Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Breaks squeel but pads not low?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
snflupigus
I pulled my front wheels off just now because my right front break has developed a squeel while breaking soft. it was worse a month ago than it is now so i figured I'd better get in there before i neglect it too long. squeel than no squeel usually means the squeeker is gone and you've waited to long right??

The thing is, upon inspection it looks like there is plenty of pad left?? - also, if my front was converted to 911 front suspension would it definately have 5 lug hubs or could some items be changed and not others? That is probably a really retarded question that i could find the answer to on the boards somewhere but while i'm typing... cool.gif

and my right front hub spins like a top with 0 resistance but a slight shhhh scrape at one point on the turn... if i set it in motion it seems like it will never stop.

however, the left front spins with more resistance and doesnt keep going for as long... and the shhhhhhh is present durring a larger part of the rotation than the right.
bd1308
make sure the calipers aren't stuck......
bleed the system, try again.
Brad Roberts
Sounds like some loose wheel bearings on the side that spins easily.

What kinds of pads did you buy? If you paid under $40 for the pads you are standing a 90% chance they are going to squeal anyway.

5 lug is 5 lug. Solid rotors versus vented rotors. You would know.

B
snflupigus
Upon further/closer inspection. The left front (the one that doesnt spin as well btw) outer pad has about half pad thickness of the right. The right outer looks almost full new. I did notice the spreader spring on the right side has one of tabs looks broken off. It's resting at an angle while the left side one seems to be correct.

i dont think anything is stuck... i mean i've been driving the car for a little over a month since the squeel started. It was a high pitched brake squeel but only at soft to medium braking pressure - if i just put a little more into the pedal the squeel goes away. It's just annoying and I thought I'd better check it out before i ruin a hub.

I bought the stock pads. organic? The only thing BAP Import Parts had in stock. If it is highly suggested to upgrade to metalic I'll take them back.
Elliot_Cannon
Next time you drive the car, make a quick stop with your hands off the wheel. If it pulls one way or the other it means one of the pistons in the caliper opposite the turn is sticking. If it pulls to the right, the problem is in the left caliper.

The squeeling could be many things. You can buy anti squeel stuff at the FLAPS. Permatex makes stuff in a spray can that you spray on the back of the pads. I you overhaul the calipers and don't properly position the pistons it can cause a squeel. You can also buy break grease that is spread on the edges of the pads. The squeel is from the pads vibrating in the caliper. I got the same problem with my car and am still working on it. Good luck.
Cheers, Elliot
snflupigus
no pull to any side really...

I think because the front left is more than half gone & I bought the pads already, i'll just get some of that anti squeel stuff and apply it when i replace them... i'll see what the backs look like tomorrow.

also, what is the spec on the rotors? how thick/thin should they be within?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.