Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Issues with Sierra Madre Collection
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
71914-4
Have been having problems with my hand brake assembly working consistently. so I purchased a rebuilt hand brake assembly for my '71 914 from Sierra Madre Collection on 11-28-20. They automatically charged me a core fee of $200. I figured I could live that, so I could still have use of the existing one even if it was sketchy. A couple of days after I placed the order they contacted me wanting to know if I planned to send the core in. It took several days of email correspondence for them to finally admit they didn't have any assemblies in stock and needed my core for rebuild. They volunteered to refund my core fee that day. I shipped my hand brake assembly to them.

As of today's date they have my hand brake assembly in hand but haven't refunded my core fee. Finally got someone to answer the phone and was informed they wouldn't refund my core fee until the company that does the rebuild confirms they consider it rebuildable. This defies logic, if they didn't have an assembly in stock to begin with why should I be penalized by withholding my $200 core fee.

I will never do business with them again.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(71914-4 @ Dec 14 2020, 03:55 PM) *

Have been having problems with my hand brake assembly working consistently. so I purchased a rebuilt hand brake assembly for my '71 914 from Sierra Madre Collection on 11-28-20. They automatically charged me a core fee of $200. I figured I could live that, so I could still have use of the existing one even if it was sketchy. A couple of days after I placed the order they contacted me wanting to know if I planned to send the core in. It took several days of email correspondence for them to finally admit they didn't have any assemblies in stock and needed my core for rebuild. They volunteered to refund my core fee that day. I shipped my hand brake assembly to them.

As of today's date they have my hand brake assembly in hand but haven't refunded my core fee. Finally got someone to answer the phone and was informed they wouldn't refund my core fee until the company that does the rebuild confirms they consider it rebuildable. This defies logic, if they didn't have an assembly in stock to begin with why should I be penalized by withholding my $200 core fee.

Not to mention the block of wood (wheel stop) you need to travel around with during the absence of your handbrake assy. mad.gif Not a fan of doing biz with Co's that are disconnected from good customer service. Keep us posted on how you're order plays out .
mepstein
Call your credit card company.
Cairo94507
Before outing a supplier for something, I prefer to give them adequate time to remedy the issue. I also go up the food chain to get to someone who has the authority to resolve the issue on the spot. Given our current economic situation and the general condition of the Country, people not being at work due to COVID, etc., I would be patient. I do however disagree with charging a core fee for a part you are shipping them that they are going to rebuild. But Sierra Madre has always been reputable when I have dealt with them. good luck and keep us posted. beerchug.gif
bbrock
Yeah, that's B.S. You shouldn't be charged a core fee when you are the one supplying the core.
71914-4
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Dec 14 2020, 04:09 PM) *

QUOTE(71914-4 @ Dec 14 2020, 03:55 PM) *

Not to mention the block of wood (wheel stop) you need to travel around with during the absence of your handbrake assy. mad.gif Not a fan of doing biz with Co's that are disconnected from good customer service. Keep us posted on how you're order plays out .

My driveway has a significant slope, I have to use a rubber chock with a length of rope to pull it out of the way.
bdstone914
QUOTE(71914-4 @ Dec 14 2020, 05:55 PM) *

@71914-4
I am finishing several late one piece brake handles. I charge $125 with no core.
I offer that as an option. I could finish and ship one tomorrow.
THe early handles are prone to breaking the spring on the internal rod. You do have to remove the stop located on the long for the two piece handle.

Bruce
Larmo63
I have the owner's cell phone #?

his name is Jorge.

