Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cold galvanizing compund
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tat2dphreak
can you use cold galvanizing compound (primer) as weldable primer?

found some at Lowe's and was curoius... says you can spray spot welds with it... but don't specifically say it's weldable...

says it's 93% pure Zinc...

JeffBowlsby
Most of them are zinc particlew suspended in an epoxy carrier or something similar. Welding would probably just burn through it but you can always recoat the welded areas.
Katmanken
Be very careful!!!

Don't breathe the fumes!!!!!!

"Zinc fever" is not what you want!

Ken

spare time toys
QUOTE (kwales @ Jul 16 2005, 04:58 PM)
Be very careful!!!

Don't breathe the fumes!!!!!!

"Zinc fever" is not what you want!

Ken

agree.gif When I did the temp job over building tail stands in the iron works at work we used it. We had to make catch baskets for the wash rack drains. We would spary the angle iron with ti as we made the sections then weld in place. The guy who did 95% of the welds got sicker than a dog. barf.gif icon8.gif
tat2dphreak
I want to paint the piece on the inside, befor I put it on... I won't be welding directly to the paint... the paint will be on the opposite side of the metal...

so this should be ok? I don't want my long to rust from the inside out...

would even regular primer work for what I want to do?
cooltimes
Stay away from welding any type to galvanized metal. It produces poison, acidy type fumes that even small amount can be much more hazardous than you would expect.
I think what you described that they are selling is for coating the weld to protect from rust and corrosion in the future. Been wrong many times but am certain this is not one of those times.
Be careful. Want to see you finish that good job you are doing on the 914.

Mike
A harddrive full of music is super. Must be some on it for doing the 914 ramblers jig at a ramble. LOL
Katmanken
Do you have a fan?

Can you work outdoors?

Blowing the fumes AWAY works for me.

Read up on it. Mebbe a filter mask will help but I won't do it indoors.

Ken
scotty b
Buy a can of Bloxide from Eastwood. I use the stuff almost daily and am very happy with it. It is a weldthrough primer that is VERY high in aluminum, high enough that if it sits for a few minutes it needs to be reshaken. As I have told others before, Spies Hecker makes a red/brown primer that is also a weld through, it also werks very well and has an "infinite" pot life. I keep a quart mixed at the shop and pour from it when needed, then close it back up. Either of these are very good but remember, you also get what you pay for! I also so no to the cold galvanizing. It is toxic and it does not weld easily, you will think you have a good weld until you take you clamps off and the panels will often seperate mad.gif
tat2dphreak
thanks guys, I'll take this stuff back and find some weld-through primer...

I'll search for a local place and find some! thanks!!

clap.gif

welder.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.