Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bigger valves in 1.8 heads?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Korijo
can you use a 2L exhaust valve in a 1.8L head? [after machining, of corse dry.gif ]

i was thinking [ smoke.gif ] of only bumping the exhaust up to 36mm, and leaving the intakes at 41mm? common practice? weird?

i have a set of loaded, rebuilt 2L heads; but i want to use the Solex PII 40's Joe Sharp gave me*, so i'm gettin' some 1.8L heads...

* [thanks again joe pray.gif clap.gif boldblue.gif ]
qa1142
Valves are not the problem. The porting angles and flow of the 2.0 heads are just that much better. Plug location and angle is different also. This is why I am rebuilding a 2.0 to replace my 1.8 smilie_pokal.gif

Stick with your 1.8 and save $ for 2.0 heads and or motor

anthony
You can also have the 1.8 spark plug holes welded up and relocated to the 2L position. You can also go for smaller diameter spark plugs so that they don't crack in the future.
Korijo
Stick with your 1.8 and save $ for 2.0 heads and or motor

see my 1st post, already have 2L heads blink.gif , but thanks for yur post.

You can also have the 1.8 spark plug holes welded up and relocated to the 2L position. You can also go for smaller diameter spark plugs so that they don't crack in the future.

"I did not know this..."

gud reply.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (anthony @ Jul 16 2005, 08:55 PM)

agree.gif

I think Jake said that he preferred this... the smaller plug keeps the little cracks from happening too... IIRC, anyway...

Jake Raby
1.8 heads don't have the spark plug cracking issues of the 2.0 because of plug location. We flycut 1.8 heads down almost to the sparkplug on F prod engines and no crack issues..

Going to the 36mm exhaust without upping the intake valve will imbalance the head quite a bit..

42x36 valves(stock 2.0 size) can be used in a 1.8 head and still be supported by stock ports. Porting will help, but is not necessary..

Spark plug relocation has given us 8% more power+ in every instance that we have tested it..
Korijo
i can use 2L valves in a 1.8 head WITHOUT changing guides, seats, or porting the chambers? wacko.gif [i will have it done regardless]

if i use the 1.8 head, it will have the plugs relocated.

any advice on welding the exsiting plug holes?
gregrobbins
Why don't you use the 2.0L heads? Carb manifolds for 2.0L heads are cheap enough. I have a pair I would swap you for 2.0L FI runners if you have extras.
Korijo
QUOTE (gregrobbins @ Jul 17 2005, 01:57 PM)
Why don't you use the 2.0L heads? Carb manifolds for 2.0L heads are cheap enough. I have a pair I would swap you for 2.0L FI runners if you have extras.

b/c i want to try to use the short manifolds w/ the solex 40's...

if'n it doan wurk...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.