Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What am I looking at here
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Robarabian
Was going to do a valve adjust on a motor that is outside the car. The adjuster screws are compromised on all 4 valve stems.

When I looked closer at the valve springs / stems, it appears 3 are in line, one is "in"... on the opposite side, 2 are "In" and two seem to be "out"

What is going on here. The heads are stamped GEX (old engine rebuilding company now long gone I believe).

Whats going on here? Seats? Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

This is driver side. Next screen will be Passenger side.
Robarabian
Here is the passenger side. Click to view attachment
914sgofast2
QUOTE(Robarabian @ Dec 19 2020, 07:21 PM) *

Here is the passenger side. Click to view attachment

GEX was a cheapo engine rebuilder of VW motors. Used nothing but worn out parts to do its “rebuilds.” Search the word GEX over in the Sambas Bay Window Bus Forum. Those heads on your motor are probably shot and will need more $$$ to rebuild correctly than buying new heads from Len Hoffman would cost. The seats are worn out.
Dave_Darling
Sounds like you are pretty screwed. You will want to pull the heads off for inspection at a minimum. I don't think the odds are very good, though. And GEX is ... pretty well known, shall we say?

--DD
Robarabian
Thanks guys.... I figured... Pulled them off... nothing obvious inside but I would gamble the seats were not done right. All 8 valve adjustment screws were torn up pretty badly too. So the engine was certainly not loved. I didnt find any metal in the oil when I drained and strained it which is at least a good sign. ...
930cabman
QUOTE(Robarabian @ Dec 20 2020, 10:32 PM) *

Thanks guys.... I figured... Pulled them off... nothing obvious inside but I would gamble the seats were not done right. All 8 valve adjustment screws were torn up pretty badly too. So the engine was certainly not loved. I didnt find any metal in the oil when I drained and strained it which is at least a good sign. ...

Maybe you can get away with a new set of heads and be done.
Shivers
Re-ring it before popping on another set of heads.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.