is this movement considered "worn"?

When I have replaced cv axles on my Honda Odyssey (several times), I have never felt any play whatsoever on the new ones . . .in fact - the last set had worn inner cv's - dozens of techs at several dealerships failed to diagnose . . .only one service manager nailed the cause . . .still, that set had so little movement, I could not feel any . . .it just felt "more free" than the new ones.

Please advise . . .
IronHillRestorations
Shouldn't have any rotational play
914_teener
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Dec 3 2020, 03:10 PM) *

Shouldn't have any rotational play

agree.gif

Having done these more than a couple of times I'd shy away from used ones.

I'd bite the bullet and get new....and never f with it again, just drive it.
MM1
Thanks, Gents.

So don't bother cleaning/inspecting/measuring the best "old one" out of both recently purchased axles . . .just buy one pre-machined GK cv joint kit from PMB (feels like 3 out of 4 of my original ones are good)?

Click to view attachment

914_teener
Yep...that'd be my course if I were you.

BTDT. PMB and I think Chris at Tangerine can do the whole smear...I think.

I tried saving my first set and I had one that was bad....howled and was old.

It is just a nasty job and why go there more than once?

Do the whole drive train and never do it again.
MM1
Sage advice - as always. Thank you, Sirs!
pete000
https://www.jbugs.com/search.html?q=cv+joint
bkrantz
Original Porsche 914 CVs are available again. I got them by special order through Pelican.
914werke
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Dec 3 2020, 08:12 PM) *
Original Porsche 914 CVs are available again. I got them by special order through Pelican.
Details?
pete000
Best news I have heard all day !!!
MM1
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Dec 3 2020, 11:12 PM) *

Great news - thank you, Sir!
MM1
QUOTE(pete000 @ Dec 3 2020, 11:10 PM) *

Regarding non-914 cv joints - since there's no machined recess for the gasket, wouldn't I need to use a sealant?

And doesn't that increase the risk of grease leakage/joint failure?
914_teener
QUOTE(MM1 @ Dec 4 2020, 07:31 AM) *

Regarding non-914 cv joints - since there's no machined recess for the gasket, wouldn't I need to use a sealant?

Leakage yes....failure probably not. It'll just splatter some grease up on the body.

Think of it as rust repllelant.

Like PMB states though....don't use the gaskets unless there is a recess for them.
Plenty of threads on this.
Olympic 914
I have used a glue hypo and put a small bead of RTV around the edge of the metal boot retainer.

You could also put a bead around the edge of the gasket area to lessen the grease thrown up on the body.
MM1
QUOTE(914_teener @ Dec 4 2020, 11:26 AM) *

QUOTE(MM1 @ Dec 4 2020, 07:31 AM) *

Leakage yes....failure probably not. It'll just splatter some grease up on the body.

Think of it as rust repllelant. av-943.gif

Like PMB states though....don't use the gaskets unless there is a recess for them.
Plenty of threads on this.
pray.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(914werke @ Dec 4 2020, 01:06 AM) *

Details?

@bkrantz

Have you assembled yet & did they fit 914/4 axle stubs?

I know there was some go around a while back where @bbrock ordered some from Sunset Porsche and the splines are for 914/6 axle stubs.
914werke
agree.gif & those (Jbugs link) still wont work until machined as they havent the larger reliefs for locating roll pins regardless of the gasket
bbrock
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Dec 3 2020, 09:12 PM) *

Have you tried putting them on your axles yet? Don't get excited until you do. A couple of us have been down this road. mad.gif All of the Porsche CV joints and complete axles are the 914/6 spline count (don't remember what that is). If you buy a complete axle assembly at their criminally high price, you'll have no problem bolting them on. But if you do like I did and buy a set of just cv joints thinking they will slide onto your 914/4 axles, be prepared for disappointment.
bbrock
And just a little more background that I've deduced from trying to figure this out. Many years ago, Porsche superseded the part number for 914/4 axle assemblies to the 914/6 # and discontinued the 914/4 cv joint. For years we wondered why Porsche offered complete axle assemblies but not just the joints. About 2 years ago some genius apparently decided to offer just the joints without researching why they were discontinued so now when you search on the 914/4 cv joint part #, you get a hit and a pretty reasonable price for the joints. You get all excited until they arrive and you try to slip them on your axles. sad.gif .
MM1
QUOTE(914werke @ Dec 4 2020, 01:54 PM) *

agree.gif & those (Jbugs link) still wont work until machined as they havent the larger reliefs for locating roll pins regardless of the gasket

