Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help me ID the coating
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Superhawk996
Have a mystery on my hands.

I ordered both floor pans from AA. Ordered within a couple months of each other back around August 2018.

Floor pan on the right is clearly Galvanneal -- uniform grey coating of zinc that is annealed into the sheetmetal. Doesn't rust when left exposed or where it has localized scratches to bare metal. You'll notice on bottom of right side panel there is a little primer mist over the seat brackets, seat reinforcements, and the pedal box reinforcement where the parts were spot welded together. This makes sense to protect the welds from rusting in storage.

Click to view attachment

Floorpan on left was shipped with light coating of primer over 100% of both sides of the panel. I set them aside not paying much attention. Now that I'm getting ready to install I've noticed some differences.

The primer is laquer based and needs to be removed before I primer with 2K Epoxy. Upon removing the primer the metal is mottled in appearance.

Click to view attachment

Some sections are clearly coated 100% (with something) while other areas are mostly uncoated. Under the primer i've found the start of very, very minor surface rust. Not huge amounts, but enough that it makes no sense to prime these without 1st treating with Ospho to remove the surface rust. Painting over rust never makes sense. The coating is clearly not zinc based otherwise the surface rust wouldn't be there and the zinc would be serving as the sacrificial annode. So not Galvanneal and not Galvanized.

Click to view attachment

So the mystery is what is the coating? I think it is some sort of aluminized steel. It's definately not paint and seems to be metalurgically bonded to the steel but yet offers no corrosion protection to the exposed mottled surface. Any other guesses?
mate914
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Dec 16 2020, 09:25 AM) *

Have a mystery on my hands.

I ordered both floor pans from AA. Ordered within a couple months of each other back around August 2018.

Floor pan on the right is clearly Galvanneal -- uniform grey coating of zinc that is annealed into the sheetmetal. Doesn't rust when left exposed or where it has localized scratches to bare metal. You'll notice on bottom of right side panel there is a little primer mist over the seat brackets and reinforcements where the parts were spot welded together. This makes sense to protect the welds from rusting in storage.

Click to view attachment

Floorpan on left was shipped with light coating of primer over 100% of both sides of the panel. I set them aside not paying much attention. Now that I'm getting ready to install I've noticed some differences.

The primer is laquer based and needs to be removed before I primer with 2K Epoxy. Upon removing the primer the metal is mottled in appearance.

Click to view attachment

Some sections are clearly coated 100% while other areas are mostly uncoated. Under the primer i've found the start of very, very minor surface rust. Not huge amounts, but enough that it makes no sense to prime these without 1st treating with Ospho to remove the surface rust. Painting over rust never makes sense. The coating is clearly not zinc based otherwise the surface rust wouldn't be there and the zinc would be serving as the sacrificial annode. So not Galvanneal and not Galvanized.

Click to view attachment

So the mystery is what is the coating? I think it is some sort of aluminized steel. It's definately not paint and seems to be metalurgically bonded to the steel but yet offers no corrosion protection to the exposed mottled surface. Any other guesses?

Try a good degreaser....
Superhawk996

Already degreased as shown.
VaccaRabite
Did you intend to add pictures? The spacing seems like there should be pictures but I'm not seeing them.

Zach
Superhawk996
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Dec 16 2020, 10:02 AM) *

Did you intend to add pictures? The spacing seems like there should be pictures but I'm not seeing them.

Zach

Thanks Zach. Clearly I'm brain dead this morning. Accidentally deleted them while deleting from the duplicate post. chair.gif
mepstein
Maybe one is older stock than the other.
bdstone914
AA may be carrying some parts from Restoraion Designs metal which is galvannial. Posablly Stoddard brand as they make a left and right pan vs front and rear as does Dansk. I would call and ask they the coating.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.