Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My first 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
maj75
I’m a retired guy, living in South Florida and Utah. I’ve been into cars all my life. Owned just about every major make of car at some point. I’ve owned a 951, 986, 996 and currently a 991S. My first Porsche experience was at age 15 in an Orange ‘71 914.

Recently, I’ve been looking for a 914 to ad to the garage. Everything I have seen for sale around here was junk. Until yesterday. I bought a ‘71 Orange 914. Serial # 4712912052. Has 42000 miles and the story I got was that the car been off the road since the early ‘80s. Sold in California and relocated to Arizona. Stored inside awaiting a restoration that never happened. Sold to a collector in So.Fla. The paint is original and is pretty good condition. A couple of touch up spots and a my detail guy will have the paint looking nice. Needs an interior refresh as would be expected for a desert car. The interior is all original and not cut up or modified. A few spots of surface rust in the front and rear trunks, but easy touch up. The electrics were confirmed operational when we installed a battery. The motor is all original but has not been started since the early 80s. It does turn over. The gas tank is missing but it makes confirming no rust in that compartment easy. Still has the plastic clips to hold the Targa top secure in the trunk. It has a set of Riviera mags on it. I will be replacing them with the correct Padrini wheels. The motor is coming out for a reseal and refresh. New interior, too. Plan is to get it on the road and then see where it wants to go. I generally like to keep my cars fairly original, so I’m trying to resist the call of an air cooled flat six.

Will post pictures of the progress.
jaredmcginness
Welcome to 914world! Really cool that you got the same year, and color as your first!

Post some photos. We love photos.
SKL1
Just saw this over at rennlist as well though the 914 forum there is nearly dead...

Welcome to the club from a 50 year member... (and don't let anyone tell you otherwise, '71's are the best!! smile.gif )
Cairo94507
welcome.png Congratulations on your 914 purchase. Of course.....it didn't happen without pictures.

42K miles? These cars only had a 5 digit odometer from the factory so when they hit 99,999 they rolled over to 0. A lot of these cars have been advertised over the years with "only" xx,xxx original miles. Your car may be a true extremely low mileage car, but the truth will reveal itself by overall condition. A super low mileage car should still look like it just left the factory and was not driven a lot. Steering wheel, pedal pads, seats, etc. beerchug.gif

Regardless of the mileage, if it is a complete car you are ahead of the game. Enjoy and take advantage of the outstanding people here. first.gif
mepstein
welcome.png
Frankvw
Great you found what you were looking for, and in a good condition as well, that makes and more easy start to build your 914 up again. Yes, we love some pictures.
PS: after a long standstill you might want to include brake/fuel lines on the to-do list !
StarBear
Hurray and welcome!
JOEPROPER
welcome.png Pictures... popcorn[1].gif
maj75
Here are pictures I got today. Although Orange is the original color, the exterior has been painted. Otherwise just as I thought.

Click to view attachment
maj75
MoreClick to view attachment
maj75
Click to view attachment
maj75
Click to view attachment
maj75
More pics.
maj75
More
maj75
maj75
maj75
AnotherClick to view attachment
maj75
AnotherClick to view attachment
maj75
I guess that’s all the pictures I can upload. No clue how to resize them.
ctc911ctc
That car prit-near purrrrfect!
Jamie
QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Dec 8 2020, 03:00 PM) *

That car prit-near purrrrfect!

the missing photos of the longs and hell hole will really tell the condition, but so far this car looks great! piratenanner.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 6 2020, 03:05 AM) *

welcome.png Congratulations on your 914 purchase. Of course.....it didn't happen without pictures.

42K miles? These cars only had a 5 digit odometer from the factory so when they hit 99,999 they rolled over to 0. A lot of these cars have been advertised over the years with "only" xx,xxx original miles. Your car may be a true extremely low mileage car, but the truth will reveal itself by overall condition. A super low mileage car should still look like it just left the factory and was not driven a lot. Steering wheel, pedal pads, seats, etc. beerchug.gif

Regardless of the mileage, if it is a complete car you are ahead of the game. Enjoy and take advantage of the outstanding people here. first.gif

agree.gif
If cheap enough looks like a good car but as mentioned I tend to think its not a 42k miles car due to wear on the drivers seat,but certainly a good foundation for a resto,good luck.
MM1
welcome.png Best of luck on your journey! You'll find the best "tour guides" here . . .
Beeliner
Your passenger seat makes me think you have a very late 1970 that had a birth date change before sale... (Who cares? Nobody here...) confused24.gif

Nice ride!! Congratulations...