Thank you for clearing that up, Rich.
MM1
QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 4 2020, 02:38 PM) *

And just a little more background that I've deduced from trying to figure this out. Many years ago, Porsche superseded the part number for 914/4 axle assemblies to the 914/6 # and discontinued the 914/4 cv joint. For years we wondered why Porsche offered complete axle assemblies but not just the joints. About 2 years ago some genius apparently decided to offer just the joints without researching why they were discontinued so now when you search on the 914/4 cv joint part #, you get a hit and a pretty reasonable price for the joints. You get all excited until they arrive and you try to slip them on your axles. sad.gif .

Critical stuff @bbrock - thanks . . .Pelican should be able to clarify this before one purchases - right? Let's see if someone tries them . . .
bkrantz
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Dec 4 2020, 09:52 AM) *

QUOTE(914werke @ Dec 4 2020, 01:06 AM) *

Details?

@bkrantz

Have you assembled yet & did they fit 914/4 axle stubs?

I know there was some go around a while back where @bbrock ordered some from Sunset Porsche and the splines are for 914/6 axle stubs.

Not yet. I have been out of town too much but will check next week.
MM1
Yay! popcorn[1].gif
bbrock
Pinging @76-914 here. He's the one who first discovered the spline problem with the Porsche joints.
76-914
It's just as you stated earlier, Brock. They won't match up to your half shafts splines if your car is a 4 banger. They're splines are for the -6 CV's. I'd get the CV's from PMB coming in January. It wouldn't matter one iota if you used 6 bolts instead of 4 bolts and 2 roll pins. beerchug.gif
914werke
QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 4 2020, 09:21 PM) *
It wouldn't matter one iota if you used 6 bolts instead of 4 bolts and 2 roll pins. beerchug.gif
Only there is no provision on the stub axle's or output flanges for 6 bolts... shades.gif
MM1
QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 5 2020, 12:21 AM) *

It's just as you stated earlier, Brock. They won't match up to your half shafts splines if your car is a 4 banger. They're splines are for the -6 CV's. I'd get the CV's from PMB coming in January. It wouldn't matter one iota if you used 6 bolts instead of 4 bolts and 2 roll pins. beerchug.gif

What's the word on cv's from PMB coming in January?

How will they be different from the GKN/Loebro machined for gasket version that Eric sells now?
bbrock
QUOTE(MM1 @ Dec 5 2020, 10:23 AM) *

How will they be different from the GKN/Loebro machined for gasket version that Eric sells now?

@Eric_Shea
I'm interested in this too. I have a pair that have a bit of wear that I'd rather use than machined Type1 joints, but if there is something better, I might hold off repacking this pair that I was planning to do tomorrow.
bkrantz
QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 4 2020, 10:21 PM) *

I am still not home to confirm, but here is the listing at Pelican. They specify this CV is for the 914-4.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/9143...&DID=168624
bbrock
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Dec 5 2020, 07:34 PM) *

I am still not home to confirm, but here is the listing at Pelican. They specify this CV is for the 914-4.

Well that's interesting. Keeping fingers crossed for what you find. popcorn[1].gif
MM1
Is it ok to use lubro-moly cv grease for the front wheel bearings?

Or do you all prefer something else?
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 5 2020, 04:52 PM) *

@Eric_Shea
I'm interested in this too. I have a pair that have a bit of wear that I'd rather use than machined Type1 joints, but if there is something better, I might hold off repacking this pair that I was planning to do tomorrow.

