Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 906 at Pebble Beach Concours
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Maltese Falcon
In easier times, Pebble Beach Concours 1978, cool factor with a street driven 906 (random Kodak moment), not mine but a pretty good R.O.I. if you owned this back then ! First...an awesome drive up HWY 1 PCH, then a $50 spot got you onto the Del Monte Lodge grounds for a Perfect day of cars + car folk. Next day >> get over to Laguna Seca Raceway Historics, organized by Steven J. Earle (later sold the franchise to Rolex), and watch them run !
Click to view attachment
MM1
Great stuff - thanks for posting!
Beebo Kanelle
That's fantastic! Hope you don't mind, but I tried to clean it up a little bit.Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Thx @BeeboKanelle aktion035.gif !
lots of pics in my car culture albums through these decades ยก
Unobtanium-inc
My friend bought this one for $5000 out of the New York Times.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Dec 12 2020, 11:39 AM) *

Hey Marty
This picture was taken by my brother Kevin (RIP) at Dick Hylands in New York state
in early '70s
I missed some great adventures while away at school.
Kevin brought Porsche into our lives.
My brother- in-law Bill Heitmann is in the Spyder
My brother Robert is looking on.
The good old days.
Rory Gallagher
stownsen914

There was a fellow in NJ when I was a kid in the 70s who bought a 906 for a few thou and drove it at PCA events for a while, and sold it for reportedly a lot more! Wonder if it was the same guy.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Dec 12 2020, 09:31 AM) *

There was a fellow in NJ when I was a kid in the 70s who bought a 906 for a few thou and drove it at PCA events for a while, and sold it for reportedly a lot more! Wonder if it was the same guy.

Dick Hyland was in upstate NY, but might have been the same guy. This was him with another Porsche.
stownsen914
I might've missed that Dick owned the 906. I met Dick a few times over the years at PCA track events. I remember that EBS Porsche too, from when another PCA member owned it before Dick did. Cool car.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Dec 12 2020, 07:46 PM) *

I might've missed that Dick owned the 906. I met Dick a few times over the years at PCA track events. I remember that EBS Porsche too, from when another PCA member owned it before Dick did. Cool car.

He's taught me so much about Porsche.
smg914

Might that have been Ken Williams?
stownsen914
QUOTE(smg914 @ Dec 12 2020, 11:55 PM) *

Might that have been Ken Williams?

Yes, that's the name I was thinking of! I remember watching him drive the 906 at Lime Rock. I was tagging along with my parents at PCA events. It was probably mid 70s or so.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Dec 12 2020, 09:24 AM) *

Hey Marty
This picture was taken by my brother Kevin (RIP) at Dick Hylands in New York state
in early '70s
I missed some great adventures while away at school.
Kevin brought Porsche into our lives.
My brother- in-law Bill Heitmann is in the Spyder
My brother Robert is looking on.
The good old days.
Rory Gallagher

Great stories Rory & All ! Someone here needs to start a new thread on "What was the spark that led you down the 914 path ? "
For me it was the search for a fun, mid engined , streetable /some club racing type of vehicle. While still in graphics school I was designing my vehicle; it was a DIY kit car known as Manta. Kind of a copy of a McLaren CanAm of the day + sb Chev powered. Kit cars were easy to get street registered back then too (CHP assigned vin #s). The weak point of building the Manta was relying on the Corvair transaxle...so I nixed the project and pursued the 914.
At a few SCCA races I've been to in recent times, there was a '70s Manta smile.gif Top podium finisher + Hewland transaxle equipped ! aktion035.gif
Dominic
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Dec 12 2020, 02:13 PM) *

Dick Hyland was in upstate NY, but might have been the same guy. This was him with another Porsche.

Small world, I remember the EBS Porsche in the picture. I grew up in the same small town as Dick Hyland, My brother bought his first Porsche from Dick back in 1983. My bother is a machinist, so he also made some custom parts for that race car (I think it was a mirror mount?).

Cool photos, thanks for sharing!
mbseto
I think it would be awesome to drive one of those on the street, then I think of all the SUVs with the drivers on their smart phones.
stownsen914
Duplicate post
rgalla9146
QUOTE(mbseto @ Dec 14 2020, 12:15 PM) *

I think it would be awesome to drive one of those on the street, then I think of all the SUVs with the drivers on their smart phones.

