Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Checking spring position for the fan heater flaps
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mcraneiowa
I am reassembling the fan shroud with the heat flaps. I placed the spring underneath the hold down Tab but when working it back-and-forth it works itself up after. I moved it under the bracket against the magnesium bracket. Is that the correct position that is showing in the picture? Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
bdstone914
The squared end of the spring should be on the top side of the fan shroud tab and under the steel hold down tab.
rhodyguy
Think 914rubber has the bushings for the bar. Now would be the time. A new long control cable will make things easier down the road.
bbrock
The PET shows two of the spring steel tabs (one on the other end of the flapper rod). I think a lot of engines are missing the second one. I got a tip from another member to cut one out of a scrap of steel shipping strap.
Mcraneiowa
Thanks for the info. I had it under the tab but there is no indent in the magnesium bracket ( that the tab sit on top of) to help hold it in place and keep from working up and out when I move the flaps back and forth. Should I cut a thin line in the magnesium bracket to allow the spring wire to recess a bit which would allow the tab to lay flat and keep the wire from moving.
Mcraneiowa
I figured out that there should be very little tension placed on the spring. I was trying to bring it about 3/4 the way around placing tension on the spring when secured under the metal tab and it would work loose when I moved the flaps back and forth. Once I figured this out, I was able to easily secure it under the steel tab. The flaps tend to gravitate towards open and with any fan air blowing will easily stay in the open position. Next is to reinstall the wire and thermostat.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.