Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: restoration of 914-6 #1937
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bam914
So my dad purchased this car in the spring of 1992. It was a pretty straight car minus the really bad color change. We started working on it later that year. I started on some of the rust repair and got a good bit of it done. Then life and other projects took over. Then I got married had a kid other projects came up. Then about 6 years ago I decided it was time to get this project going again. We took it to a painter that came highly recommend. Well it sat there for nearly six years with the only work that was done was having it sand blasted the first year it was there. So we decided to go pick it up and I would finish the rest of the rust repair. That was in July. I finally have it ready to go to the new painter in January. This chassis had a lot of pin hole rust under a bunch of the seam sealer. I was able to weld up all the pin holes up. It was a ton of work. During the last couple of years I have cleaned up the carbs and the transmission. We had all the hardware replated. I am now working on getting all the engine hardware replated so I can start putting the engine back together. Here are so pictures of the progress so far.

IPB ImageIMG_6150 by Blake Meredith, on Flickr]My Webpage[/url]
IPB ImageIMG_6149 by Blake Meredith, on Flickr]My Webpage[/url]
IPB ImageIMG_6148 by Blake Meredith, on Flickr]My Webpage[/url]
IPB ImageUntitled by Blake Meredith, on Flickr]My Webpage[/url]
bam914
914Sixer
Nice to have another -6 coming back to life biggrin.gif
gereed75
Cool project. Crazy story. Good luck with it.
Cairo94507
Great project. I had a flash back when you said it sat for nearly 6 years...... Glad you are on it. beerchug.gif
Root_Werks
Very cool story and nice progress! Keep it the great work.
FourBlades
Blake,

Looks like a great project, how is it coming! beerchug.gif

I am close to putting the engine you built me so long ago into my IMSA 914.

Hope you are well.

John

bam914
Car is back from the painters.

Cairo94507
Oh Boy! Now let the fun begin. Paint looks nice- huge milestone. beerchug.gif
sixnotfour
beerchug.gif first.gif
Montreal914
NICE!!!! smile.gif
roundtwo
Wow. Looking great and with meaning.

Hey, is you dad Al? I’ve talked to him sometime ago and he is a very kind man. A really solid likable guy. Hope that’s him!
roundtwo

Hey, is you dad Al? I’ve talked to him sometime ago and he is a very kind man. A really solid likable guy. Hope that’s him!
bam914
QUOTE(roundtwo @ Aug 17 2021, 09:18 PM) *

Yep That's my dad.
krazykonrad
That looks like a great project.

QUOTE(roundtwo @ Aug 17 2021, 08:19 PM) *

Your dad is an all-around great guy. I remember when he helped me out when I was a brand new 914 owner just coming out of school.
TRS63
Cool story, looking forward to the next update smile.gif

Antoine
mate914
QUOTE(bam914 @ Aug 17 2021, 09:05 PM) *

Al\Blake,
Great job! Your car was in a lot better shape then #597.
When did Porsche stop cutting the large round hole for fan belt adjustment?

Matt
Cairo94507
@mate914 Porsche, to the best of my knowledge, assuming you are talking about an access hole cut into the firewall, never cut a large round hole for fan belt adjustment. beerchug.gif
mate914
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 1 2021, 12:07 PM) *

@mate914 Porsche, to the best of my knowledge, assuming you are talking about an access hole cut into the firewall, never cut a large round hole for fan belt adjustment. beerchug.gif

Thanks,
I did not know that... I'm still learning.
Matt
Cairo94507
No worries. That's the cool thing about 914 World we all learn all of the time. beerchug.gif
Root_Werks
mueba.gif

That turned out great! I'm a bit jealous as my 914 is still at the paint shop. It's always a good day when a 914 comes back with nice, shinny paint!
TomE
QUOTE(bam914 @ Aug 17 2021, 07:05 PM) *

LOL. That looks like my six in my garage! Only difference is my hood sits against the wall and my trunk is installed.
bam914
I have been working on the car a little more lately. I got side tracked after buying a race car back in Sept. of '22. Spent some time fixing it up so my daughter and I could do some autocrossing together. But I am back on the 9146 and making pretty good progress. Plan is to have done by the end of the year.

IPB ImageIMG_7249 by Blake Meredith, on Flickr

IPB ImageIMG_6921 by Blake Meredith, on Flickr

IPB ImageLBCD5723 by Blake Meredith, on Flickr

IPB ImageIMG_7660 by Blake Meredith, on Flickr
BillJ
Looks great!
mate914
Looks great. Keep pushing, I know I am.
Matt
Cairo94507
Very nice to seeing it coming together. beerchug.gif
Geezer914
Very nice, love the color.
porschetub
QUOTE(bam914 @ Sep 29 2023, 12:43 PM) *

I have been working on the car a little more lately. I got side tracked after buying a race car back in Sept. of '22. Spent some time fixing it up so my daughter and I could do some autocrossing together. But I am back on the 9146 and making pretty good progress. Plan is to have done by the end of the year.

IPB ImageIMG_7660 by Blake Meredith, on Flickr

Very nice ,any plans for upgrades to the engine ? ,cheers.
bam914
Engine is going to be stock.
Gint
Pretty cool. Looks familiar.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.