Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Am I loony....washing the fender wells after a wet drive?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
raynekat
I thinks I'm crazy at times.
Went out with a buddy driving through some great Oregon twisty's over the weekend.
It's fall so there's lot of leaves, debris, etc all over the damp roads.
Getting all over my pristine underside.
Can't let that sit.

So here I am 30 minutes after getting back home.

Click to view attachment

Oh, the horror....

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

After about 1 hour of liberal amounts of water, soap, brushing.....I could finally let loose a sigh of relief.
Better now.

Click to view attachment

I must be psychotic or something.
I'll be entering counseling soon enough.

w00t.gif

raynekat
My buddy had a new to him 2nd hand Cayman S.
Oregon in the fall is very beautiful with some challenging roads.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
VaccaRabite
So, yeah. Over the top. But your car will last longer.

Zach
bigkensteele
I would have done the same thing if mine looked like that underneath.

That's why mine doesn't look like that underneath. poke.gif driving.gif lol-2.gif
Jett
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Dec 15 2020, 04:55 PM) *

I would have done the same thing if mine looked like that underneath.

That's why mine doesn't look like that underneath. poke.gif driving.gif lol-2.gif

+1
GregAmy
I clean mine off after wet/dirty weather drives, mostly because the popping and cracking of rusting metal sets off the garage intrusion alarms...and it's really distracting as I walk away...
914_teener
If I had wheel wells that looked like that I'd be waxing them afterwards.

No....your'e fine.
mepstein
It's your toy. You just wanted to play with it a bit longer than the drive. beerchug.gif
type2man
Now your lug nuts are all scratched up from being removed and installed blink.gif
Jamie
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 15 2020, 05:42 PM) *

It's your toy. You just wanted to play with it a bit longer than the drive. beerchug.gif

Definitely a case of OCD, but commendable when the car is so clean to begin with. I hate getting my Mistress wet, and do a good drying out in all known rust trouble spots.
bkrantz
Crazy? Probably. Something other Rennlisters understand? Of course.

I did buy a set of fender liners from 914Rubber for just this reason.
bandjoey
Use a leaf blower to dry everything too. Beautiful roads !
RickS
What you really need to do is remove the rocker panels and clean the area around the jack receiver. Corrosion there is bad news.

I have 914 Rubber fender liners. Not fool proof and a not complete seal but pretty good. Miss hearing the rocks hitting the inner fenders.

Clean wheel wells are a bit OCD but I did the same to my Cayenne last week + calipers and inside of tires, etc. note: this is only once a year.
Big Len
I'd be embarrassed to tell you what I do. Looney? No, you got a ways to go.
Nacho
I guess I’m looney! blink.gif

Nacho
Superhawk996
OK I'll be the guy. poke.gif Yes. It's just a car.

The next step beyond this is when guys stop driving them for fear of a paint chip, chipped glass, whatever. I know becuase I have friends that are like that with a car that has somehow become irreplaceable to them but at the end of the day . . . it's just a car and it is replaceable (Think 70's era Monte Carlo that they have restored or built as a hot rod).

Having said that. It's your car, and your hobby, so do what makes you happy. biggrin.gif
BENBRO02
We’re all crazy. I say drive it like you stole it and then do a restoration every couple of decades. I put about 8k miles on my car every year.
rhodyguy
I love the gorge.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Dec 15 2020, 09:34 PM) *

Use a leaf blower to dry everything too. Beautiful roads !

i wasn going to say the same thing, in fact i have done this as well,

Luke M
QUOTE(raynekat @ Dec 15 2020, 05:33 PM) *

I thinks I'm crazy at times.
Went out with a buddy driving through some great Oregon twisty's over the weekend.
It's fall so there's lot of leaves, debris, etc all over the damp roads.
Getting all over my pristine underside.
Can't let that sit.

So here I am 30 minutes after getting back home.

Click to view attachment

Oh, the horror....

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

After about 1 hour of liberal amounts of water, soap, brushing.....I could finally let loose a sigh of relief.
Better now.

Click to view attachment

I must be psychotic or something.
I'll be entering counseling soon enough.

w00t.gif

This is exactly what I'm afraid of doing after I get my 6 done and driving... wacko.gif

BTW.. The engine oil cooler doesn't look stock. What's the story there?

And yeah keep that baby clean. driving.gif
ValcoOscar
Good job, beautiful car.

Or wait 50 yrs and do this?

A local guy here in SoCal just finished this process for a car going to Australia soon.
Not cheap but great option for those not wanting to disturb the original finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYtQQBYdMQo

beerchug.gif

Oscar

MM1
Great stuff, Oscar!

Now - next step is have a treatment that does all this and neutralizes/seals rust all in one shot! That's not to much too ask, is it? chowtime.gif drooley.gif
Beeliner
I remember how fast the rust started when they came out...

You're doing the right thing.
mlindner
Thats great. When you go to all the work to make it right keep it clean...love it.Mine is not that perfect but the feeling was the same. I do not want junk up in my fender so I made fender liners to cover. Mine are GT style but 914 Rubber makes them for factory fit fenders.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.