Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rubber bumper top mount repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Good morning gentlemen.

I’ll do some searching but wanted to ask if these mounts are repair/replaceable. This shows where one appears to be missing and a “good” one for comparison. This is the back side of the front runner bumper top.

Thanks!

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
mepstein
Replacement. Not really. They rust from the inside out. Repairable, sort of. Epoxy in a stud for a temporary repair.
914Sixer
Maybe a trip to the hardware store and see if some sort of expansion stud holder might work.
Tdskip
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 20 2020, 10:42 AM) *

Replacement. Not really. They rust from the inside out. Repairable, sort of. Epoxy in a stud for a temporary repair.

Thanks Mark, so find a correct length stud and try to make sure it is centered I suppose. It's not under much stress so probably doesn't need to be that strong.
rhodyguy
The epoxy/bolt method works swell. Make sure the thread is correct for bolt. Set bolt depth with a nut and washer. You need the black plastic disk. It helps to center the bolt for the bumper. If a top is wavy that's the way it is until you're ready to buy one or both tops.
bdstone914
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Dec 20 2020, 09:45 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 20 2020, 10:42 AM) *

Thanks Mark, so find a correct length stud and try to make sure it is centered I suppose. It's not under much stress so probably doesn't need to be that strong.

Put a 6mm bolt in with the head first. Epoxy it in and use the bumper to center the stud.
Put plastic over the epoxy so you dont stick the pad to the bumper.

@tdskip
bbrock
It is an easy fix and if done right, the repair will be as strong as the original. Here is where I describe it on my build thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2841725 and more here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2854777

Basically the process is to drill out the old stud and retap the hole for a new 6mm stud. Screw the new stud in with locktite, and glue the plastic reinforcing disc back in using 3M Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200 as described in this thread that really should be moved to the Classics.: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=240803&hl=

That sealant is a near perfect match for the original bumper top rubber and forms a very strong bond. The original stud has a button head buried in the urethane that leaves plenty of metal to tap and screw a new stud into for a strong mechanical attachment. Be careful when you drill because once you get through the steel button head of the old stud, the bit will grab the urethane and try to run right through the top of the cover. Use a drill press if possible for better control. If you do run through, you have the sealant handy for a nearly invisible repair. Ask me how I know. huh.gif

This pic shows a bumper tit stud I repaired but I did a couple of bumper top studs as well. It is a "good as new" repair.
IPB Image
Tdskip
Thanks for all of the responses and the suggestions. Will give this a go later today.
Tdskip
Well that was pretty easy. I ended up having some washers on hand that allowed me to locate the bolts properly, looks like this one will be able to be used again.

Thank you for the encouragement.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.