Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Watkins Glen In-car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisFoley
Video Link
Download it to watch, about 7 minutes long. smile.gif
Brad Roberts
Chris,

Starting Monday here at the shop I'll have some help handling the phones and customers. I plan to warm up the whole Runoffs thing again with Victory Lane and help Andy get things rolling. We are stupid busy here at the shop. My job consist's of: Service writer/parts ordering/phone answerer/sales/marketing/bill payer/accountant/graphics/computer guy. It is a full time job just trying to keep parts flowing for two VERY fast factory techs.

I havent forgotten. Life got in the way.

B
ChrisFoley
Brad,
When you do get something, post it in the nailed thread.
I'm being patient, but the plan coordinator (William Harris) is a little edgy. biggrin.gif
joea9146
Looks Good... Thanks
Brad Roberts
The MG's? sure do "squirt" through the esses. I love how you can put the 914 wherever you want without issue. It looks like the CRX's give you hell also.

I like it. Still watching it.

B
Brad Roberts
The 914 towards the end must have missed a shift or something. He flew by like YOU missed a shift?? What happened? Was that who I *think* it was (Eric Madsen)?

B
redshift
Hey Joe...

blink.gif

Good to see you... both... you too Joe.

M
ChrisFoley
I think all the Nissans and Hondas in the video are in the GT Lites class. The maroon MGB that passed me going into the bus-stop is driven by former E Prod National Champ Craig Chima. I was trying to let him through easily.
The blue Mazda that passed me on the first lap went on to win the FP race.
At the end I lifted to let Erik by as he was lapping me. The checker came out two laps early due to the crashed MG that I had been racing with.
Brad Roberts
I watched the video without sound.. I'm sure I would heard your "lift". It appeared you flew past him.. and then he re-passed you.

Good stuff. Very smooth driving. No "close calls". Good and clean.

What shocks are you running? The car appears to be pretty bumpy.

B
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Jul 16 2005, 10:33 PM)
What shocks are you running? The car appears to be pretty bumpy.

Revalved Bilsteins. I don't feel a thing inside the car. It's very stable. Now if I can just get some horsepower behind me I'll keep up with the frontrunners in my class.

Oh, the car I "flew" past was Ed Givler's, just before Erik caught us both, putting Ed down 2 laps and me for the first time. Erik drove an awesome race for sure.
Brad Roberts
Cool on the Bilsteins. I *get* to deal with Bilstein 2-3 times a week. Their R+D 100ksqft building is 15 minutes from me. We are one of the test shops for their PSS9's kits for 993's and up. They develop and then have us test. Pretty cool. I hold Bilstein in a new light.

B
URY914
Cool how you can see the mirror to see what's behind you.

You are livin' a dream... wink.gif

Paul
ChrisFoley
I shipped the shocks to CA and told them what I was doing with them. I really have no idea what they did for me, but they work! I think they might have installed shorter shafts in the rears for one thing.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (URY914 @ Jul 16 2005, 10:55 PM)
You are livin' a dream... wink.gif

A "tangerine dream". laugh.gif

When I wake up there's gonna be a big credit card bill I think.

A good part of this season has been more af a nightmare actually. Before the season started I stated my intention of competing for a National championship and it seems like nothing has gone right since. Maybe it will come together by the Runoffs. :fingerscrossed:
URY914
Chris,
Another question about your car... You don't run a rear lip spoiler. Is this not allowed by the rules or you don't feel it does anything?

I thinking of cutting mine off and wondered about yours.

Thanks,

P
PatW
Very smooth driving. Seeing your videos are a treat. Keep'em coming!
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (URY914 @ Jul 16 2005, 11:19 PM)
You don't run a rear lip spoiler. Is this not allowed by the rules or you don't feel it does anything?

Rules don't allow rear spoilers in Production.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (PatW @ Jul 17 2005, 12:00 AM)
Very smooth driving.

Thanks Pat!

This is a bargraph of my laptimes.
Brad Roberts
The only time I have ever seen a real issue with a 914 lifting in the rear: 125mph+ I'm doubting Chris runs any tracks that allow him to maintain that speed for any length of time. The rear end gets light, but it doesnt get crazy or anything. I'm always amazed when I see cars with big wings gets passed by cars with NO wings. The last time we ran Daytona with a GT3RSR, we set the wing at ZERO. It was there for looks basically (Randy Pobst was driving) I'm sure it added *some* side to side stability, but even at 1/2 degree it was shaving several MPH off the average speed (which is why the CUP cars run as well as they do..less aero drag)

B
Aaron Cox
awesome video - did you get the RAT motor ficed and reinstalled?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Jul 17 2005, 12:42 AM)
125mph+ I'm doubting Chris runs any tracks that allow him to maintain that speed for any length of time.

I three weeks I'm planning to race at Pocono.
The front straight is very long, coming off a 110mph banked turn. Last year I got above 120 and with a good engine I will be above 125 for sure.
The thing to avoid is a front airdam that produces downforce at high speed when you have no rear spoiler.

did you get the RAT motor fixed and reinstalled?

No, I was driving the old standby 140hp engine. I won't be struggling to finish 7th once I have a real race engine.
We do think we found out what caused the RAT built engine to go kaput the first time around, and I should have it in the car before the runoffs. Have to wait and see. I won't have it until it gets Jake's seal of approval.
don9146
QUOTE (Racer Chris @ Jul 17 2005, 07:27 AM)
No, I was driving the old standby 140hp engine. I won't be struggling to finish 7th once I have a real race engine.
We do think we found out what caused the RAT built engine to go kaput the first time around, and I should have it in the car before the runoffs. Have to wait and see. I won't have it until it gets Jake's seal of approval.

Whay made the RAT type IV go kaput? I thought it was old gas in the tank. Did you find something else?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (don9146 @ Jul 17 2005, 12:46 PM)
What made the RAT type IV go kaput? I thought it was old gas in the tank. Did you find something else?

I can't go into detail about my engine right now but Jake has some new, sophisticated data acquisition equipment for his dyno that pointed to a specific cause during a recent test. Based on the opinions of some very technically experienced individuals we still believe the old gas was an important factor.
Once this season is over I hope we can go back to being candid about what we're doing to make a competetive Type4 race engine.
ChrisFoley
icon_bump.gif
Just putting on page one again so people who didn't see it over the weekend will have a chance. smile.gif
Lou W
That was great, also enjoyed watching the rear view mirror. smilie_pokal.gif
Rleog
Thanks, Chris. Being in your seat would be ideal, but "being there" vicariously via your video is fun. Kudo's to you and the crew.
balljoint
Vicariously is right. Man do I ever get mad when I get passed while I am sitting in my office watching that video. mad.gif

Awesome stuff. Keep it up. clap.gif
Randal
Nice lines Chris.

I couldn't believe the early apexes some of the people you were following/passing were taking.
Jake Raby
Chris' engine suffered from a lot of little things..

The main thing was the fuel closely followed by a carb that wanted a tad more fuel than the rest to run even EGT....

With the new data logging equipment the RAT Dyno has never been better, or so "Multi faceted"..
nebreitling
nice video, nice driving. very smooth.

god, i got to get a spec-miata and do this...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.