Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: porsche 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dlindzey
what are the tips for getting more candle power out of stock 914 head lights or what are the progressive steps to adding more lights. is there a favored solution for better night vision on the road? better brands, mounting locations etc
dlindzey
what are the tips for getting more candle power out of stock 914 head lights or what are the progressive steps to adding more lights. is there a favored solution for better night vision on the road? better brands, mounting locations etc
Bleyseng
Get the LED setup from 914Rubber and make sure to use relays so the power runs thru the relays and not the headlight switch so it won't ever burn out.
mepstein
914 headlights are the same 7" size as Jeeps. Truck-lite led's are expensive but awesome. I put them in my 914 a couple years ago and couldn't believe the difference on my rural roads. They have the proper cut off so you don't blind oncoming traffic but they turn night into day. They run cool and don't tax the 914 electric system or wires as much as stock headlights. Ad Spoke Werks brake lights for a great combo.
ctc911ctc
I went to the 914 rubber site for the LED bulbs - my lights are way too dim and the 7" LED lites for the Jeeps are way too much $$$$$

I want to buy the 914Rubber LEDs, but was confused by this:

Set of the new plug and play LED bulbs that will fit the stock headlamp housings with very little modification required to install. If you have fog lights put enough load on the circuit to trip the switch between high and low beams while the fog lights are on.

Something is missing from that sentence..........hhhhhmmmmm
Cairo94507
I bought the GE Nighthawk LED headlights on Amazon. They seem to always have good deals on them. Simple plug and play and so much more light than stock you will think the stock headlights were nothing but running lights. I just did a quick search and could not find them at the moment on Amazon. I did find one seller on eBay but his price is totally crazy- I think I paid less than $200 delivered for 2 on Amazon as they had a great deal at the time. Here is the eBay link just so you see the product: https://www.ebay.com/i/143742049768?chn=ps&...AiABEgKwFfD_BwE

I agree with Mark, check out Spoke's LED conversions for the tail/brake/turn signals and reverse lights. For the front his side marker LEDs and turn signal LEDs are the ticket. You really need his complete set up. He is also now offering LED fog light conversions too. beerchug.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 8 2020, 07:00 PM) *

I bought the GE Nighthawk LED headlights on Amazon. They seem to always have good deals on them. Simple plug and play and so much more light than stock you will think the stock headlights were nothing but running lights. I just did a quick search and could not find them at the moment on Amazon. I did find one seller on eBay but his price is totally crazy- I think I paid less than $200 delivered for 2 on Amazon as they had a great deal at the time. Here is the eBay link just so you see the product: https://www.ebay.com/i/143742049768?chn=ps&...AiABEgKwFfD_BwE

I agree with Mark, check out Spoke's LED conversions for the tail/brake/turn signals and reverse lights. For the front his side marker LEDs and turn signal LEDs are the ticket. You really need his complete set up. He is also now offering LED fog light conversions too. beerchug.gif

I also have the nighthawks. There are deals from time to time but they are worth the $175 each price. Truly plug and play. They are supposed to last 50 thousand hours so it should be a one time purchase. I bought a second set and gave them to my dad for his Jeep Wrangler and he loves them as well.
BillC
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 8 2020, 07:54 PM) *

I also have the nighthawks. There are deals from time to time but they are worth the $175 each price. Truly plug and play. They are supposed to last 50 thousand hours so it should be a one time purchase. I bought a second set and gave them to my dad for his Jeep Wrangler and he loves them as well.

I also put the nighthawks on my previous 914. Very nice lights -- bright, clear and plenty of reach/throw. I'd love to get another set for my current 914, but I can't find any for sale at a reasonable price. But, at the rate I'm going on the car, I have plenty of time to find a pair before it's back on the road....
Jamie
I don't remember the LED headlight brand that was demonstrated at last Okteenerfest, but I bought those because of the well controlled beam, and the price. Seems it had something to do with antique something, need some memory help here guys! hissyfit.gif They were plug and play, and really work great.
mepstein
QUOTE(BillC @ Dec 8 2020, 09:29 PM) *

I also put the nighthawks on my previous 914. Very nice lights -- bright, clear and plenty of reach/throw. I'd love to get another set for my current 914, but I can't find any for sale at a reasonable price. But, at the rate I'm going on the car, I have plenty of time to find a pair before it's back on the road....

Amazon has many shopping logarithms. So sometimes looking up the same product will result in different pricing.
BillC
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 8 2020, 10:06 PM) *

QUOTE(BillC @ Dec 8 2020, 09:29 PM) *

Amazon has many shopping logarithms. So sometimes looking up the same product will result in different pricing.

The genuine GE Nighthawk LEDs appear to be out of production. Amazon shows they have no idea when the lights will be back in stock (and have been since June, when I last looked). There are a few sellers on ebay that have them, like the one Cairo94507 found, but not sure I want to buy out-of-production electronics with (probably) no warranty.
mepstein
Visit a Jeep forum and see what they are using. Same 7" size.
horizontally-opposed
Been looking at these: https://vintagecarleds.com

Has anyone tried them?

Not in the cards now, as it's tough to see spending $300-500 on better headlights at a time when I just don't drive my 914 at night all that often, but I'll likely look at these when the time comes as I'm a glutton for period looks. We all have our vices, I supposeā€¦
MM1
A forum member recently told me that one should wire a relay into the headlight and fog light circuits in order to avoid burning up the "weak" oem switches . . .did you all do this already?

If so, what relays did you use?
djway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNZT6QqHHOo
Good video on what to look for
bbrock
The GE Nighthawk was just a rebranded Truck-lite from what I've been able to figure out. Truck-lite was the first DOT approved aftermarket integrated LED headlight assembly and has been sold through a few brands. There are better LED headlights out there but if you think Truck-lite is expensive, you ain't seen nothin' yikes.gif

I have Truck-lites and although I haven't driven with them yet, can vouch for their brightness. I'll be honest that after a lot of research on after market LED headlights, I'm very leary of mix-and-match LED bulbs and housings. At a minimum, I would want to see examples of beam patterns to make sure they throw light where they should without blinding oncoming traffic.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(MM1 @ Dec 9 2020, 11:30 AM) *

A forum member recently told me that one should wire a relay into the headlight and fog light circuits in order to avoid burning up the "weak" oem switches . . .did you all do this already?

If so, what relays did you use?

I did this years ago when I wanted to put brighter halogen bulbs into my headlights. There are kits available that provide all the wiring, and are simple.

Zim's 911 Headlight relay kit.

You would have to run a long wire from the battery to the front of the car to use this, but it will work on a 914 quite well. It's what I used when I did mine.

But with the LED light kits, you get more light, and LESS current draw. They are just more efficient.

Clay
lierofox
If you wanna stick with standard bulbs: I upgraded from sealed beam to the Hella 002395801 Vision Plus ECE headlights for a while in my 914, they allow you to use modern H4 bulbs, and they put out decent brightness and a good light pattern with a set of Sylvania Silverstar Ultras.
yellowporky
https://vintagecarleds.com/shop/7-inch/vcm3...-headlight-kit/
I just ordered these for my x-mas present to myself.
I will report back when I get them installed
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.