Same as we've been selling (GKN/Loebro ONLY) just having the next batch machined for the roll pins and gaskets. Exact same specs as the original. Same spline count. Same ball. Same cage. Same manufacturer. Remember... el Cheapo aftermarket stuff hyper-extends and cracks cages. Don't think you'll ever be in that situation? Ever roll out of a sharp driveway apron and lay on the gas to get into traffic? wink.gif
MM1
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 9 2020, 11:26 AM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 5 2020, 04:52 PM) *

@Eric_Shea

Same as we've been selling (GKN/Loebro ONLY) just having the next batch machined for the roll pins and gaskets. Exact same specs as the original. Same spline count. Same ball. Same cage. Same manufacturer. Remember... el Cheapo aftermarket stuff hyper-extends and cracks cages. Don't think you'll ever be in that situation? Ever roll out of a sharp driveway apron and lay on the gas to get into traffic? wink.gif

Thanks, Eric - I need one!
bkrantz
QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 5 2020, 09:37 PM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Dec 5 2020, 07:34 PM) *

Well that's interesting. Keeping fingers crossed for what you find. popcorn[1].gif

Not good news. Although the boxes are marked with 914-4 and part number 914 332 029 03 (which should be correct for 914-4) the CV inner has 25 splines, not the required 33 splines. I contacted Pelican and they are checking with the supplier (which was supposed to be Porsche). The CVs I got are GKN.
914werke
headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif
bbrock
What's irritating is that by this point Porsche should be aware of the problem and correct it. We know of at least two prior sets that came from Porsche and were returned for the same reason. mad.gif headbang.gif
MM1
QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 10 2020, 10:36 PM) *

What's irritating is that by this point Porsche should be aware of the problem and correct it. We know of at least two prior sets that came from Porsche and were returned for the same reason. mad.gif headbang.gif

Grrrrrr mad.gif
falcor75
Its a pity Porsche almost tripled the price on the complete driveshafts since they were announced, I think they were $300 or similar at first, apprently they sold too well because now its closer to 900 each. sad.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 10 2020, 10:36 PM) *

@bbrock

av-943.gif As if they care. Same for Pelican.

For anyone not aware, Pelican was sold serveral years back to ECS Tuning, LLC. with a varied history. So Pelican isn't the old Pelican that some us used to know and love.

https://jalopnik.com/spying-on-employees-sc...ng-a-1827474482

I'll get my CV parts from PMB - I know Eric cares and works to serve the 914 community!

At this stage in the game, I'd be surprised if anyone in the Porsche Classic supply chain even knows what a CV joint is, what the spline count is, or why it matters.

Service parts for vintage cars as old as ours are probably managed for Porsche by contract relationship with 3rd party. At best, maybe, by someone within Porsche that might have minimal knowlege of automobiles but is good at supply chain managment, inventory managment, and obtaining cost reductions out of the supply base. wacko.gif

Back when most OEM's actually sold manual transmissions, I kid you not, I'm aware of a case where the design & release engineer for the manual transmission shift levers could not even drive a manual transmission vehicle. headbang.gif. I know becuase I finally tauaght her how to drive a manual. rolleyes.gif

It's that bad!
ThePaintedMan
Ugh... that's news to me. And ECS Tuning is the WORST.

bbrock
True, but they do seem able to understand money. You'd think having a part that is losing money because of returns and eating shipping costs would be something they would like to avoid. There was a time when Porsche actually cared about the reputation of their brand but those days are long gone.

+1 on the inflated price of the axle assemblies. It's hard to imagine a justification for it. They can still retail the joints for ~$150. There's only a splined rod, a couple cone washers and circlips and a little grease left for a full assembly. BTW, they also jacked the price on the misrepresented CV joints. When I first posted about them being listed as available, Sunset listed them at $73.64. A couple months later I went to order and found them at $128.

The next set will come from Eric. Like you said, he cares so you know you'll get the right parts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.