A 906 on the street ?
Certainly not a Ralph Nader recommendation but......could anything top it for
a once or twice a year blast ? I'd love to have that opportunity.
If given the choice between a 904 and a 906 ? no contest, any 904 looks cobbled
and clunky next to a 906.

Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(mbseto @ Dec 14 2020, 09:15 AM) *

I think Chuck Stoddard used to take his on the street with a lead car and a chase car, I doubt he had tags for it. RIP Chuck.
mbseto
The car in the posted pic looks like it has tags and registration, or is it a fake tag just for show?
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(mbseto @ Dec 14 2020, 09:46 PM) *

The car in the posted pic looks like it has tags and registration, or is it a fake tag just for show?

Cali blue license plates, + personalized , first issue in 1970. It would have originally had the '60s black plate when first registered (mid '60s). Simple requirements to street register cars then (pre emissions). Just needed; fenders, wipers, dual brake circuit, lights, windshield, mufflers, and a ViN #
904s and 906s were street registered for public road use in many parts of the globe back then. And then there was a Count in Monaco with a street licensed 917 driving.gif
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Dec 15 2020, 02:39 AM) *

QUOTE(mbseto @ Dec 14 2020, 09:46 PM) *

Cali blue license plates, + personalized , first issue in 1970. It would have originally had the '60s black plate when first registered (mid '60s). Simple requirements to street register cars then (pre emissions). Just needed; fenders, wipers, dual brake circuit, lights, windshield, mufflers, and a ViN #
904s and 906s were street registered for public road use in many parts of the globe back then. And then there was a Count in Monaco with a street licensed 917 driving.gif

Wasn't the 906 the first factory race car that Porsche 'suggested' be picked up
with a trailer ?
Racer
The 904 was the last official Porsche race car that could be licensed in the US for street use. Not to say folks don't throw plates on other ones.

I believe Jeff Zwart drives his 906 on the street. Can't recall if I've seen plates on it though. Pretty sure there is video/pics though. IIRC, the 906 was not authorized for street use by Porsche in the US

A friend of my brother has a 962. "Klaus", the mechanic, will drive the car on the rural streets uncrowded streets near the shop after doing work.
mepstein
QUOTE(Racer @ Dec 15 2020, 10:39 AM) *

The 904 was the last official Porsche race car that could be licensed in the US for street use. Not to say folks don't throw plates on other ones.

I believe Jeff Zwart drives his 906 on the street. Can't recall if I've seen plates on it though. Pretty sure there is video/pics though. IIRC, the 906 was not authorized for street use by Porsche in the US

A friend of my brother has a 962. "Klaus", the mechanic, will drive the car on the rural streets uncrowded streets near the shop after doing work.

We had a 962 at the shop but only pushed it around the parking lot. It was so low that there was no way to drive it on the street. The bodywork had to be removed to push it up the ramp into the trailer and that was with a set of race ramps to lessen the angle of the trailer ramp.

I've seen pics of a road going 917. That must have been a blast.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 15 2020, 08:26 AM) *

We had a 962 at the shop but only pushed it around the parking lot. It was so low that there was no way to drive it on the street. The bodywork had to be removed to push it up the ramp into the trailer and that was with a set of race ramps to lessen the angle of the trailer ramp.

If I ever get this one I'll let everyone knows how it does on the street.
Maltese Falcon

Our 924GTR requires 3/4" plywood under its tires at just about every move going in & out of our facility...forget the local C&C trips !
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Dec 15 2020, 07:23 PM) *

Our 924GTR requires 3/4" plywood under its tires at just about every move going in & out of our facility...forget the local C&C trips !

Porsche factory racer on the street ?
I drove a 924 Carrera GTS Clubsport a number of times while working for CarKraft
in Leonia NJ in 1982.
The model is not well known (21 built ?)
2100 lbs, 2.0 L, 275 HP, large front intercooler, fiberglass doors and front lid,
bolt-on glass rear flares, plexy windows including rear hatch, no window lifts, on
board fire system, perlon floor covering, 8x16 Fuchs, etc.etc.
I've driven some pretty stout 930's......this 924 friggin' flew !
Marty correct me if I have the specs wrong.
I have a couple pics somewhere
RickS
QUOTE(mbseto @ Dec 14 2020, 10:15 AM) *

