Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Repair front bumper mounts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Stuckon914
I was planning on mounting my 914 on a rotisserie using the bumper mounts but the front ones are completed rusted. I’m surprised the bumper was holding on.
Obviously other ways to mount it but how do you replace the mounts?
bbrock
Need some pics before we can give much specific advice, but here is where my repair of that area starts in my build thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2542429

This drawing might also help:
IPB Image
live free & drive
Tangerine Racing has the sheet metal replacement (down the page):

http://www.tangerineracing.com/otherproducts.htm

Stuckon914
QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 5 2020, 11:25 PM) *

Need some pics before we can give much specific advice, but here is where my repair of that area starts in my build thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2542429

This drawing might also help:
IPB Image

Very helpful. I’ll get some pictures after work. The front of my brackets are completely gone but otherwise look similar to yours.
How did you work inside the frame to cut and clean the bracket?
Montreal914
@bbrock 's thread was my inspiration when I dove into this a couple of months ago. smilie_pokal.gif
I wish I had known these were available from Chris. rolleyes.gif

I did the body repair piece and the angled bracket using my trusted hack saw, hammer, vise, and little MIG welder. smile.gif

I feel a little safer now.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
BillC
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Dec 6 2020, 01:49 PM) *

I did the body repair piece and the angled bracket using my trusted hack saw, hammer, vise, and little MIG welder. smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Very nice! Well done.
Stuckon914
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Dec 6 2020, 01:49 PM) *

@bbrock 's thread was my inspiration when I dove into this a couple of months ago. smilie_pokal.gif
I wish I had known these were available from Chris. rolleyes.gif

I feel a little safer now.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

That is about the amount of rust I will need to cut out. Will drop the front suspension and wheels first.
Stuckon914
Need to cut to clean
Montreal914
Done with suspension on and wheel removed.

Here is what the inner wheel metal looked like once separated from the bracket (done on the bench to see the condition).

Click to view attachment

You are actually in the headlight box at this point, but its manageable as far as access. The cutting out can be a pain if you have limited tools like I do.

Seen here is the upper part of the inner fender repair piece.

Click to view attachment

Good luck! smash.gif smile.gif

Stuckon914
Really helpful.
930cabman
QUOTE(Stuckon914 @ Dec 6 2020, 05:40 PM) *

Really helpful.

Thank you for posting, I am currently in the same boat. Working through a rusted hulk and wanting to get this tub on the rotisserie, but have a concern regarding the whole process. This site rocks!!
Stuckon914
I am going to modify my rostisseire plans and initially use it more as a lift so I can work on it with a solid frame below. I am welding a frame of 2 inch square tubing to hold the frame solid from underneath.
What are your plans
bbrock
QUOTE(Stuckon914 @ Dec 8 2020, 07:44 PM) *

I am going to modify my rostisseire plans and initially use it more as a lift so I can work on it with a solid frame below. I am welding a frame of 2 inch square tubing to hold the frame solid from underneath.
What are your plans

popcorn[1].gif
930cabman
QUOTE(Stuckon914 @ Dec 8 2020, 09:44 PM) *

What are your plans

I like the chassis mount/rotisserie the chaps are using at RD. I am considering building one, but am having a hard time justifying the time/energy for one restoration. I could start a 914 restoration company or sell/rent the frame KD for the next guy/gal
Stuckon914
Similar to this, I have two parallel 2 inch square tubes running the length of the car closer to the sides. Then three shorter pieces running side side. The frame will be held on from the bottom by 6 or more touchpoints. Donuts and suspension areas.
I have 1 inch tubing bracing the cabin, front and rear trunk to car controlling flex.
Biggest challenge has been measuring and comparing to the body specs, reallly hard to know what they use as reference points.
Half of the reference points are complete guesses. The rotisserie lower frame probably weighs the same as the car.
Once car is more solid I can use it more as a true rotisserie.
I used 3 ton engine stands as the base of the rotisserie and added the yoke from engine stands.
Montreal914
Pantera? smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.