Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Triumph community, Porsche community.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mbseto
I've mentioned before, my dad drives a TR3. There's a local Triumph club and he's also connected with the Houston club. Below is a map of their big 2020 trip to Yellowstone, which they did a couple months ago. Dad writes a newsletter for the Cincy club and they do a bunch of smaller trips throughout the year. They do picnics and the occasional road rally.

I've seen the west coast ramble on here and the BBQ meet up north, and the annual Porsche sanctioned get-together, but what cities have some level of local activity?

Click to view attachment
VaccaRabite
If I'm reading this correctly that's a ~4000 mile ride.
How long did that tour take him to complete?

Zach
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Dec 15 2020, 07:33 AM) *

Zach

Yikes, yes, and how many cars didn’t make it?
BENBRO02
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Dec 15 2020, 10:11 PM) *

Zach

Talking about British cars. It may be easier to count the ones that did make it. bootyshake.gif
mbseto
Took him half the summer. And that includes him driving from Cincinnati to North Carolina to drop his dog off with my sister, then from there to Houston to BEGIN the trip and then picking up the dog on the way home. The newsletter says one car didn't make it, but they had an RV and trailer so I think they knew the car was questionable. Between them all, every group of 4 cars carries enough spare parts to build a complete car, and they spend a good amount of time on the side of the road or in hotel parking lots doing exactly that. And they seem to like it this way. I'm pretty sure the car he comes home with is only about 40% of the car he left with. Where does the rest of it go? Same place your socks go in the laundry. I will take these responses as confirmation that he and his club are as crazy as I thought.
VaccaRabite
I don't know about crazy. Seems like a hell of an adventure.
Just not something I'd be able to do until I was well and truely retired.

20 Years to go!
Zach
bretth
Reminds me of the first recorded US cross country trip in 1903. Horatio Nelson Jackson and Sewall Crocker They broke down many times.
Tdskip
QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Dec 16 2020, 08:43 AM) *

Zach

Talking about British cars. It may be easier to count the ones that did make it. bootyshake.gif

While offered in good humor I'm crying foul on this.

I've had 8+ TRs, and not one of them ever stranded me or failed to complete a trip. Not one.

TR3-TR6 are very robust cars that are easily kept running, and we raced a TR7 in Lemons that refused to die despite our best efforts.
BENBRO02
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Dec 16 2020, 10:34 AM) *

QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Dec 16 2020, 08:43 AM) *

Zach

While offered in good humor I'm crying foul on this.

I've had 8+ TRs, and not one of them ever stranded me or failed to complete a trip. Not one.

TR3-TR6 are very robust cars that are easily kept running, and we raced a TR7 in Lemons that refused to die despite our best efforts.

It was just me trying to be funny. I love British cars.
bkrantz
Looks like a fun trip. Too bad they missed the mountains in central Colorado and used the interstate to Denver.
914forme
We Had a Stag and well had to replace al the wiring harness. Then it was almost perfect.
mbseto
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Dec 16 2020, 10:16 PM) *

Too bad they missed the mountains in central Colorado and used the interstate to Denver.

I think Yellowstone was the target. There's an awful lot to see along that route, you could easily end up with a trip that lasts 5 years. Still, they stop at museums (Air Museum in Liberal KS, Shelby Museum in Englewood), vendors that they are familiar with, whatever sights they want along the way. All fully retired, so why not.

And while the map may show a highway, sometimes it really looks like this:
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.