Full Version: 9142430259
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we sweetened up this car a bitClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
Is that the M471 car?

Beebo Kanelle
Lovely.
Do you, or anybody else, make a hardtop conversion?
mlindner
Very nice George...I like the seats and with a little higher bolster, did you make them or are they available somewhere. Mark
BillJ
That was the recent car out of Europe that was auctioned. Really pretty. How clean was the car and what did you have to do to get it fully correct? Those seats are great.
Cairo94507
Nice looking car Doc. beerchug.gif
johnhora
Very Nice George...the seats look great with the Recaro and corduroy fabrics.
flipb
QUOTE(BillJ @ Dec 16 2020, 12:47 PM) *

That was the recent car out of Europe that was auctioned. Really pretty. How clean was the car and what did you have to do to get it fully correct? Those seats are great.

Here's the recent auction listing.

Looks like they restored all the brightwork, period-corrected the mirrors and antenna, and I'm sure plenty of other details.
JOEPROPER
sure looks sweet to me. Nice work!
pt_700
what's the 2nd floor lever (black knob) ahead of the shifter?

the red one's familiar, heat correct?
mlindner
Black knob, probably cold start idle control...But what with the ignition on the steering column, four not six.
eric9144
QUOTE(pt_700 @ Dec 16 2020, 10:56 AM) *

what's the 2nd floor lever (black knob) ahead of the shifter?

the red one's familiar, heat correct?

The black one is the hand throttle, a lever like the heater that works against the throttle to allow for warming up the carbs.
johnhora
1972 MY 914-6 had the ignition switch on the steering column like the 914-4
mlindner
Thanks Johnhora, did not know that. Best, Mark
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(johnhora @ Dec 16 2020, 01:37 PM) *

1972 MY 914-6 had the ignition switch on the steering column like the 914-4

That was a factory built six for 72. They used a /4 chassis, and put the 914/6 suspension and drivetrain in it. They also had a short adapter harness between the /6 relay board and the /4 wiring harness to connect the two.

The 72 914-6 was never officially imported into the US. Any 1972 factory six in the US was a grey market car.

Root_Werks
That is inspiring! My 914 might look similar to that...someday.
Cairo94507
I knew about the '72 anomalies, but never knew they were not imported into the USA and any here are grey market cars. Learn something all the time on the best site ever. beerchug.gif

You know, we did not reinstall the throttle lever for Weber/engine warm-up as I have Motronic injection in my car. Now I am wondering if we should have reinstalled the hand throttle lever......
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 16 2020, 04:32 PM) *

I knew about the '72 anomalies, but never knew they were not imported into the USA and any here are grey market cars. Learn something all the time on the best site ever. beerchug.gif

You know, we did not reinstall the throttle lever for Weber/engine warm-up as I have Motronic injection in my car. Now I am wondering if we should have reinstalled the hand throttle lever......

When I first got the 4.0 running in my car, I left the hand throttle in. But one day I bumped it, and the engine revved up really high when cold. I didn't like that. So I removed the hand throttle. Motronic doesn't need it.

914forme
QUOTE(Beebo Kanelle @ Dec 16 2020, 12:15 PM) *

Lovely.
Do you, or anybody else, make a hardtop conversion?

Tangerine Racing used to do it, and PMS has done it, as have other. No body is making a kit currently.
bdstone914
QUOTE(mlindner @ Dec 16 2020, 01:12 PM) *

Black knob, probably cold start idle control...But what with the ignition on the steering column, four not six.

@mlindner
It is a six. All of the 72 sixes had four type steering columns and were only sold in Europe.
Lucky9146
QUOTE(flipb @ Dec 16 2020, 10:40 AM) *

Looks like they restored all the brightwork, period-corrected the mirrors and antenna, and I'm sure plenty of other details.