Things get resolved quicker when you call him directly.
JamesJ
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Dec 14 2020, 06:19 PM) *

@71914-4
I am finishing several late one piece brake handles. I charge $125 with no core.
THe early handles are prone to breaking the spring on the internal rod. You do have to remove the stop located on the long for the two piece handle.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,
In addition to rebuilding the e-brake assembly, do you also powdercoat or refinish the paint? ...or can that be added to your rebuild?
Thanks.
@bdstone914
JamesJ
Has anyone used the JÖRG parking brake lever assembly for 914 (1973-1976) models?
PanelBilly
I would have called Bruce first
bdstone914
QUOTE(JamesJ @ Dec 14 2020, 10:34 PM) *

@71914-4

Bruce

Hi Bruce,
In addition to rebuilding the e-brake assembly, do you also powdercoat or refinish the paint? ...or can that be added to your rebuild?
Thanks.
@bdstone914

@JamesJ
Yes they are powder coated.
JamesJ
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Dec 14 2020, 08:59 PM) *

QUOTE(JamesJ @ Dec 14 2020, 10:34 PM) *

@71914-4

Bruce

Hi Bruce,
Thanks.
@bdstone914

@JamesJ
Yes they are powder coated.

Thanks Bruce. @bdstone914 . Sending PM.
mate914
Maybe suppliers should not offer something for sale they don’t have.
mepstein
QUOTE(mate914 @ Dec 15 2020, 07:45 AM) *

Maybe suppliers should not offer something for sale they don’t have.

When I worked at the shop, we would occasionally order from them. After a lot of "no show" part orders, I started asking them to physically check the stock while we were on the phone or call back with confirmation.
JOEPROPER
Bad experience. Should not sell a part that you don't have. Core exchange always depends on the quality of the returned core. Some cores are not acceptable because of condition. If it's not rebuildable, then it's not an acceptable core. Hope this is resolved quickly for everyone's sake.
burlybryan
I've been having similar experiences with AA and PP. Make a big order for items that appear to be in stock only to find later when my order has yet to ship (or arrives partially fulfilled) that they're waiting on back ordered item(s). Really annoying to be sold items that they don't physically possess or can't be verifiably drop shipped from a vendor. I suppose some issues could be due to belt tightening or reduced credit lines during "these unprecedented times".
Tdskip
Pretty sure Sierra will sent that off to someone like PMB anyway. For trim etc they have been fine in my personal experience but....
Mikey914
SMC is trying to do more of what Bruce has been doing for years.
They have started rebuilding pedal assemblies as well.

Talk to Bruce I don't think he will charge you a core shades.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 15 2020, 11:46 AM) *

SMC is trying to do more of what Bruce has been doing for years.
They have started rebuilding pedal assemblies as well.

Talk to Bruce I don't think he will charge you a core shades.gif

That kind of rehab is tough to do on a large scale and in a timely manner.

When I worked at the shop, we got all the powder coating equipment to do it in house because it was taking too long when we had a vendor do it. The owner took in one job for a friend, coating some 911 engine tin. We did it and then after completion, realized an small section had blown through. It was thin from rust. So then we had to go back, fix the spot and coat again. The owner quickly realized you couldn't make money doing it for customers on a flat rate and people are shocked when you have them pay for time and materials.

Bruce/Bdstone914 does a fantastic job at a bargain price. It's hard to replicate commercially.

He once did a 964 pedal rebuild for us, had a broken piece made at a machine shop and delivered back looking as new. Customer said it was the nicest part on his car.
71914-4
I appreciate all the comments and support from the members of 914World.

As of this morning, Sierra Madre Collection and I have come to an amicable solution (I mentioned that I was a member of 914World). I'm cancelling my order and they have agreed to provide a full refund and return my hand brake assembly. I will keep the community updated on their progress.

I have dealt with the other major vendors since I purchased my 914 in 2014. Of these vendors 914Rubber has beat all of them hands down in customer service, pricing, and delivery.
porschetub
QUOTE(71914-4 @ Dec 16 2020, 06:16 AM) *

I appreciate all the comments and support from the members of 914World.

As of this morning, Sierra Madre Collection and I have come to an amicable solution (I mentioned that I was a member of 914World). I'm cancelling my order and they have agreed to provide a full refund and return my hand brake assembly. I will keep the community updated on their progress.

I have dealt with the other major vendors since I purchased my 914 in 2014. Of these vendors 914Rubber has beat all of them hands down in customer service, pricing, and delivery.

Had terrible trouble with SMC,won't deal with them again,they don't give a rats about oversea's customers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.