Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Caliper
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shane
I’m rebuild my front calipers and the pistons and cylinders look real nice but the tops of the pistons have a Little bit of rust on them. Has anyone blasted them and coated them with anything? Thanks
mepstein
Eric shows what to do on his PMB site.
bbrock
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 4 2020, 07:16 PM) *

agree.gif The process he describes is to clean them in a vibratory tumbler and paint the tops with gray high temperature paint.

IPB Image

IPB Image
shane
QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 5 2020, 07:01 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 4 2020, 07:16 PM) *

agree.gif The process he describes is to clean them in a vibratory tumbler and paint the tops with gray high temperature paint.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Thanks for the reply! Was thinking about a light coat of powder coat just to help protect the surface from future rust but read somewhere you shouldn’t powder coat any surface that touches the brake pads. I’m thinking zinc chromate was the original finish? I could do that but it’s a bit more work and time any thoughts? Thanks
mepstein
Normal powder coat melts at 350 ish so heat might be a factor. Eric has done 10's of thousands so I follow his advise exactly or just have him do it.
bbrock
QUOTE(shane @ Dec 5 2020, 08:29 AM) *

Thanks for the reply! Was thinking about a light coat of powder coat just to help protect the surface from future rust but read somewhere you shouldn’t powder coat any surface that touches the brake pads. I’m thinking zinc chromate was the original finish? I could do that but it’s a bit more work and time any thoughts? Thanks

Read Eric's how-to but this is supposed to replicate the original finish (no plating, high temperature gray paint on the tops). The housings were yellow zinc plated and that helps lubricate the pistons as they slide through the bores.

The how-to is a must read for rebuilding calipers: https://www.pmbperformance.com/brakehowto.html

and also watching Eric's excellent video on rebuilding rear calipers (it helps for understanding the instructions for the fronts too):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm_DnizKOZM

shane
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 5 2020, 08:52 AM) *

Normal powder coat melts at 350 ish so heat might be a factor. Eric has done 10's of thousands so I follow his advise exactly or just have him do it.

Sure makes sense with the powder coat being a bit maybe possible not high temp enough. High temp paint is easy and I can still bake it a bit in a powder coat oven at least. Thanks for the advice! aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.