Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Body Tab Covers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bkrantz
After my repaint I don't want to reuse the crusty original plastic covers for all the tabs that hold wiring, brake lines, etc.

I bought the material that 914 Rubber sells but it seems too wide. It has the correct thickness, but when the tube is flattened it is more than 7/8 inches wide (about 22 mm). The original stuff flattens to about 9/16 inch (about 14 mm).

Mark, do you have a narrower material? Do other folks have other sources?
altitude411
cut your material length wise, trim and glue with contact adhesive or this

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Heat-Shrink-T...3D6X8&psc=1

also get some of these...

https://www.amazon.com/Band-Aid-Flexible-Ad...8387&sr=8-5

raynekat
Maybe some shrink wrap tubing for wiring connections could work?

I used the 914Rubber covers on my car and they seemed to fit fine....
Krieger
agree.gif I used shrink wrap. Easy, cheap and fast!
bbrock
QUOTE(raynekat @ Dec 18 2020, 08:25 PM) *

I used the 914Rubber covers on my car and they seemed to fit fine....

Same here. I had to buy two sections to have enough for the whole car though.
rgalla9146
Why not original parts ?
Wash in hot water, rinse, dry, install.
They become very pliable when warm.
Pretty sure the used parts suppliers would be happy to sell as many as you need.
bkrantz
OK, full disclosure: I am not 100% sure the stuff I think is too big is from 914 Rubber. I know I bought 10 ft from them (and the length of big tubing is 10 ft).

Here is a comparison, along with a ruler. New stuff on the left, an original piece on the right.
bkrantz
And here is a short slice of each on a body tab.
bkrantz
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Dec 19 2020, 06:19 AM) *

Why not original parts ?
Wash in hot water, rinse, dry, install.
They become very pliable when warm.
Pretty sure the used parts suppliers would be happy to sell as many as you need.

Most of the ones I removed have thick red overspray and/or undercoating. I do not want to go through cleaning this off.
iankarr
The ones I've been using on my bumblebee are from 914rubber and they fit great. It's much shinier than the ones in your pic...so maybe not the same?
yellowporky
I am not sure what you ended up with from 914 rubber but like the others here I had a very nice fitting product from them

Click to view attachment
Mikey914
I can tell you the wide stuff is not from 914rubber.
We matched with the size and density with the correct material. Yeilding a correct glossy surface like OEM.
They are the correct part and only $4 a ft.

Others will sell you a shrink tube. Ours will grip the harnesses like the OEM material.
By the way it takes 11' of material to do an entire car.
Mark
kroelofsen
Hi I used the 914rubber ones and they fit great...
drem914
QUOTE(kroelofsen @ Dec 20 2020, 10:07 AM) *

Hi I used the 914rubber ones and they fit great...

agree.gif except I ordered 10' when I repainted the car a couple years ago and wound up short a couple tabs. headbang.gif
Guess I need to order another foot.
bkrantz
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 19 2020, 09:44 PM) *

I can tell you the wide stuff is not from 914rubber.
We matched with the size and density with the correct material. Yeilding a correct glossy surface like OEM.
They are the correct part and only $4 a ft.

Others will sell you a shrink tube. Ours will grip the harnesses like the OEM material.
By the way it takes 11' of material to do an entire car.
Mark

Hi, Mark. You are correct.

I solved the mystery today. I found the correct stuff (from 914 Rubber) under the bed in our guest room, where I have been storing and organizing all the parts I ordered. When my son visited unexpectedly a few weeks ago, I quickly moved stuff to make room.

Anyway, here's my 10 ft roll. (Mark, your web site suggests 9 ft.)
bkrantz
And the check fit (new stuff in front).
raynekat
Mystery solved.....
IronHillRestorations
I use black PVC jacket that I also use for wiring harnesses. Fit's perfect. I'll have to double check size and how much I've got
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.