(Check the age of tires.... Don't use old rubbers)

P driving.gif
djway
QUOTE(maj75 @ Dec 8 2020, 02:41 PM) *

Here are pictures I got today. Although Orange is the original color, the exterior has been painted. Otherwise just as I thought.

Click to view attachment

Nice little motor there smile.gif
racer914
welcome.png
maj75
Click to view attachment

Engine out, looks as good as advertised in here.
maj75
Engine and transmission are out. I’d post pictures but can’t. This site is awesome but I can’t figure out how people have threads with a million pictures and I can’t post any more. I’ve never had this issue with any other site.

Anyway, by chance I went to a local VW shop looking for recommendations for engine work for my type IV. Sitting on the floor were several engines. One of them was a complete 911SC dropout. I spoke to the owner and asked him about the motor. He said he got it to install in VW bus, but the bus got sold before he started the project. He got a 914 do do the swap, but sold the 914. I told him he would get his chance to do the swap.

So I’m jumping into the deep end of the 914-6 pool. I don’t want to do a GT conversion, just a narrow body 914-6. I need a flywheel to mate the 3.0 to a 901, Oil tank and lines, mounts and engine compartment tin.

The 911 motor has the stock fuel injection set-up but I’m thinking about carbs unless there is a compelling reason to retain the CIS.
djway
If you post the pictures from your phone usually gives you the option of picture size. Choose one of the smaller ones and you can get a lot of pictures in. I haven’t figured it out on my computer yet. Knowing many people with carbs and fuel injection I would say fuel injection. Unless you want to spend a lot of time under the hood trying to balance those carbs.
maj75
QUOTE(Beeliner @ Dec 9 2020, 01:07 PM) *

Your passenger seat makes me think you have a very late 1970 that had a birth date change before sale... (Who cares? Nobody here...) confused24.gif

Nice ride!! Congratulations...

(Check the age of tires.... Don't use old rubbers)

P driving.gif

Pretty sure the serial number is for a ‘71. Don’t know why you would think it’s a “late ‘70”
maj75
QUOTE(djway @ Jan 8 2021, 03:18 PM) *

If you post the pictures from your phone usually gives you the option of picture size. Choose one of the smaller ones and you can get a lot of pictures in. I haven’t figured it out on my computer yet. Knowing many people with carbs and fuel injection I would say fuel injection. Unless you want to spend a lot of time under the hood trying to balance those carbs.

I’ve tried emailing them to my phone and posting from there, but it doesn’t give me that option. All my photos are posted over on Rennlist without a problem.

In my experience, and I’m old, old FI is less reliable than old carbs. Carbs can be bought new, good luck with a “new” CIS. Carbs can be rebuilt much cheaper and easier than the CIS. Since the 914/6 wasn’t FI, I’d kind of like to keep the factory look. From my limited research, the CIS doesn’t fit well with the factory latches and engine cover.

There are several local tuners experienced with Porsche carbed flat sixes so I’m not overly concerned about tuning. From what I know, the carbs don’t require constant fiddling. Once they are properly set-up, they will work for a long time.
maj75
QUOTE(porschetub @ Dec 9 2020, 12:17 AM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 6 2020, 03:05 AM) *

agree.gif
If cheap enough looks like a good car but as mentioned I tend to think its not a 42k miles car due to wear on the drivers seat,but certainly a good foundation for a resto,good luck.

Appreciate your thoughts but I have the paperwork verifying low miles and it isn’t wear it is desert air drying out everything. The vinyl is hard and brittle. It breaks when you put any pressure on it. The trade off for having a solid body.
krazykonrad
welcome.png You've come to the right place.

Konrad
930cabman
QUOTE(maj75 @ Jan 8 2021, 03:38 PM) *

I’ve tried emailing them to my phone and posting from there, but it doesn’t give me that option. All my photos are posted over on Rennlist without a problem.

