Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Targa repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
frostyf
Has anyone successfully repaired a Targa top?
Click to view attachment

Mines got a crack above the RHS rear catch / Hardware position. I'm not sure but think water might have got in and rusted the captive nut causing it to expand. The roofs got a 3-5mm bulge on top (photo isn't too great but hopefully you can see.Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I wondered if anyone has ever cut in from underneath to try and replace and re fibreglass in a replacement nut??

Thanks, Nick
VegasRacer
If you want a project, go for it. sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif

I would just buy another top. smile.gif Good used ones are common and not expensive. smilie_wirdgut.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(frostyf @ Dec 10 2020, 04:21 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Mines got a crack above the RHS rear catch / Hardware position. I'm not sure but think water might have got in and rusted the captive nut causing it to expand. The roofs got a 3-5mm bulge on top (photo isn't too great but hopefully you can see.Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I wondered if anyone has ever cut in from underneath to try and replace and re fibreglass in a replacement nut??

Thanks, Nick

Oh dear,thats not good ,these tops are made of injection molded fiberglass so harder to fix,corner chips and minor cracks are easy enough,depends on your skills really but better to find a good used....they aren't worth much as unlike the rest of the car they don't rust lol-2.gif .
Good Luck.
frostyf
QUOTE(porschetub @ Dec 10 2020, 04:36 AM) *

QUOTE(frostyf @ Dec 10 2020, 04:21 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Thanks, Nick

Oh dear,thats not good ,these tops are made of injection molded fiberglass so harder to fix,corner chips and minor cracks are easy enough,depends on your skills really but better to find a good used....they aren't worth much as unlike the rest of the car they don't rust lol-2.gif .
Good Luck.

Thank you for the advice, I'll see what I can find on the parts for sale forum. Nick
mepstein
If you like to diy, you have nothing to loose.
Frankvw
I think the cost in material, time and energy to fix this, will be same price or even higher than the price of a second hand top from a member.
But I always admire people that change trash into treasure, so in case you go that route, we love the pics & progress updates !
Good luck !

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.