Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rotisserie for rent
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
930cabman
Given the investment and ease of completing repairs is there a market for this item. I would gladly rent a device similar to the RD rig. Or would be available to fabricate one and rent it. Shipping the device knocked down might be challenging.
mepstein
The big problem I see is the amount of time a car usually spends on one. Years is typical. For most people, it's worth it to build or buy and then sell when done.

We have a greg smith equipment a couple miles away. I think the last one I purchased was $999 and they put it in the back of our pickup. They are 5 minutes off 95 and no sales tax in DE so they keep pretty busy.
930cabman
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 14 2020, 07:21 PM) *

The big problem I see is the amount of time a car usually spends on one. Years is typical. For most people, it's worth it to build or buy and then sell when done.

We have a greg smith equipment a couple miles away. I think the last one I purchased was $999 and they put it in the back of our pickup. They are 5 minutes off 95 and no sales tax in DE so they keep pretty busy.

The unit RD uses appears basic and could probably be fabricated in less than 20 hours. What is the approx weight of the bare shell? maybe 800#?
mepstein
QUOTE(930cabman @ Dec 14 2020, 07:30 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 14 2020, 07:21 PM) *

The unit RD uses appears basic and could probably be fabricated in less than 20 hours. What is the approx weight of the bare shell? maybe 800#?

500-550 depending on year. Early years are lighter. 911’s weigh 700-800.

To be more exact, I found this -
914forme
Get design laser cut. You can then bend and weld it all up on an hour or two.
Unobtanium-inc
The problem with rottisseries is there are a million ideas on how the perfect one should be set up, so selling one when you're done is tricky, if not impossible. I looked up a few years ago and had 4 of them, I gave them away to friends and people who wanted to come pick them up.
You're always better of staying simple, you can get fancy later, but you probably won't.
914forme
Adam, Mine was sold in a matter of minutes.
Mike Bellis
The problem here is once a 914 gets on a rotisserie, it never comes off. So it's cheaper to buy than rent.

I think this is the wrong market. You need to find those car guys that rush projects to completion.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(914forme @ Dec 14 2020, 08:12 PM) *

Maybe I should get you to invest for me, because you are far luckier than me! The times I tried to sell them I was inundated with a million questions and the cost of shipping always killed a deal.
Was yours a local pickup?
mlindner
Not a real fan of rotisserie's, we have one at work....big, cumbersome etc. Just build a tall car dolly. I built mine and then used it on a lift, great access, moveable, transport to painter. If I didn't have a lift I would have made the dolly a good foot higher. Best, MarkClick to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
930cabman
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Dec 14 2020, 11:10 PM) *

The problem with rottisseries is there are a million ideas on how the perfect one should be set up, so selling one when you're done is tricky, if not impossible. I looked up a few years ago and had 4 of them, I gave them away to friends and people who wanted to come pick them up.
You're always better of staying simple, you can get fancy later, but you probably won't.

The main reason I am researching this idea is to weld "in position". I am not a welder by trade but have built alot of stuff with stick/oxy-acty/mig over the years. The idea of welding overhead plug welds is not appealing. I have a HF scissors lift and it's working good for getting off the floor, if nothing else presents itself I will probably build one similar to the RD unit and put it up for sale when I am done.
mlindner
+1 Mark and Mike. Mine was on the dolly over five years. Happy Holiday.
VaccaRabite
IPB Image
IPB Image

Very easy to make using the 700lb HF engine stands. Orange is the stand, grey is the metal I added. Car was on them for about a year, and then I sold them for a profit. It made work so much easier.

The issue I see with your car is that you have so much structural steel removed, I would not want to put your car up in the air even braced. You need a bench right now that you can bolt the car on to from multiple points to keep it from moving while you weld. Once you have the car stabilized, then you can use the rotisserie.

