Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suspension removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Stuckon914
I’ve stripped everything off of the car except engine and suspension. I have a few days off so that is next. What is the recommended order. Rear wheels on ramps, Drop engine, Jack stands rear end, drop rear suspension and wheels, free up front suspension as one piece; put front end on Jack stands.
Any tips on order of steps, and Jack stand and hydraulic jack placement appreciated.
Car is braced in frunk, trunk, cabin, and doors with 1inch square tubing.
Lots of rust so some Jack areas not useable.
Thanks
mepstein
I like to throw the wheels under the car as a backup and use an impact wrench to remove all the bolts holding on the suspension.
Remember to detach the steering shaft in the front trunk.
Stuckon914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 13 2020, 08:02 PM) *

I like to throw the wheels under the car as a backup and use an impact wrench to remove all the bolts holding on the suspension.

Good idea. I hate working under a car at 50, even with multiple jack stands 30 years ago I would work under them with a single Jack holding it up.
mepstein
QUOTE(Stuckon914 @ Dec 13 2020, 08:17 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 13 2020, 08:02 PM) *

Good idea. I hate working under a car at 50, even with multiple jack stands 30 years ago I would work under them with a single Jack holding it up.

Last time I did this I also had my hf lift table under the car as backup.
bkrantz
You can drop the front suspension as one big assembly (I did on my project), but it is heavy and awkward--be prepared.
Stuckon914
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Dec 13 2020, 09:52 PM) *

You can drop the front suspension as one big assembly (I did on my project), but it is heavy and awkward--be prepared.

Would you do it the same way again?
mepstein
QUOTE(Stuckon914 @ Dec 14 2020, 12:13 AM) *

When I part a car, I remove the whole assemble and then work on the individual parts on the ground. Recently, on another 914, I assembled the front suspension and put in the assembly myself. It was pretty easy with a piece of plywood on my transmission jack.

I wouldn't try to hold it with one hand and wrench with the other but if you support it, it's not hard at all. You can take off the brake rotors to make it a bit lighter and then the assembly probably weighs about 75 lbs.
BK911
Might want to break the ball joints free while still on the car.
Stuckon914
Where do you support the front end to drop the front suspension? Front tow hook area
iankarr
given that the car may have some structural issues, I'd feel a lot better about using something like a quickjack to lift the car to keep the stresses even / balanced. Also way easier to work on than using jack stands.

As far as order goes, I'd drop the engine, then do the rear suspension, then the front. I actually just made videos on this...including separating the steering joint...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KecED-2H39Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFLyAjA_XYM

Hope they help!
Stuckon914
QUOTE(iankarr @ Dec 14 2020, 01:41 PM) *

given that the car may have some structural issues, I'd feel a lot better about using something like a quickjack to lift the car to keep the stresses even / balanced. Also way easier to work on than using jack stands.

As far as order goes, I'd drop the engine, then do the rear suspension, then the front. I actually just made videos on this...including separating the steering joint...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KecED-2H39Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFLyAjA_XYM

Hope they help!

Thanks, watched them, as you recommended I have two sizes of BFH are ready to go.
bkrantz
QUOTE(Stuckon914 @ Dec 13 2020, 10:13 PM) *

Yes, but with another person to help.

Disassembly is much easier off the car.
iankarr
I'm super impressed with my HF Earthquace 20V impact. Pretty sure it would've taken off that stuck axle nut. You may want to arm yourself...
Stuckon914
QUOTE(iankarr @ Dec 15 2020, 12:35 AM) *

I'm super impressed with my HF Earthquace 20V impact. Pretty sure it would've taken off that stuck axle nut. You may want to arm yourself...

Good to know. Spent 3 hours trying to get the wheel spindle nut off. Didn’t want to cut it off just yet. I don’t know why other than it’s personal.which one do you have, the 1/2 inch XT with about 2000 ft-pounds? $280
mepstein
QUOTE(Stuckon914 @ Dec 15 2020, 08:13 PM) *

QUOTE(iankarr @ Dec 15 2020, 12:35 AM) *

Good to know. Spent 3 hours trying to get the wheel spindle nut off. Didn’t want to cut it off just yet. I don’t know why other than it’s personal.

MAPP torch for a couple minutes and then paraffin or an old candle on the threads while its still hot. Repeat as needed but go hot and heavy on the heat. Minutes, not seconds.
Also, with stuck fasteners, it can be helpful to tighten them a smidge and then loosen. Many times, the threads are not corroded on the inside of the stub axle so it's easier to tighten to break the corrosion bond.
Lastly, an impact gun is your friend. My first one was the 1/2" harbor freight corded model for $25. When my better cordless is without a charge, I break it back out and it never fails me. I believe an impact gun is much better and safer at removing frozen fasteners than a breaker bar.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.