Thanks for adding the auction listing which had at least 60 detail pictures. Learned a lot looking at them. Very surprised it was not a bit cleaner underneath the engine and hope all that is getting addressed too.
Maybe I'll have to start saying my '74 GT conversion is a '72 then the ignition on the column is a non issue biggrin.gif happy11.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg
rhodyguy
What does the underdash box with 5 knobs control?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
it has a sophisticated blaupunkt cassette with an equalizer installed

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Dec 17 2020, 10:24 AM) *

What does the underdash box with 5 knobs control?

dr914@autoatlanta.com
we spent two weeks with one and a half men on it,. Hard to believe that someone butched this car like they did. Funny we had a video tape simply titled 9142430259 sent to us in 1995. Car had not changed one bit. After some massaging, it started right up and sounded GREAT Has limited slip and a transmission oil cooler and a 911s front strut assembly with aluminum S calipers

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Dec 17 2020, 10:00 AM) *

Thanks for adding the auction listing which had at least 60 detail pictures. Learned a lot looking at them. Very surprised it was not a bit cleaner underneath the engine and hope all that is getting addressed too.
Maybe I'll have to start saying my '74 GT conversion is a '72 then the ignition on the column is a non issue biggrin.gif happy11.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg

dr914@autoatlanta.com
porsche got real cheap in 1972 as far as sixes were concerned. Complete four cylinder steering column wiper and turn signal switches, two speed wiper motor and tire pressure activated windshield washer system! We now have three 72 models here: 9132430 240 257 and 259. All of course euro models and very four cylinder looking

(at least they have the retractible seatbelt pods made into the body

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Dec 17 2020, 07:19 AM) *

QUOTE(mlindner @ Dec 16 2020, 01:12 PM) *

@mlindner
It is a six. All of the 72 sixes had four type steering columns and were only sold in Europe.

BillJ
Going into collection or flip?
930cabman
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Dec 17 2020, 02:50 PM) *

we spent two weeks with one and a half men on it,. Hard to believe that someone butched this car like they did. Funny we had a video tape simply titled 9142430259 sent to us in 1995. Car had not changed one bit. After some massaging, it started right up and sounded GREAT Has limited slip and a transmission oil cooler and a 911s front strut assembly with aluminum S calipers

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Dec 17 2020, 10:00 AM) *

driving.gif white914.jpg

Who was the "half man" working on the project?, somebody's son
bigkensteele
From the pictures, it looks like there are a lot of rust bubbles on the front fenders by the turn signals and where they tried to join the cowl, rear fenders under the taillights and under the sails, and door jams. Gonna be a lot of work to bring this one back properly.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
you know it, many bubbles from bad paint prep. Is actually a rust free car underneath and has not been hit, except a bit in the right rear quarter. However the car is the car and is certainly rare enough to take the time restoring

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Dec 17 2020, 05:52 PM) *

From the pictures, it looks like there are a lot of rust bubbles on the front fenders by the turn signals and where they tried to join the cowl, rear fenders under the taillights and under the sails, and door jams. Gonna be a lot of work to bring this one back properly.

dr914@autoatlanta.com
I am getting too old to keep all of these cars.

QUOTE(BillJ @ Dec 17 2020, 12:54 PM) *

Going into collection or flip?

wonkipop
bit of an aussie sense of humour and understatement in you dr. 914?

2 weeks and 1.5 blokes. !

just noticed the seam filler strips are back in the cowl.
the goodings auction shows the photo with them bogged over.
(those goodings photos are eye openers - a lot of bubbles).

and all the holes drilled in the firewall!?

its a transformed car by the looks of it.
and it only took a bit of mucking around for 2 weeks hey.
someone should send you an honorary citizenship for that way of putting things.

its still got a cracked gear shift knob!!!!

why not.
those things are unobtainable.
i'm nursing a crack in my cars shifter.
damn things. like old telephones.
the new shifter knobs from porsche in aus are $300 AUD.
and i bet they are not bakerlite either.
i think if mine finally gives up the ghost and falls off i will settle for a dansk and put the original away with all the other dead parts of the skeleton in its cardboard box coffin for the historians out there to analyse. what else can you do?

keep up the good work.

Tbrown4x4
Gold crayons taste the best.

(Sorry. One of my A-hole co-workers added that.)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.