Hands free if you please.Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Dec 15 2020, 07:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Dec 15 2020, 07:23 PM) *

Porsche factory racer on the street ?
I drove a 924 Carrera GTS Clubsport a number of times while working for CarKraft
in Leonia NJ in 1982.
The model is not well known (21 built ?)
2100 lbs, 2.0 L, 275 HP, large front intercooler, fiberglass doors and front lid,
bolt-on glass rear flares, plexy windows including rear hatch, no window lifts, on
board fire system, perlon floor covering, 8x16 Fuchs, etc.etc.
I've driven some pretty stout 930's......this 924 friggin' flew !
Marty correct me if I have the specs wrong.
I have a couple pics somewhere

1981 924GTR...about 2 1/2" ground clearance at the oval shaped exhaust pipe. 450 bhp/ 2,000 lbs. Ex LM24, IMSA, single turbo, mfi, 2L. Geared for 165 mph

Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
She's low, but loads on the trailer OK. It rips Real Good !
Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
Found a picture.
924 Carrera GTS
Notice the sliding plexi door glass and alloy Mater roll bar
After I had contact with the car it was for sale in Conn. for more than a year
with no takers at $47,000. !!! a factory built racecar.
Unobtanium-inc
I had a chance to buy this 924 once, I couldn't make it happen. I did buy about 8 356's from the guy. I was way more comfortable knowing the values of those, the 924 I really had no idea.
mepstein
We had the first and last of a 924 race car, designated 933, in our shop. I think 16 were made by Porsche. The first was a prototype and the last was a body in white. Bob Russo worked on them back in the day and it's listed in one of the big Porsche racing books.

http://www.924.org/models/924D933.htm

These cars were designed by the factory to race in SCCA D Production Championship starting in 1979. The Porsche project number of these race cars was 933. Only 16 were built by the factory. However, if you had the right connections, you "could" buy the parts as a kit from Porsche to convert your street car into a fully race-ready 924. At least that's what they wanted the SCCA to think.

The laundry list of (major) parts in the "kit":

933 motor with 931 head and 11.3:1 compression
Kugelfischer mechanical fuel injection
Intake manifold for Kugelfischer injection with quad throttle bodies
Oil cooler
Tuned header, exhaust, and megaphone (exit RH side of car)
5-speed snailshell-type transmission
Race suspension including rear coilovers
Bilstein monotube shocks and struts
Reinforced A-arms and trailing arms (see below)
Components to lower car by remounting suspension
Heavy sway bars
15x7" BBS 3-piece rims
Solid aluminum mounts for engine, transmission, and suspension
Fuel cell
Maltese Falcon
Al Holbert / Holberts Porsche + Audi and their operation of Porsche Motorsports N/A had most of the 924 race models available for customer purchase. They had the factory license to build the D Prod cars to support racing customers, with the factory components. Al's racing team also ran 2 of the Weissach built GTR's, and the race shop maintained all types of Porsche racecars of the period. He also built his Continuation IMSA 962 (Lowenbrau) , bodies built by Klym/ Fabcar. Nolan in the parts dept. was our contact there, and we appreciated their choice in MSDS exhaust systems !
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
924GTR's would be upgraded with the latest Weissach go-fast items as they were developed.
So Holbert's P+A would also install these upgrades as well. Note the 924 air scoops (hood) on these 2 Holbert cars. Each in a different position, as #14 has the mfi upgrade (scoop on driver side L), while the other #12 has an earlier model mfi (scoop on pass side R). Put your money on #14 driving.gif
Click to view attachment
mepstein
Bob Russo was the crew chief for the Holbert 962 team. I loved watching him work. He Just knows Porsche race cars inside out. He still maintains a garage full of race cars for a rich guy.
Maltese Falcon
Found a snippet of our Holbert connection, from the UPS daily ledger 1987. Still in touch with some of the guys, son Todd, Michael W.
Click to view attachment
stownsen914
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Dec 16 2020, 08:17 AM) *

Found a picture.
924 Carrera GTS
Notice the sliding plexi door glass and alloy Mater roll bar
After I had contact with the car it was for sale in Conn. for more than a year
with no takers at $47,000. !!! a factory built racecar.

I remember seeing one of these at a PCA event at Watkins Glen back around 1990. The aluminum roll cage was the sign it was a real factory car. Very cool!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.