Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Coil bracket
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JamesJ
Hello All,

I have a '74 1.8 car and I recently replaced my old black coil with a new Bosch blue coil. The new coil is a bit smaller in diameter than the black one and does not fit properly in the original coil bracket. The front side of the coil bracket is mounted with a bolt and the back side just hooks under a slot in the fan housing. I prefer not to relocate the coil bracket and have to run different lengths of wires to reach the coil in a new position. I am leaning toward an original look by having my factory coil bracket made smaller to fit the new coil, or place something between the coil and the bracket to create a tight fit that would withstand the heat from the coil but still appear original looking so as to not stand out. The car runs but is parked for now, so I just put a shop rag around the new coil temporarily until I figure out a solution that works.
What have other folks done? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Mike D.
I have done the same thing and used a thick piece of rubber, cut to width of the bracket.
bdstone914
@jamesj

I have a roll of some 1/16 x 1 cork/rubber gasket material with adhesive backing.
Two layers should work. I can include some with the other parts you ate getting.
914sgofast2
Cut a section or two out of an old bicycle tube and put it around the body of the new coil until it is big enough to hold tight in the coil bracket.
JamesJ
Thanks @Mike D. and @bdstone914 .
Sounds like a good option. I’ll take the gasket material.
JamesJ
QUOTE(914sgofast2 @ Dec 8 2020, 08:23 PM) *

Cut a section or two out of an old bicycle tube and put it around the body of the new coil until it is big enough to hold tight in the coil bracket.

Another good suggestion. Much appreciated.
Superhawk996
Anybody have a part number and/or source for this style of bracket that mounts coil to the fan shroud?

I know they are on VW bus but google really hasn't turned up anything for me other aftermarket brackets that aren't the same style. I guess the probable answer is to keep an eye on Samba and/or post a WTB looking for a used one.

BillC
A strip of 16ga aluminum makes a great shim -- place between coil and bracket -- and won't add any insulation around your coil, like rubber or cloth would.
914Sixer
Use the same piece of rubber that is used in the mount of the rear blower fan.
rhodyguy
100%. agree.gif perfect. The single outlet version fan piece.
djway
You can also get silicone sheet in various thickness'. It last longer than most of the rubbers available.
914sgofast2
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Dec 9 2020, 05:27 AM) *

Anybody have a part number and/or source for this style of bracket that mounts coil to the fan shroud?

I know they are on VW bus but google really hasn't turned up anything for me other aftermarket brackets that aren't the same style. I guess the probable answer is to keep an eye on Samba and/or post a WTB looking for a used one.

Those brackets were used on the VW Bay Window buses with Type 4 engines. From 1973 to 1979 I think. I have been looking for one on the Samba Want Ad site for a while.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.