Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1976 Exhaust system conversion to earlier system
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AzGuy238
I have a 1976 914 2.0 with the catalytic type exhaust system. The heat exchangers have the single outlet with 3 bolts. There appears to be small headers at the front of the heat exchangers. Does anyone know if I can change out to an earlier model heat exchanger and muffler from say a 1972-74 914? What parts would I need to do this? thanks, Wayne
VaccaRabite
Yes. You can backdate everything. Very easy to do, and I did it on my car. Since you live in Texas, you probably aren't concerned about heat. But if you are, you wll have to source some of the new plumbing for that since the 75-76 heater ducting won't work with the earlier exhaust.

Zach
914werke
Its done all the time, but there is a few parts to the conversion:
HE's - SSI or OE for your 76 try to source the 2.0L version
Muffler - specific to the HE's 2.0/1.7-1.8L
Hanger - again specific to HE's (see above)
J tubes -
Warm air elbows -
Branch pipes -
Cooling tin - (below)
Bleyseng
Sell your exhaust set up to a California guy and look for the early SSI heat exchangers and all the connection parts via the want ads. For the muffler it depends on what you want as there is the Triad setup, Ben’s making a SS one and Bursch.
rhodyguy
And L(trans specific)&R warm air guides and L&R J tubes. You will need everything forward of the HEs. Your Haynes has good illustrations of the exhaust systems. Try to buy a package from one person. Multiple boxes will windup costing plenty.
rjames
Good thread for reference:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=203694

barefoot
The PET has illustrations of all the exhaust system parts for various years

Click to view attachment
GregAmy
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Dec 18 2020, 03:09 PM) *

Sell your exhaust set up to a California guy and look for the early SSI heat exchangers and all the connection parts via the want ads.

agree.gif

How much is the Cali stuff worth?

Living in Montgomery (near Houston), the OP might consider selling that for a good penny and then going with a good Tangering Racing exhaust and not worrying about heat exchangers...if I remember my Houston "winters" well then they rarely see much below around 60*...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.