Zach
Mikey914
I'd say you could fabricate one pretty simply. I do like that if you are stripping it all the way down it makes it easier to paint
Mikey914
one more
930cabman

Do you have an extra, I could pick it up?

thank you,
sixnotfour
paid $100 for one that got passed around, generally when your done your done,
next..
mepstein

Or it was too far to travel for a price but no problem when it's free.
930cabman
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Dec 15 2020, 11:57 AM) *

IPB Image
IPB Image

Very easy to make using the 700lb HF engine stands. Orange is the stand, grey is the metal I added. Car was on them for about a year, and then I sold them for a profit. It made work so much easier.

The issue I see with your car is that you have so much structural steel removed, I would not want to put your car up in the air even braced. You need a bench right now that you can bolt the car on to from multiple points to keep it from moving while you weld. Once you have the car stabilized, then you can use the rotisserie.

Zach

My plan exactly, I am working through the structural stuff now. RD has some nice parts and pieces but not everything. This work is similar to what I have been doing for many many years, historic restoration of our local historic buildings here in Buffalo. Save the good original material, remove the crap (selectively) and fabricate new materials matching original. Each splice is different and must be treated as such. This 914 will never see the track, but my intent is to recreate as close to original as possible.

I was thinking the RD rotisserie, but now looking at the "modified engine stand" route.

Quick, simple, easy

VaccaRabite
QUOTE(930cabman @ Dec 15 2020, 01:59 PM) *

Zach

My plan exactly, I am working through the structural stuff now. RD has some nice parts and pieces but not everything. This work is similar to what I have been doing for many many years, historic restoration of our local historic buildings here in Buffalo. Save the good original material, remove the crap (selectively) and fabricate new materials matching original. Each splice is different and must be treated as such. This 914 will never see the track, but my intent is to recreate as close to original as possible.

I was thinking the RD rotisserie, but now looking at the "modified engine stand" route.

Quick, simple, easy

Note that in those pictures I was not braced across the doors. I had VERY minimal welding to do on my chassis, and I did any hell hole work prior to mounting the car. But even with minimal hell hole welding I still put a 1/8th twist into the car and my pass side door gap has never been quite right. I didn't know any better at the time, and it was a hard lesson I had to learn. Which is why I was harping on it in your other thread.

I was able to shim the door to fit somewhat acceptably, though my gaps are not perfect. Putting your car on a bench will keep that from happening to your car. Its a very solid plan. The more places you can bolt it down the better.

Zach
mgp4591
I bought a rotisserie with hydraulic cylinders for height adjustments for 1k, shipped from https://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/ and have been very happy with the results. I'm converting it to a side by side lift now to use as my regular service equipment. I don't plan on selling it any time soon because the weight rating will accommodate my other cars too.

Click to view attachment
930cabman
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Dec 15 2020, 03:59 PM) *

QUOTE(930cabman @ Dec 15 2020, 01:59 PM) *

Zach

Back in the '80's I glued together a Ghia convert shooting from the hip big time. Drove it for at least a few years after and was always reminded with the bad door gaps. They closed and locked, but could never get them right. My plan with this project is much more driven with layout. The "holding fixture" I am using allows for door installation but I will also be checking diagonals and level as we go

Quick, simple, easy

Note that in those pictures I was not braced across the doors. I had VERY minimal welding to do on my chassis, and I did any hell hole work prior to mounting the car. But even with minimal hell hole welding I still put a 1/8th twist into the car and my pass side door gap has never been quite right. I didn't know any better at the time, and it was a hard lesson I had to learn. Which is why I was harping on it in your other thread.

I was able to shim the door to fit somewhat acceptably, though my gaps are not perfect. Putting your car on a bench will keep that from happening to your car. Its a very solid plan. The more places you can bolt it down the better.

Zach

914forme
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Dec 15 2020, 12:27 AM) *

QUOTE(914forme @ Dec 14 2020, 08:12 PM) *

Maybe I should get you to invest for me, because you are far luckier than me! The times I tried to sell them I was inundated with a million questions and the cost of shipping always killed a deal.
Was yours a local pickup?

Yes Local pickup, and mine was not a simple 914 rotisserie, height adjustable, full roller bearing spinning, locking pin to stop rotation. Drill powered raising and lowering. Can be seen in my 914EG build thread linked below.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.