In my experience, and I’m old, old FI is less reliable than old carbs. Carbs can be bought new, good luck with a “new” CIS. Carbs can be rebuilt much cheaper and easier than the CIS. Since the 914/6 wasn’t FI, I’d kind of like to keep the factory look. From my limited research, the CIS doesn’t fit well with the factory latches and engine cover.

There are several local tuners experienced with Porsche carbed flat sixes so I’m not overly concerned about tuning. From what I know, the carbs don’t require constant fiddling. Once they are properly set-up, they will work for a long time.

Welcome aboard, you will find the folks here very helpful.

I'm an old guy too, not retired (yet) but close and also have 50 or so years of several 356's, 911's, Alfa spider's, ... and my first 914. The example in my garage is a rustout, but I was looking for a project and having fun with fabricating/fitting/welding new 18 gauge metal. What are your plans for an engine?
maj75
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jan 8 2021, 06:36 PM) *

QUOTE(maj75 @ Jan 8 2021, 03:38 PM) *

Welcome aboard, you will find the folks here very helpful.

I'm an old guy too, not retired (yet) but close and also have 50 or so years of several 356's, 911's, Alfa spider's, ... and my first 914. The example in my garage is a rustout, but I was looking for a project and having fun with fabricating/fitting/welding new 18 gauge metal. What are your plans for an engine?

I have a 911SC motor lined up. It’s a complete drop-out with the 911 motor mounts and tin. Has the factory CIS injection system. I’m considering the options for induction, carb or factory FI.
maj75
Hell hole area, cleaned up.
maj75
All my pictures of the car can be seen in this thread.

https://rennlist.com/forums/914-914-6-forum...-914-today.html
maj75
Picture of the hell hole.
maj75
Picture of what’s going into the engine compartment biggrin.gif

3.0 911 motor, complete with CIS system. (Since I can’t post more than 1 damn picture a day headbang.gif )
messick
QUOTE(maj75 @ Jan 8 2021, 11:55 AM) *

Engine and transmission are out. I’d post pictures but can’t. This site is awesome but I can’t figure out how people have threads with a million pictures and I can’t post any more. I’ve never had this issue with any other site.

You need to host the images somewhere else. The software 914World is based on comes from a time where allowing unlimited images might cost you real money.

I use Imgur. That link goes to a help page that can get you started.
windforfun
This reminds me of my first 914. Congrats. As far as the restoration goes, just remember that Rome wasn't built in a day. It was built in two days. 8^)
maj75
QUOTE(messick @ Jan 26 2021, 07:26 PM) *

You need to host the images somewhere else. The software 914World is based on comes from a time where allowing unlimited images might cost you real money.

I used Photobucket... free hosting until it’s wasn’t and All your pictures were in PB jail...
bbrock
QUOTE(maj75 @ Jan 26 2021, 06:35 PM) *

QUOTE(messick @ Jan 26 2021, 07:26 PM) *

I used Photobucket... free hosting until it’s wasn’t and All your pictures were in PB jail...

It's just a total size limit. I use software to export all the pictures I post to a reduced size (~800 x 400 pixels or so) and can get quite a few images uploaded in a single post. I don't remember what the post limit is, but if you don't reduce your photos before posting, a single image can easily eat up the limit.
maj75
I have the 3l 911 motor and I’m looking at transmission options. The cost to “hot rod” the 3l, and the associated cost for a stronger Porsche transmission are making me re-think the project.

I can sell the 3l for stupid money, more than enough to pay for a crate LS motor. The Renegade kit allows me to use the great 6 speed Boxster S transmission. Seems a more cost effective path for a Hot Rod 914.

Thoughts?
930cabman
I have made the same decision, after looking at this 2.7 kicking around for awhile and considering different 4 cyl builds, I took the jump. Ordered a new oil tank and engine tin from MB911, looking at carbs, engine mounts, exhaust and getting ready to grab my ankles when I hear back from my local engine builder. My 2.7 was bought disassembled and other than several head studs broken, I have no idea of the condition.

My gut is telling me a /6 (2.7) in near stock form will be plenty to push my 914 along.
forrestkhaag
Amen on the 71 comment - I've had two 71's / totaled the first one in the early 70 at freeway speed and driving the other... at freeway speed.....

Cheers
beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.