Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '70 1.7 clicks but starter does not crank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
macnichol
Pretty much the title. I've done an oil change on the car, washed the old "vinegar" smelling fuel and drained the lot. I've checked the battery, still at 12.4~ volts, this should be enough to get the starter going right? When I turn the key to the "start" position, all I hear is a single, kinda quiet "click" coming from what I can hear in the engine bay on the passenger side. Does this mean the starter is bad? The previous owner said the starter was on the way out but I didn't want to throw parts at it if it was unneeded.

Also, I think my relay board is looking a little suspect, I've attached 2 photos here, any good ways to clean these without risk of damage?

Is there a checklist of process of elimination things I can go through so I don't waste time and money?
Shivers
If you have or know someone with a starter gun, put it on and see if bypassing the starter circuit makes the starter work. Go from there. Vinegar as a bath can clean them pretty well.
rgalla9146
Is the battery known to be good ?
12.4 volts does not mean good battery condition.
For now try jumper cables to a running car.
This will at least help you to know about
the battery, the cars battery cables and the starter.
Tdskip
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Dec 21 2020, 09:49 AM) *

Is the battery known to be good ?
12.4 volts does not mean good battery condition.
For now try jumper cables to a running car.
This will at least help you to know about
the battery, the cars battery cables and the starter.

^^^^^^
Good advice.

If that doesn’t work make sure all the ground are clean and tight (especially at battery)

If that still doesn’t it your solenoid may be bad.

Let us know how this comes along.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.