Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: -6 Oil Pump Suggestions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Jetsetsurfshop
I've been get some parts together to start assembly of my 2.7 7R case engine and the oil pump needs to be bought.
The stock one looks ok and may work perfectly fine. I just don't want a problem both oiling and have to split the case to swap pumps.(or damage expense stuff)
The local Porsche dealer said the replacement pump is the 911-107-008-05. Some limited reading I can find on the web says that later pumps will fit too.
Any pros and cons that anyone is aware of doing the later pumps?
Thanks id advance beerchug.gif
mskala
Bruce Anderson's book showed all the pump variations up through the 80's and I think
had opinions of which one is best to use. I haven't used this info on my small engine,
but if nobody gives you enough info I can try to look it up when I get home.
mepstein
Glenn Yee at GT1 can rebuild, blueprint, modify or suggest an upgrade.
Luke M
I looked for a replacement oil pump for my 3.2 to 3.4 build. I looked at a few different pumps, 964, turbo, GT3.. After talking with a few guys over on Pelican they suggested that I have my stock 3.2 pump redone. I reached out to Glenn Yee Motorsports and had them redo my 3.2 pump. Look them up.

https://www.glennyeemotorsports.com/gt1_oilpumps.html

Under $500.00 with shipping to and from.
Jetsetsurfshop
It's a magnesium housing and from what I read its not the preferred one for my application.
I'm sure Glenn Yee is the man at modifying these pumps. If i was doing a street car he'd already have it.
I've heard and seen from Bruce's book that the 964 pump will work and so will the 996 pump. I think the 996 might be overkill.
Wanted to hear some personal experience. See what racers have done in the past.
driving.gif
stownsen914
The later pumps are generally stronger physically and higher capacity. Some extra on the pressure side, and the 964/996 pumps, lots of extra on the scavenge side. Extra scavenge is always good, but it won't improve your oil pressure. Re: the pressure side, it's unclear to me even for a track/race engine why an early motor needs any more pressure side capacity than an early pump provides. If you are happy with your oil pressure, the engine should be getting what it needs.

Do keep in mind that these pumps are all old at this point. They don't tend to wear quickly unless exposed to debris, but it's worth having it gone through by someone who knows what to check. Oil pump rebuilding services like the one mentioned above can do that.
brant
It’s a combination of pressure and volume

Too much pressure through a front cooler causes the oil to move through the cooler too fast for maximum efficiency

I had a long conversation with the engineers at fluidyne
I run a brand new 3.2 pump in my 2.0/6
stownsen914
Yeah that's an interesting point about flow through a cooler and the impact on cooling efficiency. I don't have a opinion on that, but from the arguments I've seen, it appears that there isn't exactly consensus on it.

More scavenging is generally considered a good thing. (Note that on 911 motors, auxiliary coolers are in the scavenge circuit.) For what it's worth, Porsche has put large pumps (with large scavenge sections) on its racecars and the later model street cars too, so there's that to consider.

Meanwhile, on my 2.7 race motor, I have a standard early mag pump and always got 70-75 psi.
Jetsetsurfshop
I've done some more research and found some more info that I wasn't aware of.
911-107-008-05 will still fit without mods to my 2.7 case. (i think) The 964-107-001-14 and the 996-107-007-94 will require me to make room and get a shorter intermediate shaft.
The 911 and the 964 pump supposedly produce about the same volume on the pressure side but the 964 has a larger/better scavenge side.
Since a lot of this is witch craft and hearsay I wanted to hear from racers what they had experienced first hand. If you all have go though a long sweeper and didn't see a loss of pressure then that's where I wasn't to be too. I've always ran an Accusump and a tuna can on my -4 and never had an issue.
I'm thinking the 964 is what I'll go with. Time to grind out some case material and try to make a light car then Brant. biggrin.gif
Jetsetsurfshop
Found this image on clearancing. No oil pump associated with this picture so I'm not sure I'll have to do this much. driving.gif
Charles Freeborn
I've spoken briefly on this topic with a local guru. Can't remember exactly what he recommended, but as I recall it's a variation of a 3.2 pump. I need to chat him up anyway on other plans (building my 2.7 into a RS spec MFI 2.8) so I'll see if I can get his attention. Likely won't be until after the 1st.
-C
stownsen914
Another thing to keep in mind is that with a dry sump motor like the 911 you should never see a drop in oil pressure on a long sweeper like what happens with a wet sump motor like a type 4. With the oil pickup in the oil tank like a 911, you have a better, constant supply of oil than you get with a wet sump arrangement, and no need for an Accusump. In a 911 a bigger pump will give you increased oil volume/pressure and more complete scavenging. Some will say it's not necessary on the early motors, but I've never heard anyone say there is a downside to a larger pump.
sixnotfour
Mag case wont need that much work
campbellcj
My current 2.7 has a 930 or 964 P/N pump which has been working great; I'd have to look up which exact one ended up in there. Apparently a prior pump in this engine, prob the original factory one, actually had a cracked housing. Unsure if an assembly boo-boo or metallurgy/casting issue or what. I don't have that pump to inspect unfortunately.
Jetsetsurfshop
I bought a 964 pump and will have to do some modification to just rib. It just arrived so I have yet to make it fit. Looks like I'll be making quite a mess but i'm excited for the challenge.
One of you mentioned my worries on a drop of oil pressure. My only racing experience has been with a -4 and an accusump. I truly forgot that's not the case with a dry sump engine. I really only got the upgraded pump to scavenge all oil from the case so there is no oil slushing around in there stealing HP.
This is going to be quite a learning experience. Its been so long in the making that I just want to see it with the chains hanging out the sides. That would be enough for me till the pistons/cylinders and heads arrive! So crazy.
wndsrfr
Man, you are going to LOVE that /6!! Git 'er done & hit the track....
Next realize that the transmission becomes a consumable....be sure to source a spare, with LSD/Quaife & consider gearing it with a "S"4th & "Z" 5th..
davep
Looking at the oil system as a whole, if you are modifying from a stock 2.0 to something with more performance, how do you match various components? For instance, if you upgrade the oil pump to have more flow then when do you need to use a non-original oil cooler with the smaller tube and threaded fitting?
Similarly, I also have a choice of the 69-71 911S oil console with the external thermostat in a close loop, and could also use the 73 external thermostat that was used more remotely. One must be aware of the different size threads on the various parts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.